• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waldorf salad - and variations

Jaymes

Some of these variations sound really good. However, there is nothing like the original. However... My family used to substitute pecan halves for the walnuts. Occasionally, my mother would add golden raisins and I would have a hissy fit. Marshmallows??? NEVER! We always used Hellman's but sometimes cut it with a little sour cream. Whenever we tinkered with it beyond the addition of the pecans, we always called it something else.

Another addition that I like is yogurt with the mayo and whip in a bit of curry powder... the traditional English version in the can.

BTW... the addition of chicken and the mandarin orange sections is one of my all time favorite chicken salads. No... It is not Waldorf salad. It is a very good chicken salad.

All of that being said, the original is sublime in its simplicity... one of those things that is more than the sum of its parts. And it is so good that you can mess with the classic and come up with something really good.

I like the tart snap of Granny Smiths. Any other favorite apples for this?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There aren't many foods I don't like, and I'm sorry to say this, but jello salads and Waldorf salads are two things I can't even force myself to eat to be polite if they are served to me.  I may stand alone in my distaste for it, but it is a serious aversion to me, fashionable or not.

I'm with you on this one. In my opinion, the only good thing that Waldorf salad ever did was to inspire a hilarious Fawlty Towers scene.

I am with the faction that loves the Waldorf..however, since I didnt' grow up with it and couldn't care less how it originated, in addition to being allergic to walnuts, I have used dried cherries that I've soaked in hot water, but have been thinking about soaking in some sort of spirits...just haven't figured out what yet. I also have used spicy pecans in it. I don't think it's too hard to find the original version of the Waldorf for all the purists out there...I thought you were asking for variations on a theme :huh: Yeah, it's good the way God intended it :raz: ....but it's always fun to expand horizons :wink: I've used dried cranberries, but I prefer the dried cherries....and marshmallows???? hmmmm......I'd rather have some icecream or something after dinner, hehehehe. I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's additions!

I don't give a rat's ass if it's fashionable or not. It's a good salad, a hundred-odd years notwithstanding. I'll take it any day over some of the abominations I've seen called "caesar."

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I worked at Bayona, in New Orleans, Susan Spicer made a Waldorf salad of G. Smith's, shallots, celery, parsley, crushed walnuts, walnut oil, and sherry vineger, S&P. It was a side to a smoked duck sandwich. It rocked.

Edited by Timh (log)

There would be a family uprising if I didn't have my Waldorf salad at Thanksgiving. It consists of:

Peeled diced apples

Peeled diced pears

Red and green grapes, halved

Chopped pecans or walnuts (or a mix)

Dried cherries

Raisins

Hellman's mayo and juice from half a lemon

Not THE traditional Waldorf, but damn tasty.

I have used dried cherries that I've soaked in hot water, but have been thinking about soaking in some sort of spirits...just haven't figured out what yet.

You might try Peter Heering, the Danish cherry liqueur which can be diluted 1/2 & 1/2 and which has an intense cherry flavor to enhance the flavor of the dried cherries. I use it when I plump them for a cherry/vanilla cake.

It used to be called Cherry Heering and when I was in my teens my mother was very fond of it. The name changed some years ago but the product is still the same. It is much smoother than the cherry brandies and Kirsch.

And is usually less than 20.00 a bottle, much less than the Kirsch, at least the good ones.

For a non-drinker, I have a fairly extensive collection of liqueurs, wines and other spirits that I use in cooking and baking. I have to depend on other people to tell me about the particular characteristics of these various items and rely mostly on an elderly gentleman who spend many years working at the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena as the bar manager, until he retired 20-some years ago. He is a friend of my dad's and I visit him often when I get to the other side of the "hill" (the San Gabriel mountains). He has an almost encyclopedic memory of vintage wines, fortified wines and spirits and popular drinks of bygone days.

And lots of stories.

Anyway, when I was trying unsuccessfully to get the flavor I wanted in the cherry vanilla cake,( I can taste it after baking because the elements in the spirits to which I am allergic disappear in baking or very long cooking), he suggested the Cherry Heering and it was the flavor I had been trying to achieve.

At one time it was used as the dominant flavor in a popular champagne punch, and the color was a deep rose which was also very attractive. It was also an important component of the verson of the Singapore Sling cocktail served at the Huntington back in the 'teens, 20s and 30s.

Anyway, give it a try and see how you like it. I believe it may be available in smaller bottles too, although I have always bought it in the "fifth" size.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I worked at Bayona, in New Orleans, Susan Spicer made a Waldorf salad of G. Smith's, shallots, celery, parsley, crushed walnuts, walnut oil, and sherry vineger, S&P. It was a side to a smoked duck sandwich. It rocked.

Now this sounds like an interesting and delicious update, but I think I'd miss the mayo.

And chromedome, thanks for the Caesar reference, beccause I was thinking the same thing. A Caesar is a Caesar, and a Waldorf is a Waldorf. One can fiddle, add, subtract and, as fifi mentioned, arrive at something wonderful. But it's not a Waldorf. To me, a Waldorf shouldn't be too fruity. I love raisins, but I think they add too much sweetness in a Waldorf. (They also annoy the hell out of me when I find them in a carrot salad.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

That does sound delicious.

I love the traditional Waldorf with homemade mayonnaise. It was always served at formal dinners at our house. I still remember what it looked like on my mother's china salad plates.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

When I play with this wonderful simple salad I might:

make it half mayo, half sour cream ---- or

use sunflower seeds as DH has a nut allergy ----or

add some celery seed. Not much is needed ---or

add some McCormacks minced orange peel -----or

halved grapes.

You mean the "Smoked Duck, Cashew Butter & Pepper Jelly on Toasted 7-Grain Bread"? Well, hot damn! it must have been good, 'cause that sandwich lives in my memory as one of the best things I ever ate and I KNOW that if I hadn't liked the salad I would remember that part, too. :raz:

Edit to add: andiesenji -- Cherry Heering!!! a blast from the past. :laugh: The first alcohol I ever sneaked from my parents. (Well, wouldn't you choose it over Manischewitz, too? :unsure: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Waldorf...the ultimate breakfast salad, I think!

Variations that are OK by me are:

- cutting the mayo with a sharp yogurt

- adding a hint of curry to the mayo if I'm adding chicken

- using pecans.

Like the sound of green grapes, would include small button mushrooms, halved (though not with grapes)....but no dried fruit for me!

...edited from SHEER NECESSITY...and what would a "Walsorf" salad be like, anyway? :hmmm:

Edited by helenjp (log)

I was just about to say - how could it be that no one adds blue cheese to their waldorf?!

Apple-sweet, walnut-rich, mayonnaise-tart - and blue for earthiness and creaminess and musty tang. The only way to tie everything together (dried sour cherries would go wonderfully well here too).

The "Katie's Funky Waldorf" that I serve in the summertime includes sliced Fennel instead of celery, diced pears instead of apples and cashews instead of walnuts. Crumbled gorgonzola and chopped fennel fronds to garnish. Dressing consists of VERY thick commercial Russian or Thousand Island dressing (I usually use the Marie's that's refrigerated in the produce section and is approximately the texture of mayonaisse) and thin it with a few tablespoons of thawed apple juice concentrate. That's it. Simple and very tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The "Katie's Funky Waldorf" that I serve in the summertime includes sliced Fennel instead of celery, diced pears instead of apples and cashews instead of walnuts.  Crumbled gorgonzola and chopped fennel fronds to garnish.  Dressing consists of VERY thick commercial Russian or Thousand Island dressing (I usually use the Marie's that's refrigerated in the produce section and is approximately the texture of mayonaisse) and thin it with a few tablespoons of thawed apple juice concentrate.  That's it.  Simple and very tasty.

Guess with all those substitutions, it bears little or no resemblance to classic Waldorf ... but it sure sounds good, Katie! Maybe a Sheraton Plaza instead of the Waldorf? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The "Katie's Funky Waldorf" that I serve in the summertime includes sliced Fennel instead of celery, diced pears instead of apples and cashews instead of walnuts.  Crumbled gorgonzola and chopped fennel fronds to garnish.  Dressing consists of VERY thick commercial Russian or Thousand Island dressing (I usually use the Marie's that's refrigerated in the produce section and is approximately the texture of mayonaisse) and thin it with a few tablespoons of thawed apple juice concentrate.  That's it.  Simple and very tasty.

Guess with all those substitutions, it bears little or no resemblance to classic Waldorf ... but it sure sounds good, Katie! Maybe a Sheraton Plaza instead of the Waldorf? :rolleyes:

Perhaps a Trump Plaza?? The Fennel Fronds could be smoothed into submission with the dressing and bear resemblance to Donald's hair. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ok you guys... That is my GulleyLaugh for the day.

Actually, using apple juice concentrate to cut the mayo is truly inspired. I'm gonna try that on the "traditional" recipe. I will bet it is a wowser. I have always found that straight mayo is a bit "heavy" and usually use sour cream or yogurt to cut it a bit.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose