• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

I have a Calphalon dutch oven. Would have thought that Calphalon would be a cut above. Complete piece of trash. Chipped right out of the box, chipped further after I looked at it. Chipped, cracked, crazed, and stained after first use. All my acquaintances (I have no friends) have Le Creuset and ridicule my pot. De-sinofication of my kitchen continues. I am too poor to buy cheap stuff. The equivalent Le Creuset may be close to $200, but it is a one time fee that I will happily pay.

-e

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

I have a question on Le Creuset - I have a glass top electric stove (ugh)- does anyone have any experience with problems with the colored coating harming the glass top?

Thanks all!

Its the older ones with the UN-coloured contact patch that you need to be careful with on glass tops.

The coloured enamel probably got put there BECAUSE of glass-topped cookers ....

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I have a question on Le Creuset - I have a glass top electric stove (ugh)- does anyone have any experience with problems with the colored coating harming the glass top?

Thanks all!

Its the older ones with the UN-coloured contact patch that you need to be careful with on glass tops.

The coloured enamel probably got put there BECAUSE of glass-topped cookers ....

I have both types. Neither is a problem. Even the uncolored versions are enameled on the bottom.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have both types. Neither is a problem. Even the uncolored versions are enameled on the bottom.

I too have both enamelled and (rather older) plain. (And there are different 'plain' finishes - I even have one with some rust colouration on the base.)

The 'natural' finishes are unquestionably rougher and more abrasive.

I believe that a number of small scratches on a (then new) induction hob (US English: cooktop) were due to Someone I Used to Know sliding the "too heavy" (and plain-based) old Le Creuset pans across the surface.

Nowadays, most (probably all) Le Creuset's current cast iron products have smooth enamelled bases.

However, the official advice from Le Creuset themselves remains that NEITHER should be DRAGGED across 'glass' surfaces.

On glass-topped hobs, although the cocotte does have a smooth, vitreous enamelled base, it is still recommended that you lift the base on and off over the hob and never drag it across the surface.
http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/nl-be/News/Cooking-Lessons/Lesson-1/ (Last paragraph, Step 2.)

See also lessons 2 through 6 - the same message is repeated for ALL the listed types of their cast iron cookware.

With the smooth enamelled base, I think problems are only really likely if the glass surface is dirty. With the rougher-to-the-touch uncoloured bases, my experience is that dragging such pans CAN INDEED cause some cosmetic damage (though one might not immediately notice it on an already well used surface).

My suspicion is that the rougher sand-cast finish might have been marginally more efficient at transferring heat from a naked gas flame to the pot - hence the previous deliberate decision not to give the base a smooth finish.

However, with an increasing proportion of sales being for use on glass hobs, a design decision was made to change to more glass-friendly smooth enamelled bases.

But that's purely my own rationalisation of the reasons behind their evident change of policy.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 5 weeks later...

One more question - is there a difference between the French oven and the "wide" French oven?

Thanks!!

Yes, the wide French oven is much shorter - that is, only 2/3 as deep as the regular one.

There are two sizes 3 1/2 qt and 6 3/4 qt.

The size and shape of this pan is similar to the classic "rondeau" pan, long available in copper, SS, aluminum and cast iron. Shallower than a "Dutch" or "French" oven,

A caveat. Unless you have large burners on your stove, you will not get edge-to-edge even heat in this pan. There will be a hot spot in the center and it will be cooler toward the edges.

I got one a year or so ago and can only use it effectively on my large burners. However it works quite well on an induction burner with even heat across the bottom. (Checked with an infrared Thermapen.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One more question - is there a difference between the French oven and the "wide" French oven?

Thanks!!

Yes, the wide French oven is much shorter - that is, only 2/3 as deep as the regular one.

There are two sizes 3 1/2 qt and 6 3/4 qt.

The size and shape of this pan is similar to the classic "rondeau" pan, long available in copper, SS, aluminum and cast iron. Shallower than a "Dutch" or "French" oven,

A caveat. Unless you have large burners on your stove, you will not get edge-to-edge even heat in this pan. There will be a hot spot in the center and it will be cooler toward the edges.

I got one a year or so ago and can only use it effectively on my large burners. However it works quite well on an induction burner with even heat across the bottom. (Checked with an infrared Thermapen.)

Thank you!!!

Do you slowly preheat the pot? Le Creuset, and numerous chefs and cooks that have commented on this, all suggest a slow pre-heating to get even temps across the pot. It sometimes takes five or more minutes to get the temperature even depending on pot and burner size. Another suggestion is to pre-heat the pot in the oven.

... Shel

• 1 year later...

I have one piece of enameled cast iron but it's not Le Creuset. It's actually a Martha Stewart brand piece from KMart.

It would be interesting to see how well it holds up. Over the past few years there have been many reports of poor quality for enameled cast iron made in China. With that information in mind, and the good results I had with earlier LC, my latest "Dutch oven" purchase was LC. Staub also has a good reputation.

... Shel

I have one piece of enameled cast iron but it's not Le Creuset. It's actually a Martha Stewart brand piece from KMart.

It would be interesting to see how well it holds up. Over the past few years there have been many reports of poor quality for enameled cast iron made in China. With that information in mind, and the good results I had with earlier LC, my latest "Dutch oven" purchase was LC. Staub also has a good reputation.

I have a Martha Stewart Kmart 5qt enameled cast iron dutch oven. I would guess it is 8-10 years old. I think it has held up fine. It is a bit discolored on the interior, but my Le Creuset (5-6 years old) is as well. I bought the LC as a second,the color on the lid is a bit blotchy, but other than that it is great. I also have a piece of Lodge enameled I purchased as a second at a Lodge outlet store. There was no obvious damage when purchased, but about 1" square of the exterior enamel has since flaked off. Since it doesn't effect the cooking surface I don't care that much about it.

Johanna

Johanna

• 3 years later...

I enjoyed that a lot.  It also made me want to kick myself in the ass yet again for getting rid of all the Descoware I once had.

What a fool I was and what was I thinking?  

I totally get the aesthetics, tradition and romance of enameled cast iron, but with all apologies to my classmate David Liebovitz, it's mediocre cookware. 

You may now shoot the messenger.

Mediocre for what? What would you propose replacing it? Enameled cast iron frying pans and tea kettles never made much sense to me but the traditional enameled cast iron dutch oven for braising is the default choice for a reason.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

I totally get the aesthetics, tradition and romance of enameled cast iron, but with all apologies to my classmate David Liebovitz, it's mediocre cookware. 

You may now shoot the messenger.

No one's going to shoot you ...

You've made a proclamation that Le Creuset is mediocre cookware, but you offer no explanation.  How about letting us know why you feel the way you do?  Perhaps some specifics?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

------------------------------

I agree. I know someone who has arthritis, still struggles to lift a two-ton cast iron Dutch oven.

Cast iron Dutch oven can't cook better than aluminum Dutch oven. 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I agree. I know someone who has arthritis, still struggles to lift a two-ton cast iron Dutch oven.

Cast iron Dutch oven can't cook better than aluminum Dutch oven. 

dcarch

I have this All-Clad 8-quart pot and I'm happy to have it, primarily because it's a lot lighter than the comparably-sized Le Creuset.  It works well as a Dutch oven ... probably about the same as the Le Creuset except that I need a slightly higher oven temp with it than my Le Creuset pot to get the same results.  However, my Le Creuset is black, and it even needs less oven temp than my white Le Creuset.

I don't think the greater weight of the Le Creuset lessens the quality of the cookware, but I guess that's a personal conclusion.  If the weight of cast iron is a determining factor, then one might conclude that all cast iron cookware would be mediocre.

... Shel

I have this All-Clad 8-quart pot and I'm happy to have it, primarily because it's a lot lighter than the comparably-sized Le Creuset.  It works well as a Dutch oven ... probably about the same as the Le Creuset except that I need a slightly higher oven temp with it than my Le Creuset pot to get the same results.  However, my Le Creuset is black, and it even needs less oven temp than my white Le Creuset.

