• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

Thanks--it looks lie I'll be trying to get my hands on all the enameled cast iron that I can.

Keep in mind that enameled cast iron for the stovetop is really only useful for low/slow cooking. It's not very good for browning, and it's actively bad for any applications that require temperature control. I would never want an enameled cast iron skillet, nor would I want an enameled cast iron saucepan for actually making sauces (although I do have a tall, conical Le Creuset saucepan that I use for holding sauces at temperature and other low/slow kinds of tasks).

How do you feel about regular cast iron for browning?

Is the non-reactive surface the only cooking benefit of enameling cast iron?

• 1 month later...

Today I finally bought a piece of Le Creuset, 9 1/2 qt oval at the local outlet store for $163.00 total. I got 20% off cause I said I would take the orange. A braising I will go. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Keep in mind that enameled cast iron for the stovetop is . . . not very good for browning, and it's actively bad for any applications that require temperature control.

How do you feel about regular cast iron for browning?

Is the non-reactive surface the only cooking benefit of enameling cast iron?

Sorry I didn't see this before. Might as well respond now...

You nailed it: Yes, regular cast iron is excellent for browning. And yes, the only cooking benefit of enameled cast iron over regular cast iron is that the enameled cast iron is nonreactive.

--

Today I finally bought a piece of Le Creuset, 9 1/2 qt oval at the local outlet store for $163.00 total. I got 20% off cause I said I would take the orange. A braising I will go. :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

WOW! That looks like a great price for that big momma. Did it come with its own crane? :laugh: I actually have a 9 quart round one that was purchased for double batches of gumbo but I have actually used it more often for larger pieces of pig.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Today I finally bought a piece of Le Creuset, 9 1/2 qt oval at the local outlet store for $163.00 total. I got 20% off cause I said I would take the orange. A braising I will go. :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

WOW! That looks like a great price for that big momma. Did it come with its own crane? :laugh: I actually have a 9 quart round one that was purchased for double batches of gumbo but I have actually used it more often for larger pieces of pig.

I'm thinking of Lamb shanks, turkey legs, pot roasts, duck and chicken legs. I bought the oval because it looks to fit 4 of each better. And yes it is heavy, as my SO said that's a hunka hunk of pot. It will be moved very carefully when full. :biggrin: You also get a coupon book good for discounts every month this year 25-35 % off selected items. :biggrin:

It's very heavy when full. Lamb shanks are in the oven. Fuckin $6.99 a lb. for lamb shanks. Turkey legs next at $.89 seems like a better deal. :shock::shock::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

So, a friend just got a 15 (or more) quart LC. For why such a huge pan, I have no idea. She thought the trunk of her car visibly sunk when she got the beast in there. No idea how she's going to get it in the oven by herself when it is full.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

eGads. I just checked out the Le Creuset site. A friend of mine has this huge round one and it says it is 13 1/4 quart. He bought it because he and cooking buddies will sometimes volunteer to cook a Sunday dinner for the local Ronald McDonald house. He uses it to make big batches of jambalaya and such. It takes two guys to handle it full.

Then I saw that they have this oval "Goose Pot" that comes in at 15 1/2 quarts. YOIKS!!!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

i'm akin to the poster upthread who never really considered (or knew) the virtues of le creuset until this thread, but who is now considering acquiring a couple of pieces.

i'm interested in acquiring pieces that are versatile, and i'm unsure of how the different volumes play out in the kitchen (3.5 vs. 4.5 vs. 5.5 qt and so on). can anyone give examples of use? for example, stew for 6 people -- would a 3.5 quart do? would you prefer the 5.5?

i'm primarily looking to do stews and soups and vegetable roasting with these.

many thanks and cheers in advance. :)

hc

i'm akin to the poster upthread who never really considered (or knew) the virtues of le creuset until this thread, but who is now considering acquiring a couple of pieces.

i'm interested in acquiring pieces that are versatile, and i'm unsure of how the different volumes play out in the kitchen (3.5 vs. 4.5 vs. 5.5 qt and so on).  can anyone give examples of use?  for example, stew for 6 people -- would a 3.5 quart do?  would you prefer the 5.5?

i'm primarily looking to do stews and soups and vegetable roasting with these.

many thanks and cheers in advance. :)

hc

*reels in another one* :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think that the most popular oval is what I have. It seems that everyone I know with more than one or two to feed has the 6 3/4 quart. I would hazard a guess that that size is about the most versatile. That one seems to fit a chicken or your typical roast really well. The oval shape helps with that too. Another friend has the 5 quart oval and wishes he had the one size bigger as it is a little cramped for the chicken, pork or beef roast that he wants to do to provide leftovers.

As I keep proclaiming, I am also in love with my little 2 1/2 quart oval for when I am just cooking for myself. It will do a half pound of beans nicely but will also hold a pound. It is great for four chicken thighs and a small roast as well.

I have to say that those are the two that I use the most often.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

eGads. I just checked out the Le Creuset site. A friend of mine has this huge round one and it says it is 13 1/4 quart. He bought it because he and cooking buddies will sometimes volunteer to cook a Sunday dinner for the local Ronald McDonald house. He uses it to make big batches of jambalaya and such. It takes two guys to handle it full.

Then I saw that they have this oval "Goose Pot" that comes in at 15 1/2 quarts. YOIKS!!!

I can speak from experience that this pot holds a 12 pound goose and a bunch of vegetables.

It is difficult to lift when full, two people are best.

The odd volumes are because they are manufactured to metric measurements.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's a little big for 2 lamb shanks but will be perfect for 4. See what you started Fifi, now I need the next smaller size. And I thought that Falk was addictive. :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Wait until you try one of the cast iron gratins, my children. :wink:

Andie . . . Why am I not surprised that you have actually used the goose cooker? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Wait until you try one of the cast iron gratins, my children.  :wink:

The oval ones?

I was really close to buying an oval gratin at an outlet store. It had some problems in the enameling department so I didn't get it. But I also thought that I would prefer a square or round shape... am I wrong to think the oval isn't as versatile?

I agree with Linda. The 6+ qt size, round or oval is a good one for a family of four to six for stews and medium size cuts of meat. The oval has the advantage of hugging the shape of many birds and cuts of meat. I have several round ones plus the 9 1/2 qt oval, and if I had to do it again I would get one more of them in oval rather than round.

For a family of five, that 6 3/4 quart will fill the bill for just about everything. It makes a big enough batch of stew, soup, gumbo, jambalaya or whatever. And the right size roasts fit just fine. I think that is why it is so popular. I think that for what this size range does, I prefer the oval because of the better fit for single hunk of meat type food products.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The oval ones?

I was really close to buying an oval gratin at an outlet store. It had some problems in the enameling department so I didn't get it. But I also thought that I would prefer a square or round shape... am I wrong to think the oval isn't as versatile?

I think that the oval ones are the only type they make in the enameled cast iron. Le Creuset also makes a pottery type of cookware. For a gratin, this is not what you want. I got into the cast iron after reading Jeffrey Steingarten's essay on Potatoes Dauphinoise. He is absolutely right. Enameled cast iron for gratins that you want to get some caramelization absolutely rocks. I have the largest one and four of the individual sized. I can't find the individual sized ones any more. I have four and wish I had six. I use them in the De Longhi convection oven for an individual serving for just me. I love those things.

If you find a second in an outlet store for a good price, grab it. A couple of mine have a pinhole or two in the porcelain enamel. This is a common problem because cast iron is the devil to get a baked on coating defect free because the metal itself is kinda porous. Outgassing during the bake process is a big problem. I know I have a very few of those defects in some of my LC and it has never made a bit of difference in performance. Go for price, not perfection.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

i'm interested in acquiring pieces that are versatile, and i'm unsure of how the different volumes play out in the kitchen (3.5 vs. 4.5 vs. 5.5 qt and so on).  can anyone give examples of use?  for example, stew for 6 people -- would a 3.5 quart do?  would you prefer the 5.5?

My first purchase was the 7 1/4 Qt French Oven which I think is truly awesome. It browns really well but is also very easy to clean. For some reason I had always assumed that good browning and easy cleaning were mutually exclusive features. It looked a little too big when I got it but that did not stop me from using it and it actually is not a bad size for a small family. If you are making a stew or a soup and fill it about halfway you have enough for a couple of meals. I got it for around $110 from Amazon and they gave me a 1 1/4 qt sauce pan for free with it. I use that quite a bit for sauces.

