• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

I got prices ranging from 189.00 to 229.00 some with free shipping, some with shipping added, all on Amazon, various listings were 7 quart, 7.25 quart, 7.5 quart, 7 1/4 quart.

I am in southern California. If I use my Amazon account, they offer a 10% discount, however I have yet to use it, I think they figure they will get back any discount from interest but I never carry a balance on credit cards.

I have bought most of my Le Cruset locally (sort of) as when Sur La Table in Pasadena had a special sale.

It does seem odd that the prices vary so much. These were all either the red or the blue pots. I didn't try the other colors.

Oh yeah, there was a free grill with two of the above.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Where are you, KitchenQueen?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If anyone is interested this is the site where all the Factory Outlet Stores are listed.

I have shopped at the Cabazon, California outlet. We usually stop there on our way back from the Palm Springs dog shows.

I have been hoping one would be added to the huge Camarillo outlet mall or the (even closer for me) outlet mall at Barstow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBH...glance&n=284507

It shows $229 for the red for me, plus free shipping. I swear that when I looked yesterday it was $159. I am starting to wonder about my memory though.

Alan

Edited: I'm in Missouri

Edited by A Patric (log)

Check this page Le Creuset at Amazon The 6 3/4 oval French oven is 149.99 on this page. Not a lot of size difference between it and the 7 1/4.

Check this page Le Creuset at Amazon The 6 3/4 oval French oven is 149.99 on this page.  Not a lot of size difference between it and the 7 1/4.

I get 149.99 for the 6 3/4 in white. Other colors are 219.99.

Blue: $199 with free grill, shipped from J&R Music, shipping extra

Red:  $229, free shipping

Fultonville, NY (upstate, west of Albany)

Same for me, if I pick the Super Saver Shipping choice for the red.

Northeastern Minnesota.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well, when I got home it was $229.00. Glad I shopped yesterday. I was going to buy another for a gift. Not now.

FYI, the normal shipping charge they deducted (for the free shipping ) was about 13.90 to Texas. I'm not sure where they ship from

Well, when I got home it was $229.00.  Glad I shopped yesterday.  I was going to buy another for a gift.  Not now.

FYI, the normal shipping charge they deducted (for the free shipping ) was about 13.90 to Texas.  I'm not sure where they ship from

Today it's 149.99 on the Friday Sale.

click

There might be an offer for 25 off a purchase of 150.00. You'd have to find something for 1 dollar though.

Today it's 149.99 on the Friday Sale.

click

There might be an offer for 25 off a purchase of 150.00.  You'd have to find something for 1 dollar though.

I see the same sale for today 149.99 free shipping - blue 7 1/4 qt http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBH...itchen&v=glance

Or a blue 7 1/4 w/ a grill for 199.99 from J&R

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBH...itchen&v=glance

[Don't forget the LC lookalikes at Target.  They only come in two sizes (round 4 quart and oval 5+ quart, as I recall) and only two colors, but at $39.99, I could live with either color!  Note that these are not featured on the Target web-site.

I've been keeping an eye on those in my local Target. It's very busy, but the floor models have gotten *very* chipped (last one I looked at had a chip on the handle the size of my thumbnail, with bare metal exposed). The enamel seems to be around 1/16" of an inch thick. The local Sur la Table is not as busy as Target, but they keep far more Le Creuset and Staub out for inspection... and I've never seen a chipped piece.

So yes, the Target pieces may be ok, but I'd really worry about their durability if you have children or butterfingers. And I may not have kids, but my SO and spills seem to go together...

Emily (who really wanted the Target knockoffs to be sturdy enough to be worth buying)

Okay, after all my whining about price differentials, I got my Le Creuset 7 1/2 round blue baby.

It's been sitting on my range for days due to my work schedule. I was one of those who always kept the completely unused teapot (different thread) on the range cause it was pretty.

Okay, I have the day off .I went to 3 different supermarkets and could not find any flippin' short ribs, bone in or otherwise. Hear me scream?

Everyone suggested short ribs as the way to break my new expensive baby.

Okay, stupidity alert. I got some gorgeous chuck roasts. Can I substitute?

Anyone got a recipe? If I don't cook in this tonight, I'll scream.

I want to live next door to a Central Market in my next life.. Please God.

Okay, after all my whining about price differentials, I got my Le Creuset  7 1/2 round blue baby.

It's been sitting on my range for days due to my work schedule.  I was one of those who always kept the completely unused teapot (different thread) on the range cause it was pretty.

Okay, I have the day off .I went  to 3 different supermarkets and could not find any flippin' short ribs, bone in or otherwise.  Hear me scream?

Okay, stupidity alert.  I got some gorgeous chuck roasts.  Can I substitute?

Anyone got a recipe?  If I don't cook in this tonight, I'll scream. 

I want to live next door to a  Central Market in my next life..  Please God.

Absolutely to the chuck roast. Congrats on the purchase, BTW.

Brown that chuck (salt and peppered first) up nicely on both sides. Remove to a plate. Saute up some onions and some celery. Some would add carrots at this point, but to my taste, they are a bit sweet to be added this early in the process. Add some garlic (very roughly chopped) at the end. Deglaze the pan with some red wine, let it reduce a bit. Plop that browned chuck back in the pot, add some stock (I usually use chicken because I always have more of it on hand) to go about 1/2 way up the side of the roast. Bring to a simmer, cover and stick in a 250 oven. Somewhere along the way, add some root/tubers (carrots, parsnips, etc.) if you want. Oh, and when you stick it in the oven, don't hesitate to add some thyme and a bay leaf or two.

When it's done (I just sort of wing it on time), either eat it then, or better yet, wait until the next day.