That's a nice pot. It's basic physics that you need a slightly higher temperature than the black Le Creuset. A highly reflective metallic surface reflects most of the IR, and a black surface absorbs most of the IR energy.

I don't think the greater weight of the Le Creuset lessens the quality of the cookware, but I guess that's a personal conclusion.  If the weight of cast iron is a determining factor, then one might conclude that all cast iron cookware would be mediocre.

Let's make sure if we are talking about the same thing. To me, the definition of "mediocre" is " from Latin mediocris : medius, middle" " Not better, not worst". Therefore, all cast iron cookware are mediocre, relative to all other materials.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

That's a nice pot. It's basic physics that you need a slightly higher temperature than the black Le Creuset. A highly reflective metallic surface reflects most of the IR, and a black surface absorbs most of the IR energy.

Yes, I know that ...

... Shel

How about letting us know why you feel the way you do?  Perhaps some specifics?

There are a myriad of reasons.  King among them is its atrocious conductivity.  You can get by if you mostly use it in ovens, and sort of abide if it perfectly fits a very even hob.  But generally it is terribly uneven (the larger pieces can have 100-200F temperature differentials), and hot-spots.  Yet slow to respond.  Yet the lining lets fat runs through the jus.  Yet it chips and scuffs and cracks unless you baby it.  Yet is exorbitantly priced for the "good" marks.  Yet the stubby casty handles suck.  Yet it's over-heavy given its other demerits (at least copper performs).  Yet its value plummets the minute you buy it.  I could go on...

Long ago, before I knew better, I bought and labored with a LOT of Le Creuset, probably 25 pieces.  Spent a small fortune on it, thinking it must be really good.   I believe it held me back in my development as a cook.  I spent second fortune replacing it with a batterie that performs better.  But I did progress--I just wish I had all that money and those misspent years back.

• Like 1

There are a myriad of reasons.  King among them is its atrocious conductivity.  You can get by if you mostly use it in ovens, and sort of abide if it perfectly fits a very even hob.  But generally it is terribly uneven (the larger pieces can have 100-200F temperature differentials), and hot-spots.  Yet slow to respond.  Yet the lining lets fat runs through the jus.  Yet it chips and scuffs and cracks unless you baby it.  Yet is exorbitantly priced for the "good" marks.  Yet the stubby casty handles suck.  Yet it's over-heavy given its other demerits (at least copper performs).  Yet its value plummets the minute you buy it.  I could go on...

Long ago, before I knew better, I bought and labored with a LOT of Le Creuset, probably 25 pieces.  Spent a small fortune on it, thinking it must be really good.   I believe it held me back in my development as a cook.  I spent second fortune replacing it with a batterie that performs better.  But I did progress--I just wish I had all that money and those misspent years back.

Well, in the FWIW Dept, everyone I know that uses enameled cast iron (and I mean that literally) uses it in the oven, where it works very well, although they also sometimes use the pots on the stovetop.  I've had excellent results with it on my cooktops as well (talking about the Dutch ovens here).  Between my two Le Creuset ovens, which I've owned for a collective period of almost fifty years, neither has chipped, cracked, or scuffed, and one was used as a storage container in my garage for eight or ten years.  That pot certainly was not babied. Contemporary Le Creuset ovens have larger, more ergonomic handles that provide a sure grip, even with oven mitts.

Here's my Le Creuset pot that I purchased around 1975-1978.  It looks to be in pretty good shape after all that time and having been used as a storage container in my garage:

Le Creuset 1975.jpg

It really comes down to how one uses the pot.  There is probably no single type of cookware that excels at every task, or should be used for every task.

... Shel

There is no one-size-fits-all cookware. From my perspective Le Creuset is not a good fit for your style of cooking. I don't think that makes it mediocre, it simply makes it not the best choice for how you cook.

I no longer have Le Creuset because I am an idiot and did not take reasonable care of it. I used to be exrtremely hard on my cookware. I regret that. In my younger years I had no idea that Le Creuset was anything more than another brand. I get it now.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;