Since I had the two extremes for a small family covered ( 7 1/4 qt and 1 1/4 qt) I bought a 3 3/4 qt Multi-pan which is saucepan base with a nonstick omlet pan cover. I got it today and I think it will be a good size for weekday meals. It was $99 at Amazon and if you combine it with another purchase and use their $25 off $125 code you can have yourself a pretty good deal.

Amazon is a good place to buy Le Creuset but you may need to wait till the price is right.

rkolluri

I got into the cast iron after reading Jeffrey Steingarten's essay on Potatoes Dauphinoise.

Yes! That's exactly why I wanted to get an LC gratin in the first place!

I was thinking that maybe a small lc cast iron baking pan might yield more gratin than the oval. I just always seem to have too many potatoes left over when I make that recipe. I also thought that I wouldn't mind having a round pan about the same size as the oval gratin. I want it round for use with pies.

Of course I could make an oval pie... and I really do think I will be buying one of these oval gratins if I find it at a good price.

I bought a 7 qt. round oven at eBay for $105 plus $20 shipping. It's my first piece and I love it! Reading this thread is a bad bad bad bad influence on me because I'm already itching for more. To further tempt me, the eBay seller just sent me an email offering some sale prices for returning customers. There's an 8.75 quart for $125 and a 6.5 for $107. Perhaps I need to look for an oval oven (but I have two oval Magnalite roasters, so I really shouldn't).

<mantra>

Fight the temptation!

Fight the temptation!

Fight the temptation!

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

. . . .

I was thinking that maybe a small lc cast iron baking pan might yield more gratin than the oval. I just always seem to have too many potatoes left over when I make that recipe. I also thought that I wouldn't mind having a round pan about the same size as the oval gratin. I want it round for use with pies.

Of course I could make an oval pie... and I really do think I will be buying one of these oval gratins if I find it at a good price.

Ah ha! A check of the LC website does reveal that they do have the rectangular roasting pans in the cast iron. I always thought that enameled cast iron was a stupid idea for a roasting pan but I can appreciate the wisdom of it being a larger gratin, or maybe even lasagna.

The tatin dish looks pretty small. I don't know what the deal is but I am not finding my gratins on the LC web site. They are so lovely. I certainly hope they have not been discontinued.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The large and small roasting pans/baking pans in enameled cast iron are also fine for roasting such as root vegetables. The square shape will hold more than an oval one of the same length, of course. But the oval shape is traditional for a gratin and attractive.

I bought a 7 qt. round oven at eBay for $105 plus $20 shipping. It's my first piece and I love it! Reading this thread is a bad bad bad bad influence on me because I'm already itching for more. To further tempt me, the eBay seller just sent me an email offering some sale prices for returning customers. There's an 8.75 quart for $125 and a 6.5 for $107.  Perhaps I need to look for an oval oven (but I have two oval Magnalite roasters, so I really shouldn't).

<mantra>

Fight the temptation!

Fight the temptation!

Fight the temptation!

Last year we bought a 8 3/4 qt red round d.o. on eBay for $142 including shipping. It's great when I want to do a double size batch of jambalaya or a large batch of soup.

Then a few months ago I aquired a 5 3/4 qt. red round d.o. from Marshalls for $99.99. Works great for the smaller sizes of the above foods as well as for braising a medium size pot roast.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

David

I'm not sure if this has been previously discussed but has anyone purchased any Lodge Enamel cookware?

There aren't any customers reviews on this piece. I was curious as to how it compares to Le Creuset.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Keep in mind that, although this thread is ostensibly about Le Creuset, they are by no means the only game in town. There are plenty of manufacturers who make enameled cast iron. Le Creuset makes a quality product they stand behind, but in my opinion Staub is even better.

I'm not sure if this has been previously discussed but has anyone purchased any Lodge Enamel cookware?

There aren't any customers reviews on this piece.  I was curious as to how it compares to Le Creuset.

Here is the Lodge web site. They are a well-respected manufacturer of cast iron cookware, and one would expect the quality to be high.

--