• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

Thanks fifi, I use the 3M scrubber too (used the nylon scrubbers before that great invention) but I'll try the bleach later tonight.  I have some short ribs braising in a lot of red wine and port at the moment so that should stain the pot nicely once again.

Since I use my pots many times per week, perhaps I'm actually wearing the enamel down and the cast iron is beginning to show through.

I'll let you know if chlorine does the trick.

You might try using some Barkeepers Friend with the Scotch Brite pad. Just don't be too aggressive. I've not seen a stain yet that I can't get out with this combination. The oxalic acid in it works really well. Sorry if this has been mentioned before--didn't want to read every post. :wink:

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

Well, I attempted the overnight soak with bleach and unfortunately the dark "stain" is still very much there. At what kind of store does one purchase "Barkeeper's Friend"? I've never heard of the product.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Try any grocery store. It should be in the same area as AJAX and such; it's just a lot gentler than othhr abrasive cleaners. But you also might try finding the LC cleaner in a cookware shop, since it apparently works really well and will not hurt the enamel.

If you use BKF, I would suggest a very small amount with a little warm water in the pot to make a paste and then gently rubbing it with a sponge or soft cloth. The less pressure and less abrasion the better I would think.

But try to find the LC cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cleaning question. I was in Sur La Table and picked up their brand of cleaner. It is supposed to be the same thing as the Le Creuset cleaner. My favorite "little white pot" had some metal marks from using ss utensils (bad fifi) and a curious yellowish stain from the braised chicken with olives. The cleaner did a great job on the metal marks but it didn't touch the stain. I am not too surprised as I understand that the cleaner something like an acidic base with very fine abrasive, sort of like jeweler's rouge. So I guess it is back to the clorox for the stain.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the actual Le Creuset brand?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

So, I was recently given a 6 qt. oval stoneware covered dish. When I saw that Le Creuset box, I tell you my heart just leapt. But then I noticed it wasn't cast iron, but stoneware. It is still a wonderful gift, don't get me wrong. And it is still a gorgeous piece of work.

But, silly me, I had thought all Le Creuset was cast iron. So, what can I do with this beautiful thing - I assume it is strictly for oven use? Le Creuset calls it "serveware." Do any of you have experience with / advice concerning Le Creuset Stoneware?

Robin Tyler McWaters

We have a couple of the stoneware baking dishes, and they are the greatest thing since air. If by "oven use only", you mean "as opposed to cooktop" that would be correct. But you can of course microwave it, freeze it, etc.

They make great serving pieces as well, as the "serveware" name would indicate.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 3 months later...

I checked out this special yesterday and today I found out that somehow I accidentally bought it. I fixed my "one click shopping" so I won't do this again. The price is great, but I don't really need it, nor did I need to spend $139. Oh well.

Thanks, my husband already suggested I return it. I wouldn't have known about my "purchase" at all, until the arrival of the merchandise, had it not been for the confirmation in my email this morning. I immediately tried to cancel the order because it had not yet shipped, but I was not allowed to. I guess it was an Amazon vendor rather than Amazon itself. Oh well, live and learn. At least it's a nice pot instead of a piece of junk.

Thanks, my husband already suggested I return it.  I wouldn't have known about my "purchase" at all, until the arrival of the merchandise, had it not been for the confirmation in my email this morning.  I immediately tried to cancel the order because it had not yet shipped, but I was not allowed to.  I guess it was an Amazon vendor rather than Amazon itself.  Oh well, live and learn.  At least it's a nice pot instead of a piece of junk.

I got this same deal, minus the 25$ coupon and it came from Amazon. The other vendors didnt have the extra skinny grill. Im sure you could cancel it, just email amazon and ask them. If that fails, ask them to give you the additional 25$ off for the promotion.

I'm not planning on getting rid of it, I just wasn't sure what to do with it because of the ridges. I've made panini on a Le Creuset griddle (a square one with a handle, and no ridges). Coincidentally, I bought a panini press (on sale for $10) just the other day. I was using a cast iron frying pan as a weight, but it had a tendency to stick. I'd heat it up on another burner and then weigh down the sandwiches.

Does anyone have the le creuset "doufeu" dutch oven? it is oval shaped, but it has a recessed lid that is supposed to hold ice cubes and then create condensation under the lid during cooking. i have a friend who swears by it, but I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experience with this version and how it compares to the standard dutch ovens. link to it on the le creuset site below.

le creuset doufeu oven

lisa

Does anyone have the le creuset "doufeu" dutch oven?  it is oval shaped, but it has a recessed lid that is supposed to hold ice cubes and then create condensation under the lid during cooking.  i have a friend who swears by it, but I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experience with this version and how it compares to the standard dutch ovens.  link to it on the le creuset site below. 

le creuset doufeu oven

lisa

I have the doufeu. I bought it mainly because I liked that it's all one piece (so nothing can really break off), but because of the handle placement, you always have to use 2 hands to take off the lid.

Other than that, my food comes out great in it, but I'm not sure if the basting spikes have anything to do with it, since I have nothing to compare it with.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have the le creuset "doufeu" dutch oven?  it is oval shaped, but it has a recessed lid that is supposed to hold ice cubes and then create condensation under the lid during cooking.  i have a friend who swears by it, but I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experience with this version and how it compares to the standard dutch ovens.  link to it on the le creuset site below. 

le creuset doufeu oven

lisa

I have the doufeu. I bought it mainly because I liked that it's all one piece (so nothing can really break off), but because of the handle placement, you always have to use 2 hands to take off the lid.

Other than that, my food comes out great in it, but I'm not sure if the basting spikes have anything to do with it, since I have nothing to compare it with.

I have the doufeu, too, and have had it for many years. I also don't know if the basting spikes (or the recessed lid water/ice cube routine) have anything to do with how the stuff I cook in it comes out - I bought the piece because, I'll admit, it was awfully exotic and intriguing at the time, and since I wanted an oval cast iron dutch oven anyway, it was a two-fer :wink: Besides, it was red ...

The only thing I can compare it with is my 5 quart round le creuset, which doesn't have the same accomodate-a-hunk-o-meat-or-fowl shape as the oval does.

Stuff comes out embarassingly great from both pieces. I just can't figure out how someone can haul one of the *really* big, filled dutch ovens in and out of the oven without doing serious damage to some human moving part :smile: A big brisket in the large le creuset buffet pan/braiser nearly kept me from ever straightening up again... but gosh it was good.

The first time I got married, I was given a set of flame Le Creuset cookware. I thought they were the ugliest things I'd ever seen and packed them away in a box somewhere. Years later I discovered what they were and have been using them ever since. The little saute pan cracked when it was left on the heat once (oops) before I learned how to take care of them.

I use the medium dutch oven (french oven?) all the time, and I also have a huge one that I can barely lift when it's empty, and a smaller saucepan with wooden handle.

I'm lusting after a dark blue oval one. I don't care what size, I must have it. I'm keeping my eyes open for sales. No matter that I have more cookware than I know what to do with...it's an aesthetic thing.

Is it OK to scrub enameled cast iron out with salt? I did once, due to stuff getting extra-stuck on the bottom of the pot. I'm still getting used to the gas hobs. :)

Is it OK to scrub enameled cast iron out with salt?  I did once, due to stuff getting extra-stuck on the bottom of the pot.  I'm still getting used to the gas hobs. :)

I don’t think using salt is a bad idea. I’ve used it before; it worked alright and didn’t scratch the enamel. But I prefer to use barkeeper’s friend or the cleanser sold by LC (it’s ok and a bit milder than barkeeper’s friend, but it’s also at least 5 times more expensive). The website says you should soak especially stubborn stains in a solution of 1tsp of bleach per pint of water, but I generally avoid mixing bleach and cast iron because nothing makes cast iron oxidize faster than contact with bleach. And most of your enameled cast iron will have some exposed iron around the rim, which will rust very quickly if it comes in accidental contact with the bleach and water.

Also, I recently noticed that the Le Creuset(USA) website says that ALMOST ALL LC IS DISHWASHER SAFE, which I think is BS. Just click on their recommendations for buyers in other countries… apparently LC becomes less dishwasher safe as you travel the Atlantic toward the UK and then becomes completely unsuitable to machine washing when you cross the equator into Australia. Since I believe it is all the same LC, I believe the changing attitudes toward dishwashing come from the marketing department.

Also, I recently noticed that the Le Creuset(USA) website says that ALMOST ALL LC IS DISHWASHER SAFE, which I think is BS. Just click on their recommendations for buyers in other countries… apparently LC becomes less dishwasher safe as you travel the Atlantic toward the UK and then becomes completely unsuitable to machine washing when you cross the equator into Australia. Since I believe it is all the same LC, I believe the changing attitudes toward dishwashing come from the marketing department.

Ha ha! No wonder I have to wash mine in my tiny, tiny sink.

Hot water from the electric kettle works well for soaking most stuff off.

Among other reasons, I wouldn't put it in the dishwasher because it would bend the heck out of the wire racks.

does anyone here have experience cooking with "innova" brand of enameed cast iron? amazon lists a 7 qrt oval at $50.00 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&v=glance

There is no photo there, but the smaller model is shown, and looks like a made in China knock-off of L.C.

I bought a 5qt. oval like this, also made in China, called La Campagne, at Hudson's Bay Outfitter store. It was about $40, and works well. The enamel finish is not quite as good as L.C., but is very good at that price, and great for pot lucks away from home.