• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

That is a pretty color.

I was at my local Costco a few days ago, and they had 8 quart oval Le Creuset ovens. I think the price was $160. They only had the cobalt blue and red available. If you're looking for one you might check your local Costco. This is the first time I have seen them there.

Oh, I have a lot of the stuff already. Descoware, Staub as well as Le Creuset.

I just like the color.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oh, I know... I think you mentioned that you have all you'll ever need. I was just letting anyone know who is interested. I just got my first one a couple of months ago. I say... if you love that color there must be something you need! :wink:

Oh, I have a lot of the stuff already.  Descoware, Staub as well as Le Creuset.

I just like the color.

You're the first I've seen to mention Descoware. I inherited a couple of beautiful pieces from my grandmother (favorite is an oval dutch oven, maybe 5 qt, that's great for braising.

What do you think of these?

Notes from the underbelly

I love the Descoware - I especially love the handles which have no problems going into an oven at any temp. Most of mine is the flame red - all purchased in the late 60s. But I have a few pieces of the "decorated" line with the tiny flower and abstract designs.

Some people have complained about the wooden handles on the large skillets not going into an oven - but I have pointed out, more than a few times, that they were made to be removed so the skillet could go into the oven or under a broiler. (back then I had a salamander and could stick the skillet under the burner without removing the handle and I didn't need a hot pad to hold onto it.)

All in all, I think in some ways the Descoware is more versatile than LC.

gallery_17399_60_1099693941.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

lol, i'm kind of off topic (just joined), but I was actually faced with the decision of whether to buy a lodge dutch oven or wait to buy a le creuset. I mean, Le creuset appears to be superior in every way, but at 150 dollars extra! I'm thinking, you also can't abuse Le creuset as much because of the enamel coating, and plus because it so expensive. Plus, I keep hearing that if the seasoning is hardcore enough, bare cast iron can take any type of cooking regardless. So I went ahead and bought the Lodge dutch oven, but after reading this thread, I'm beginning to become unsure again. So Le Creuset makes a better fond, roux, acidic braise, tomato sauce, plus it's pretty and cleans well. But 200+ dollars? What's a impoverished college student to do

Edited by takadi (log)

What's a impoverished college student to do

Look for sales on-line. Check e-bay. Others have found pieces at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. They are expensive, and worth it in my opinion, but if you're flexible on color you don't have to pay full price.

You can also buy the less expensive alternatives.

I bought one of the Innova ovens to use in my barbecue and it has held up like a champ.

The no-name ovens made in China and sold at Marshall's etc., are okay too.

Do check on ebay because there are often some excellent buys.

In addition to regular ebay, also check ebay express.

like this one: 7quart Innova enameled cast iron.

Or a 5-quart

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I might be a unique case, but I usually hold the belief that rustic, simple, old-school equipment usually works best and that any modern advancements made are not necessary. It's not that I wouldn't buy a Le Creuset, but I would only buy it if I truly need it. Call me a minimalist or a pragmatist. I would rather buy cheap good quality equipment that can get around some of its obstacles using common sense, skill and technique, rather than expensive equipment that does everything for me. And as the good Alton Brown would say: "I just love a multi-tasker"

I actually cooked something for the first time in my Lodge dutch oven. I made some baked beans, and I didn't notice any weird iron flavor. Maybe because it wasn't very acidic but still.

People say long braising times especially with acidic liquid in bare cast iron is bad, but is it really that bad? I have a feeling all the precaution is exaggerated, but if anyone has experience on this, feel free to tell me.

I noticed that some people mention a special type of enamel coating called matte enamel, which is very very strong and acts almost like cast iron itself in that you can actually season it. It sounds good, but I'm wondering if anyone has any details such as its performance compared to the regular enamel and bare cast iron.

So I believe in buying minimal equipment at a minimal price to do maximum jobs. Would I really be required to buy a Le creuset to cook something like Coq au Vin? Let me reword the question. A hundred years ago, did they cook Coq au Vin in regular cast iron? Or did they use something else besides cast iron?

Edited by takadi (log)

What's a impoverished college student to do

Look for sales on-line. Check e-bay. Others have found pieces at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. They are expensive, and worth it in my opinion, but if you're flexible on color you don't have to pay full price.

If you live near a LC outlet store they have great deals. Here's a link which will show the monthly specials they are having. It also has a store locator. I got a 7.25 round first quality for $140.

http://www.lcstores.com/

Sometimes cooking acidic dishes in cast iron will cause an odd taste, particularly with tomatoes.

However, it isn't the taste I worry about, it is the fact that the acidic stuff will ruin the seasoning that I have spent years developing.

There is a fine balance and it is knowing when to add the stuff, i.e. after the other ingredients have blended, that is important.

I make chili in a huge cast iron pot, but it has many, many years of seasoning which is almost like an enamel coating. I don't add the tomato stuff until everything else has been browned and cooked well and at that, I keep the percentage below the point where it would be too much acid.

That's just me. Other people may do things entirely different. Again, this is a personal preference thing.

I have three cast iron skillets (early Griswold) that are dedicated cornbread pans. One each, 8", 10" and 12." I have others that are general purpose and two chicken fryers, one with a domed lid, and the other is a "double-skillet" one deep, one shallow and they hook together.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for those of you who have multiple LC pieces.

I have the 7.25 round dutch oven, and I'm wondering what would be the next size to get? I can already see the 7.25 is great for large batches, but what if you want to make something smaller?

Thanks for your help. :smile:

I might be a unique case, but I usually hold the belief that rustic, simple, old-school equipment usually works best and that any modern advancements made are not necessary.

Enameled cast iron is pretty rustic, simple, and old school!

It's probably been around longer than, say, gas or electric powered ovens, and some other modern advancements you probably enjoy in your kitchen ...

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me in identifying the original name/use for this piece of Le Creuset cast ironware. The top plate is the size of a dinner plate. Was it for cooking food at the table or was it just for keeping food warm while allowing juices/fats to run to the edge?

It isn't in the current catalogue and I can't see anything like it on the internet.

I bought it at a French flea market.

gallery_52585_4751_14271.jpg

gallery_52585_4751_4495.jpg

• 3 months later...

This may have been mentioned, but Williams-Sonoma has a 2 3/4 qt oval dutch oven for only $79.95. I'm kicking myself for not getting one when I was in the US last month, but I thought I'd get it cheaper at the outlet--not so...it was more than $100 at the outlet, and those were the seconds!

For some reason, I thought the ones I saw in the store were 3 1/2 qt, but the website says 2 3/4 qt. The perfect size for half a no-knead bread loaf!

• 3 weeks later...

This same pot can be bought on Amazon.com for the same price but it qualifies for free shipping and has no tax. These are substantial savings over williams sonoma. Here's the link below:

Flame:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&v=glance

Blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Oval-French-...7353767-8689254

Oddly the flame link doesn't show the other colors available... but the blue one above does. Available in Cobalt Blue, Kiwi, Dune, Cherry, Chestnut and Satin Black.

This may have been mentioned, but Williams-Sonoma has a 2 3/4 qt oval dutch oven for only $79.95.  I'm kicking myself for not getting one when I was in the US last month, but I thought I'd get it cheaper at the outlet--not so...it was more than $100 at the outlet, and those were the seconds!

For some reason, I thought the ones I saw in the store were 3 1/2 qt, but the website says 2 3/4 qt.  The perfect size for half a no-knead bread loaf!

Milkman, it looks like a Korean grill:

Korean grill also called a reverse wok

Check here: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/equivalents_s...ndex=K&tid=2602

You'll have to scan down a little.

This cast-iron pan is typically used for Korean barbeque and is also referred to as a "reverse wok". Strips of meat or poultry are cooked on the grill and added to Thai-style salads, Vietnamese noodle dishes and Korean barbecue. The traditional dome-shaped interior provides a large surface for cooking long strips of meat and allows juices to drip down for easy pour-off from a spout. The grill's ridges produce attractive grill marks on food.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bummed. I made spaghetti sauce in my LC oven tonight, and I scraped the bottom with a stainless steel spoon. I was tired and not thinking about the fact that stainless steel is not recommended. Now there are some marks on the enamel. I know it won't change how it cooks, but I'd still like to get rid of the marks. I thought maybe the magic eraser would work.

Any suggestions? :blink:

This same pot can be bought on Amazon.com for the same price but it qualifies for free shipping and has no tax.  These are substantial savings over williams sonoma.  Here's the link below:

Flame:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&v=glance

Blue:

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Oval-French-...7353767-8689254

Oddly  the flame link doesn't show the other colors available... but the blue one above does.  Available in Cobalt Blue, Kiwi, Dune, Cherry, Chestnut and Satin Black.

Just noticed that it's also on the cutleryandmore.com website http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12994 and they have it in the new Caribbean color.

I'm trying to picture just how useful the 2 3/4 quart size would be. What do you think it might be good for?

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

I'm trying to picture just how useful the 2 3/4 quart size would be.  What do you think it might be good for?

pat w.

My plan is to use it for half a loaf of no-knead bread. I only ever need half a loaf of bread, and the 5qt one is too big.

It's also good for smaller stew recipes. I'm single, so I usually halve recipes since even half gives me much more than I want to eat (even with leftovers). That size is pretty good for a 1 1/2 lb pot roast.

I use the 2 3/4 size all the time. For baked beans, smaller stews and soups Smaller braised pork shoulders and pot roasts. It's a great size if you're cooking for 1-3 people.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My plan is to use it for half a loaf of no-knead bread.  I only ever need half a loaf of bread, and the 5qt one is too big.

It's also good for smaller stew recipes.  I'm single, so I usually halve recipes since even half gives me much more than I want to eat (even with leftovers).  That size is pretty good for a 1 1/2 lb pot roast.

Thank you Prasatrin & Marlene - I'm convinced.

By the way, I'd like to hear how the half a loaf of no-knead bread idea works out.

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

Does anyone know when the christmas/pre-christmas LC sales start? I called the local store to get on the mailing list about a month ago, but still haven't received anything.

Has anyone received their discount coupons yet? When do they generally come?

I'm planning on heading down to the nearest LC factory store and buying a dutch or french oven as soon as I get those coupons!

PS If anyone is going to get coupons that they won't be using, please send me a private message - I'd love to take them off you, just in case I don't get mine. I'll pay for postage, of course.