• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waldorf salad - and variations

Jaymes

Asked these questions in the "Thanksgiving sides" thread, but got no reponse.

I'm trying a more aggressive, brazen approach.

What kind of apples?

Do you put in anything besides the traditional apples, celery, walnuts, raisins?

How about the dressing - just Mayo, or mayo with little extra lemon? Sugar? Durkee's? What?

My Waldorf Salad is damned adequate, but I have a feeling it could be much better.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Best to use two types of apples, one green and one red (in about a 2:1 green:red ratio). Variety isn't super-important; better to get whatever is good at the time you're shopping.

Are raisins traditional? I wouldn't use them. But if you're accustomed to their taste, you might find that dried cranberries are on the whole a better salad ingredient than raisins.

Lemon juice and honey in the dressing.

Bibb lettuce is the way to go.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What kind of apples?

Newtown Pippin or Ashmead Kernel or Esopus Spitzenberg are my favorite apples around this time.

Let me know which one you use. :smile:

My mother always used Red Delicious. I think that was pretty-much the only choice back in the olden days. But I just read an article saying that the only thing "delicious" about Red Delicious is the name.

And I've tried a few other varieties, but haven't settled on one.

So, that's why I'm asking the wise and wizened eGulleteers.

EDIT: Should add that I really like Fuji for snacking, but fear the flavor is too mild to stand up to a salad.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

But I just read an article saying that the only thing "delicious" about Red Delicious is the name.

And I've tried a few other varieties, but haven't settled on one.

Yeah... it is only the name that is delicious about those.... Well, when I was a kid in India, I did have some good red delicious apples... But this last visit, what I ate were closer to what we get here.. Great looks, little flavor.

Again, Newtown Pippin or Ashmead Kernel or Esopus Spitzenberg are what you should look for. Once you have tried any of these, you will want to find trees to plant so you can grow them and have your own supply. They are each amazing.

I favor a Haralson apple -- tart and very crisp. I think the texture of the apple is very important. I make dressing similar to the one FG suggested. Whether I put raisins or some other dried fruit depends on what (if any) I have.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The dressing is the tricky part. Is it mayo, lemon juice, honey or sugar? Anything else? How much of everything goes in it? Does the lemon juice help to keep the apples from turning brown? How far in advance can one make this salad? I've never made waldorf salad.

The dressing is the tricky part.  Is it mayo, lemon juice, honey or sugar?  Anything else?  How much of everything goes in it?  Does the lemon juice help to keep the apples from turning brown?  How far in advance can one make this salad?  I've never made waldorf salad.

Lemon and sugar I am told help apples from turning color.

I have had great success using that trick when making Apple Halwa or Tarte Tatin.

A trick I learned from HRH Julia Child.

I remember a recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks that I used to make quite often a long time ago. It included muenster cheese in small cubes and choped dates, and the dressing had orange juice and orange zest in it. Really tasty, but a bit on the sweet side and quite substantial.

I think that a firm blue cheese might make a nice addition to a more traditional waldorf. Personally I wouldn't add sugar, but then I also wouldn't use super-tart apples like granny smith.

The dressing is the tricky part.   Is it mayo, lemon juice, honey or sugar?  Anything else?  How much of everything goes in it?  Does the lemon juice help to keep the apples from turning brown?  How far in advance can one make this salad?   I've never made waldorf salad.

Well, in the South of course, we always add a little Durkee's Famous Sauce. Ain't no such thing as a Southern refrigerator without Durkee's in it.

:biggrin:

The dressing is the tricky part.   Is it mayo, lemon juice, honey or sugar?  Anything else?  How much of everything goes in it?  Does the lemon juice help to keep the apples from turning brown?  How far in advance can one make this salad?   I've never made waldorf salad.

Well, in the South of course, we always add a little Durkee's Special Sauce. Ain't no such thing as a Southern refrigerator without Durkee's in it. :biggrin:

What is Durkee's Special Sauce? You aren't talking about Durkee's Hot Sauce are you? :blink: I think that might be the only kind of Durkee sauce we get up here, I would have to check.

Well, in the South of course, we always add a little Durkee's Special Sauce. Ain't no such thing as a Southern refrigerator without Durkee's in it. :biggrin:

What is Durkee's Special Sauce? You aren't talking about Durkee's Hot Sauce are you? :blink: I think that might be the only kind of Durkee sauce we get up here, I would have to check.

No - it's not what most people would consider "hot." It does have some horseradish, however, to give it a pretty good zip.

It's creamy - kinda mustardy, kinda sweet, kinda tangy.

It comes in a concial-shaped jar with a turquoise lid. It's with the salad dressings and mayos in the grocery store.

We put it in lots and lots of things - slaws and salads and deviled eggs come immediately to mind. Some people just smear it directly on their bread for sandwiches, but the horseradish makes it a little strong for that for me.

It is ubiquitous. Southern cooks just say, "Oh, and add a little Durkee's, of course." Everyone knows what you mean.

EDIT: Got my bottle of Durkee's. First of all, I had the name wrong. It's "Durkee's FAMOUS Sauce," and although it is "special" that's not the name.

The label says, "Since 1857 - Sandwich & Salad - A Tangy, Mustardy-Mayonnaise Flavor - A creamy deli spread that goes great with sandwiches and sliced meats. Adds zest to cole slaw, potato salad, and makes a tangy sauce for meats and vegetables."

So, you gotta figure if they've been pumping out this stuff since 1857, SOMEONE must like it.

:biggrin:

Durkee's! I'd forgotten all about Durkee's! I'll have to pick up a bottle when I go home for Thanksgiving. Thanks for mentioning it, Jaymes.

Here is the waldorf salad we made at school. I am not a big waldorf salad fan, but this was all right:

Waldorf Salad

Celeriac

Lemon juice

Apple, a tart variety like Granny Smith

Sea salt and white pepper

Walnuts

Mustard

Mayonnaise

Mesclun mix

Emulsified vinaigrette

Cover celeriac with a squeeze of lemon juice. Combine with apple and season. Add walnuts, mustard, and mayonnaise. Combine mesclun with vinaigrette. Serve celeriac-apple mixture molded in circles topped with a pluche of mesclun.

• 1 year later...
Waldorf salad was created at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in the 1896 not by a chef, but by the maître d'hôtel Oscar Tschirky, the Waldorf salad was an instant success.....  the original version of this salad contained only apples, celery and mayonnaise. Chopped walnuts later became an integral part of the dish.

Does anyone here have some ideas on updating this particular delight? It is, after all, autumn and this seems perfect for the season ... I have added golden raisins and a bit of cinnamon from time to time ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I love Waldorf Salad, even though it probably hasn't been "fashionable" since our mothers tucked a hanky in their purses before leaving the house and a tatoo was sinister and shocking. And it's so good that it doesn't have to be fashionable, rather like good pearls or Standing Rib for Sunday dinner.

I would not mess with the original formula any more than I would have tried to make my grandmother switch from a garter belt to pantihose! Please, no apple pie seasonings.

And the thought of marshmallows just might give me the vapours!!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I make with lemon mayonnaise. It adds a nice tang.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oddly enough, Waldorf Salad, in its original form and by its own name, is probably at its most popular today in the cafes and bistros of France and in the Veneto and Piedmont regions of Italy.

As to changes to the recipe, I've seen it served with various combinations of nopolitos, black cherries, cashew nuts, cinnamon, star anise, jalapeno peppers and even with the addition of crabmet. Call those what you like, but don't call them Waldorf Salad please.

Now your talking!! My all-time favorite salad. I love Waldorf in every shape and form in which it has crossed my lips over the years.

I have gently tinkered with it from time to time but the classic is still excellent.

I have added poached chicken to it, substitued candied pecans for the walnuts - also substituted pistachios on request because a guest was allergic to walnuts. Oh yes, and sliced, toasted almonds.

I have used a sour cream based dressing that included a little Thai sweet chile sauce that gave it a bit of a tang and a lovely rosy glow.

On at least one occasion when I did not have enough crisp apples (the other variety just won't do), I added jicama and everyone commented on how well it worked. Rather than cubes, I cut it into matchsticks so it would be distinct from the cubes of apple.

Never have and never will include a marshmallow. However I do recall, now that I am thinking about it, that I did try it a couple of times with Mandarin orange segments and used the juice from the can in the dressing. My guests like it quite a bit, and both times those also included poached chicken.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There aren't many foods I don't like, and I'm sorry to say this, but jello salads and Waldorf salads are two things I can't even force myself to eat to be polite if they are served to me. I may stand alone in my distaste for it, but it is a serious aversion to me, fashionable or not.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Love, love, love Waldorf Salad............served it last week to my in-laws: I got a bushel of apples and I'm up to my ears in crisp, pie, and slices-with-cheese (not that I'm complaining).

Why mess with a classic?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.