If I'm waiting to serve it the next day, I don't add the veg until you reheat it. Take the meat out, stick it in a zip lock. Take the liquid and put it in a second container. When you're ready to reheat it, just put it all back in the LC along with some veg and reheat at 250 or so.

Also, do buy a copy of the All About Braising book.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Okay, after all my whining about price differentials, I got my Le Creuset  7 1/2 round blue baby.

It's been sitting on my range for days due to my work schedule.  I was one of those who always kept the completely unused teapot (different thread) on the range cause it was pretty.

Okay, I have the day off .I went  to 3 different supermarkets and could not find any flippin' short ribs, bone in or otherwise.  Hear me scream?

Okay, stupidity alert.   I got some gorgeous chuck roasts.  Can I substitute?

Anyone got a recipe?  If I don't cook in this tonight, I'll scream. 

I want to live next door to a  Central Market in my next life..  Please God.

Absolutely to the chuck roast. Congrats on the purchase, BTW.

Brown that chuck (salt and peppered first) up nicely on both sides. Remove to a plate. Saute up some onions and some celery. Some would add carrots at this point, but to my taste, they are a bit sweet to be added this early in the process. Add some garlic (very roughly chopped) at the end. Deglaze the pan with some red wine, let it reduce a bit. Plop that browned chuck back in the pot, add some stock (I usually use chicken because I always have more of it on hand) to go about 1/2 way up the side of the roast. Bring to a simmer, cover and stick in a 250 oven. Somewhere along the way, add some root/tubers (carrots, parsnips, etc.) if you want. Oh, and when you stick it in the oven, don't hesitate to add some thyme and a bay leaf or two.

When it's done (I just sort of wing it on time), either eat it then, or better yet, wait until the next day.

If I'm waiting to serve it the next day, I don't add the veg until you reheat it. Take the meat out, stick it in a zip lock. Take the liquid and put it in a second container. When you're ready to reheat it, just put it all back in the LC along with some veg and reheat at 250 or so.

Also, do buy a copy of the All About Braising book.

Snowangel,

Thank you.

You not only said yes, you actually gave me a great step by step recipe. I owe you, bigtime, and am most appreciative.

Thank you so very,very much.

But you can stuff that "eat it tomorrow" part. Ain't gonna happen.

I also have a yearning for some really good Scot shortbread. I will make some tonight in your honor.

And I will find that book and buy it.

Thanks again Lady !!!! :wub:

I was fortunate to be gifted a large set of Le Creuset about a decade ago. Although I don't have all the pieces, I have about 9 different pots/skillets and their lids.

While I like them, and am grateful for them, i live in a home that is wired for electricty and cannot be converted to either natural gas or propane without a lot of money being invested.

So - I have to make do with an electric stove. Le Creuset cannot be used on the new smooth cooking surfaces, so while I yearn for an super easy-to-clean cooktop it just won't happen.

My cookware is worth more than the stoves.

Another thing - don't put them in the dishwasher. After coming home from a month-long absence, I found all my pots had been put in the dishwasher - and it caused the unfinished cast rims to develop a 'rust'. I've been able to remove most of it - but the interior enamel on certain pots seems to have been compromised, and has subsequently been scratched by utensils.

All in all - they are good cookware. good heat conductivity.

Le Creuset cannot be used on the new smooth cooking surfaces

This might be a stupid question, but is that really true? And if so, why?

Is it just a scratching issue? And if it is, pots that are enamelled on the bottom (rather than than having a raw-iron base) should be okay, no?

I ask because I'm used to cooking on gas, but i'm thinking of giving a piece of LC as a present to a friend who's getting an induction cooktop. Don't want to go buying the wrong thing ...

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

All in all - they are good cookware.  good heat conductivity.

Really? I don't think of cast iron or enamel as good conductors of heat, as, for example copper or aluminum.

There is a tremendous difference in the reaction of copper to a heat source, compared to LC.

So - I have to make do with an electric stove.  Le Creuset cannot be used on the new smooth cooking surfaces, so while I yearn for an super easy-to-clean cooktop it just won't happen.

Don't want to hijack this topic, but it you look here (and click on the links), you'll find that not everyone found those smooth cooktops to be so easy to clean.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

All in all - they are good cookware.  good heat conductivity.

Really? I don't think of cast iron or enamel as good conductors of heat, as, for example copper or aluminum.

There is a tremendous difference in the reaction of copper to a heat source, compared to LC.

You're right about the heat conduction; cast iron isn't a good conductor. It is, however, a terrific heat reservoir. Once you get the stuff hot, it holds the heat well.

So - I have to make do with an electric stove.  Le Creuset cannot be used on the new smooth cooking surfaces, so while I yearn for an super easy-to-clean cooktop it just won't happen.

Don't want to hijack this topic, but it you look here (and click on the links), you'll find that not everyone found those smooth cooktops to be so easy to clean.

The cleaning issue is one of the reasons I stopped looking at glass-topped stoves. But aside from that, I have to echo pigeonpie's question above: why couldn't you use Le Creuset on one of them? Le Creuset is magnetic, so it will work with induction. Is it a concern of scratching or breaking the top? Is it the size limitation? (Most glass-topped stoves can't handle very large pots like canning kettles without damaging the non-burner glass, so a large oval LC might be too big along its long axis.) Otherwise, you may be short-changing yourself on the cooktop. If you really want one of those things.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I know that the latest LeCreuset is advertised as safe for use on smooth tops but the older stuff was not enamelled on the base. I know this because I gave my daughter my new skillet and kept the older one as it is not enamelled and would likely scratch the surface.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog