• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

I am a lover of Le Creuset as well and reading thorough this thread was a little dangerous for me. I think I should be going to a Le Creuset 12 step program instead of reading threads like this one. Imagine a discussion like this for alcoholics!! I have just purchased 2 new Le Creuset pots. One for me (a 5 1/2 qt oval oven) and one for a gift (3 1/2 qt round oven). The biggest tragedy in my life is my father had roommates through out all of my mother's Le Creuset (okay except the 7 1/2 qt round oven and the gratin dish I already gave a new home to :wink: ). She had a large saute pan, i am guessing 13 inches across and 2 1/2 high that I have not even found on E-bay.

I did not have a problem with my knobs when making the Bittman bread at 500 degrees. However the inside of the pot up to the height liquid is usually in it turned brown. It just smelled like burning. Also the bread was a little burned on the bottom. 450 works better for me.

-Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've always seasoned my regular cast iron pans before using them, but should I also season my new Le Creuset cast iron skillet and grill pan? What do you recommend? I've read from others about sticking, so I want to make sure I start right out the gate.

I didn't see anything about this on the Le Creuset site, but I suppose I can always give them a call.

I'm interested in others' experiences.

Thanks,

JenniferG

I didn't see anything about this on the Le Creuset site, but I suppose I can always give them a call.

Here you go:

http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/products/care...ls_%26_Griddles

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a co-worker who pronounces Le Creuset "lay-crew-set." Is there an accepted pronunciation in America? Should it approximate the francophone pronunciation (which I don't know how to "spell" using English phonetics)?

• 1 month later...

I believe it's pronounced "le-cru-say."

I just went to a Le Cruset factory outlet in my area, and the store was wonderful! I can see how a place like that can become addicting! They had a diverse collection in many different colors. Also, they had a 20% off the already reduced prices. I bought a red 7 1/4 round oven for $160, a large oval casserole dish and a silicone slotted spoon to use with the oven. The oven looked perfect (it's not a second), but when I got it home I noticed a blemish on the rim of the lid. It seems like it's hard to find the enameled cast iron without some imperfections. Has anyone else found similar problems? I think I'm just way to picky, and I let that sort of thing bother me (I guess because it's an expensive item).

I'm happy to finally have one. The first recipe I'm going to make is a beef stew recipe from Williams Sonoma. Do any of you have recipes to share that turned out well in the french oven? I'll share mine after I try it tomorrow evening. :smile:

I bought my partner a LC large dutch oven for her birthday last year - only becasue she wanted one (and I am the cook of the house). We have cookware from All-Clad to Grandmother's cast iron to my first set of cookware (the one that you had to start off on medium to low heat first) and I must admit that I am a fan of LC! Oh wow! What a difference it makes in stews and soups. It heats and warms like a dream. I can do everything from simmer to stew to even saute in it. I really like how it heats evenly and it doesn't scratch.

I scored this in red at Marshalls for approximately $120 or so...worth it.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

I use one of the dutch ovens for braising and really love it.It goes from the stove to the oven and no matter what I am making, the dish always comes out well. Since it has a 101 year warranty, my mom has promised eme that her Le Creuset is mine when she eventually stops cooking. :smile:

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

I'm happy to finally have one. The first recipe I'm going to make is a beef stew recipe from Williams Sonoma. Do any of you have recipes to share that turned out well in the french oven? I'll share mine after I try it tomorrow evening.  :smile:

Every braise and stew that I've tried has come out well in this pot, and I've had good success with gumbo as well, although I'm a bit timid with the roux yet. Yesterday I made boeuf bourguignon using Julia Child's French Chef recipe with a Paula Wolfert twist. It took a cut of meat that probably would have been a tough roast and turned it into a tender, flavorful meat, with a fabulous sauce that had us all swooning with pleasure. I'm very glad for the LC pieces I've picked up.

I've also used it for roasting chickens with good success.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For anyone looking for a good deal on a Le Creuset who doesn't mind a big one - I spotted 8Q pots at Costco in Kansas City on Sunday for about $160. I know Costco's selection varies by location, but if you're looking for an oval dutch oven, it's worth a try.

Ok, at the risk of sounding crabby, I have to say that I don't think Le Creuset is making them like they used to. I have a number of my mom's old Le Creusets (now 30+ years old) and the only chips they have are along the rim where the lid rubs up against them. I also have several newer Le Creusets, and have recently had chipping problems right in the heart of the pots, despite the fact that I use no metal utensils on them. I contacted Le Creuset when a chip (about 1/3 inch in diameter) came out of the bottom of one of my new (maybe 6 months old) large dutch ovens... Sent it back to them and they replaced it free of charge... However when the replacement arrived I noticed it had a small chip / blemish in the side wall of the pot (leading me to wonder if they replaced my pot with one of their "seconds." I really wonder if the enamel coating they are using now is thinner than it used to be...

The next pot I get may be a batali or a staub...

Emily

I have a tendency to agree with you. I looked at quite a few, and they all seemed flawed in some way. The one I originally purchased was form Williams Sonoma, because I wanted the Dijon color, and it had a flaw on the top of the lid. I called a bunch of stores and they all had the same flaw! I thought I may as well go to the factory store and get a less expensive one in another color. I looked at a few there that also had flaws (first quality), but I thought the one I got was OK. I forgot to check the rim... :blink:

Unfortunately, it's probably like most things these days; it seems that people don't do things as well as they once did. Also, they don't take as much pride in what they do. Supposedly, they are still done individually by artisans, but who knows for sure? Also, the lady at WS told me many of these marks are not considered flaws, because it's very difficult to paint cast iron. Maybe this is true? I just think at that price (and something that is supposed to last 100 years), it should be pretty close to perfect!

I made a delicious stew to break in my pot. I have to say, I absolutely love the pot! It braises beautifully, and it was a joy to cook with. I've never been a serious cook (although I'm becoming one), and even I can see what a wonderful addition it is to the kitchen. I used the WS stew recipe, and it was SO good. I didn't have the veal demi glace, so I substituted 2 Tbs of tomato paste. If your interested here's the link:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/reci...4424F667E01903B

• 3 weeks later...

I aquired a Le Creuset oval oven from my boyfriend's mother, who aquired it from her mother so it is quite old, but I looooove it!

My only concen is that the lower inside of my pot is not white and I am wondering if it is stained or if the enamel is wearing off. And if the enamel is wearing off if it is still okay to be cooking with.

IMGP4543-vi.jpg

Thanks!

I can't tell from your picture (or my monitor) if that's rust or staining. Try a little bleach and let us know how it works out...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

It's nice to have a Le Cruset with a family history. I am not sure, but it looks like staining rather than rust to me. If you wipe it with a damp towel, does the towel turn rusty? Does it taste or smell rusty? If not, try the bleach treatment and see if that doesn't take the stain out. You can also try something like Dawn Power Dissolver (if you can find it) or try gently wiping with Bar Keeper's Friend - a small area first. Nothing seriously abrasive.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I used the bleach method this morning and the pot looks a lot better! It's still a little discoloured but I am sure that's to be expected after 50 years or more!

Thanks

That's nice that your pot has been in the family for so many years. I'm sure a lot of love and wonderful meals have come out of it. I haven't had mine for long, but I've already used it quite a bit. I'm always looking for an opportunity to cook with it. I see it sitting on my stove top, and it just makes me happy! I can see how the longer you have it the more attached you get to it. It's like it becomes part of the family! :wink:

Maybe you could contact the Le Creuset company, and ask them for advice. I know they have a website.

Replacement Knob?

I've never had a problem with the phenolic knob on my Creuset pot, but it obviously bugs some people.

Has anyone just replaced it with something else? The lid has a simple hole in the top. Seems you could go to a hardware or cabinetry shop and have your pick of brass or aluminum or bronze knobs, with whatever finish you like. You could get a lion head, with a ring through his nose, if that's your style.

Notes from the underbelly

Is this stuff off the market? I had noticed that I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

I found some recently at a Walmart. But I had a devil of a time finding it and I bought the last six bottles on the shelf!

KBJ

Is this stuff off the market? I had noticed that I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

I found some recently at a Walmart. But I had a devil of a time finding it and I bought the last six bottles on the shelf!

KBJ

Perhaps this webpage may help in the search for Dawn Power Dissolver....

New Le Creuset color!

An email from Sur La Table popped up this morning directing me to this page

with a display of Le Creuset new "Caribbean" color.

I think I'm in love. I have to keep reminding myself that

"I don't need another piece of cookware!" "I have everything I could ever need"

"It would be extremely foolish to buy something just for the color."

However, it would look nice with the other "southwest" colors in my kitchen.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie,

I hate to do this to you but I saw it last week at Bloomingdales and must say that the Sur la Table pictures don't do it justice. If it is the same color I saw, it's not as light in person. More intense. Jewel-like. But it may just be that the pieces I saw had heavier applied enamel. Or my monitors.

If I wasn't so firmly invested in the dune and black satin, the fiesta bright color would have had me whipping out my card in nothing flat... or well, maybe just one piece would be nice?

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali