• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what do YOU personally expect of a chef?

Gifted Gourmet

As Mr. Rogov alluded to, it depends on the type of restaurant I'm sitting down(or standing up ) in. First I expect the chef to deliver hot food hot, and cold food cold. Meat temperatures to be correct, salad to be sand free, and finally, the integrity of the dish to be recognizeable. Otherwise I allow for personality influence. I couldn't care less about a happyfeel good kitchen environment(a fantasy ), backslapping purveyor relations, etc... And most important, I expect consistency. If it taste good, its good.

Edited by Timh (log)

my expectations from a chef are that my food is cooked properly - first and foremost. and everything else that adds to the fact i leave the restaurant happy and satisfied.

of course there are occasions that i am specifically looking to be wowed by the food, but that does not happen too often.

of course there are occasions that i am specifically looking to be wowed by the food, but that does not happen too often.

But shouldn't it? Happen more often, I mean ... for what some restaurants are charging today, I really expect to be wowed ...

at a chain restaurant, I simply expect to be fed, but a really good chef ought to put his/her heart and soul into the meals sent out from the kitchen ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A noble idea indeed. In a 20 seat place maybe, but in any sort of volume its about effeciency in producing it. The chef remembers the first and last plate, the rest are a mad dash. The initail conceptions are romantic, but after the first twenty, it becomes routine.

A noble idea indeed. In a 20 seat place maybe, but in any sort of volume its about effeciency in producing it. The chef remembers the first and last plate, the rest are a mad dash. The initail conceptions are romantic, but after the first twenty, it becomes routine.

Ooooooh. My heart pounds upon reading this...for it is not always true.

The romance must be translated into really good-working operations procedures, really-good staffing, and as with any workplace, really-good team building, morale-maintenance and attention to detail both food-wise and human-wise.

Just as it is important (vital) to create an atmosphere front-of-house for the guests through the theatre of attentions that are given (or that should be given if things are to be as good as they could) them, it is important and vital to create an atmosphere back-of-house through the attentions of whomever is running it at that moment, be it exec chef, chef, boh manager, expeditor, whomever.

Granted, this is not often done. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Romance, in this case, can be translated and remembered...then shown on the plate...through a good, consistent series of management theories and actions. It may feel 'routine' but it is still possible for the romance to be felt and tasted at table.

I guess it comes down to...you may not remember that one plate that went out in the rush of things...but in the best of worlds....it will still remember and carry the intent of the chef who loved it before the rush began.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

I've been reading and pondering about this thread for the last two days, you picked a nice question there Melissa :smile: .

Most of my feelings on the topic have been already discussed, so no need to add "me too". There is one thing I'd like to add to Daniel Rogov's very well put expectations theory.

I agree wholeheartedly to the idea, but I think there's a part of the restaurant industry that is missing from the picture. I'm talking about those places which have specialize in one or few dishes. Where the cooks have no or little culinary education to speak of, instead profit from decades and sometimes generations of experience. Cooks that might know one technique only, but so well they could prepare their dishes in their sleep. Places which can look scruffy, even dirty at times, but where the single signature dish will open new gastronomic horizons.

Eating a pizza at Da Michele in Naples for the first time completely changed the way I look at pizza, the same way that a little unnamed placed on the Portuguese coast North of Lisboa made me finally understand what sardines can be.

To me these sort of cooks play with your (low) expectations and slap you in the face, surprise you with their simple perfection. I love these kind of eateries and their cooks because, as much as I enjoy inventive cuisine prepared by a professional chef, they always remind me that there's people out there who can show you that sometimes simple and straightforward cooking, and loads of experience :wink:, is all that is needed to experience a culinary epiphany.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

To me these sort of cooks play with your (low) expectations and slap you in the face, surprise you with their simple perfection. I love these kind of eateries and their cooks because, as much as I enjoy inventive cuisine prepared by a professional chef, they always remind me that there's people out there who can show you that sometimes simple and straightforward cooking, and loads of experience :wink:, is all that is needed to experience a culinary epiphany.

Mmmm. Yes...I love them too. The total lack of pretension. The solid reality of one thing done well, and in a small personal way. And the seredipity of happenstance when one runs across them by chance, that says "In life all is possible...let me surprise you with something nice".

On a more philosophic than direct level, one of the things I "expect of a chef" is that they/their art or product....be someone or something I would like to spend time with.

As with reading a book that one finds pleasure or not in...eating a meal is highly personal. If you enter into reading a book, the experience is of spending time with the author. I like it to be someone that interests me...that has quirks of personality showing in the work that will make me think or feel in either comfortable or in expansive ways, but someone who has something to say in a clear sense that is their own...and not just a "knock-off" of someone down the street.

This can translate to such small nuances in food. But it is there, this 'read-ability'.

And as with authors, it can say "I want to keep reading, and then to find another book quickly by the same person!" or....it can say...."Well, alright...but there are better ways to spend time than this", or "Okay, I've done it once, so I can say I've done it, but I am not sure what it was all about..."

So...just in a personal sense, I expect that a chef would be someone that I would like to experience more work by, and again and often....someone that makes you want to 'go back for seconds', you know. Not just a flash in the pan.

I expect a chef to show me the inner soul and defining spirit of the food(s) they choose to work with.

That's the sort of thing that I meant - that is to say, I would expect a chef (with due respect given to Daniel's very prudent observations on the 'level' of the restaurant, of course) to take the time to source the *best* produce and then to use his cooking to showcase the soul, spirit of the food. Too many chefs try to 'wow' us with immensely complicated constructions of food, that are pretty on the plate, and 'read' very daringly on the menu, but which don't really work, because they are over-reaching their ability to integrate flavours. I'm not suggesting by 'integration' that every mouthful should taste the same, quite the contrary. What I mean is that there is harmony achieved on the plate, that flavours which simply do not go together should not be together. I appreciate that some chefs who are studying molecular gastronomy are accused of doing this, but it's not about pre-conceived notions of what does and does not work, it's about whether or not they can make it work.

So I expect that a chef will produce the *best* food that he can: if you aren't Messieurs Adria or Blumenthal, don't try to be them. If you can, however, produce a brilliant cassoulet or bouillabaisse, dishes that are traditionally 'peasant food', then that's what you should be doing. If you find some rich, ripe heirloom tomatoes, serve them with a little Mozzarella di Bufala, some torn basil, a little reduced balsamic and sea salt and fresh black pepper, because that reveals the essence of the produce.

What do you expect of a chef?

i expect them to hate my guts, curse at me often, and occasionally even lob a dish at me (which is why i learned to hone my catlike reflexes)

oh you meant as a DINER :rolleyes:

never mind

Beautiful!!!!!!!!

:laugh:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Great topic, Melissa. Very well composed responses from everyone. I don't know that what I have to say is so different from the others, but it is the take me to another level emotional response I want to feel when experiencing fine food from a true Chef.

I expect a Chef to deliver as fine a meal through classic "honest" cuisine (whatever that restaurant cuisine may be) as he/she can with an "honest" signature dish.

To have my "sing the body electric" button to be turned on with each course I have chosen.

Because we eat out only occasionally and then to enjoy the full experience, I expect a chef to transfer his/her spirit and inspiration to the rest of the team. To be pampered by the food in my mouth as well as the service attending me.

We eat good, very good food at home, so if we are looking for a Cheffed restaurant I want more than just good. I want a total experience. I want to feel that this was prepared for me.

I want to come away with a desire to return, to try something new next time, feeling that the Chef is competent to deliver.

OK, so I want a lot. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I agree, the restaurateur and the chef need to put their soul into the products offered (including food, service, décor and ambiance). Unfortunately I think this is not exceptional, but the base level people expect when they walk into a food service establishment...

Be it fast food, ethnic or fine dining, I expect one thing from both the restaurant and the chef; it needs to be something I cannot replicate at home --> the food, décor, service and 'feel'.

Being 'in-the-business' makes it harder for me to attain these criteria, and I understand and can always find a positive attribute in every restaurant... I will not go off on a rampage right now but I am sick of restaurants passing off lamb rack crusted with Dijon, mushroom risotto with grilled chicken...or my favourite to hate: grill Ahi tuna brushed with a Soya glaze with tropical fruit salsa! Uninspired, readily available in any good supermarket and a complete insult to the consumer’s intelligence. All these dishes can be prepared at home, with the help of a cookbook, in under an hour.

Restaurants and Chefs need to make money, but their primary purpose to nurture, nurture both the body as well as the soul.

Note, Food I think is quality under these criteria (food/rooms I cannot duplicate @ home)

1) Mcdonald's/KFC/Jack-n-Box (#1 on my list...I cannot duplicate)

2) Big Als (I think it is closed, Cajun restaurant in the skids of Vancouver)

3) Boulevard

4) Union Square Cafe

5) Palace Kitchen

6) Oceanaire

7) Cafeteria (Montreal)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

... I will not go off on a rampage right now but I am sick of restaurants passing off lamb rack crusted with Dijon, mushroom risotto with grilled chicken...or my favourite to hate: grill Ahi tuna brushed with a Soya glaze with tropical fruit salsa! Uninspired, readily available in any good supermarket and a complete insult to the consumer’s intelligence.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh please...do go off on a rampage later in the form of a different thread. :biggrin:

Note, Food I think is quality under these criteria (food/rooms I cannot duplicate @ home)

3) Boulevard

4) Union Square Cafe

5) Palace Kitchen

6) Oceanaire

7) Cafeteria (Montreal)

Chef,

McDonald's/KFX/J-Box? Really? I see where this fits into the "can't duplicate at home" criteria (although I can't imagine why you'd want to) but I fail to see where a pimply-faced fry cook working for minimum wage is putting his soul into anything.

You'll be happy to know that Big Al's was open last I checked ... which was this afternoon. At least the signs were still up. He's at Renfrew @ First ... hardly the skids Brian! :raz:

A.

3) Boulevard

4) Union Square Cafe

5) Palace Kitchen

6) Oceanaire

7) Cafeteria (Montreal)

Chef,

McDonald's/KFX/J-Box? Really? I see where this fits into the "can't duplicate at home" criteria (although I can't imagine why you'd want to) but I fail to see where a pimply-faced fry cook working for minimum wage is putting his soul into anything.

You'll be happy to know that Big Al's was open last I checked ... which was this afternoon. At least the signs were still up. He's at Renfrew @ First ... hardly the skids Brian! :raz:

A.

Point being...I cannot readily duplicate the taste (and the taste is popular, forgetting that all of us who post on this board are food-snobs, they are the biggest companies in the world, serving more food then most medium size nations eat in a year in a day!)...

To the point of the thread, they serve a product that is the same, one trillion times a year, and with very little variance. That exceeds my expectations...I could never do that. Does that not prove they are exceeding the expectation of the average consumer? Numbers never lie; they are hugely successful because they deliver a product that is priced right…exceeding the expectations of the average consumer!

More importantly, I am sooo glad to hear that Big Al is still around, Daddy-A...lunch next week?

note: oh, yeah...kind of a questionable area of town…I drove by the shooting scene last week!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Post script:

on the pimply-faced youth....McD's and others really, really, really sell the culture! Ask an employee in middle America if he loves working at McD's....Loving IT!

Okay, but then aren't you giving credit to the "culture" and not to the chef? It's the corporate machine & the culture that creates the food and the environment to keep it consistent. I agree with you that it's consistant and I know I can't recreate it at home. But it's not the pimply faced "chef" that's responsible for that. He/she puts a burger on the grill, pushes a button, and flips it when a buzzer goes off.

A.

ps - You're on for lunch. I'll confirm they're open tommorrow.

Post script:

on the pimply-faced youth....McD's and others really, really, really sell the culture! Ask an employee in middle America if he loves working at McD's....Loving IT!

Okay, but then aren't you giving credit to the "culture" and not to the chef? It's the corporate machine & the culture that creates the food and the environment to keep it consistent. I agree with you that it's consistant and I know I can't recreate it at home. But it's not the pimply faced "chef" that's responsible for that. He/she puts a burger on the grill, pushes a button, and flips it when a buzzer goes off.

A.

ps - You're on for lunch. I'll confirm they're open tommorrow.

Exactly, I think we are arguing the same thing...it is all about the 'culture' and how the public embraces it! The culture can be created by the chef, maitre' D or server in smaller venues, in large it is developed and maintained by a corporate culture. It does not matter how it is done...just that it is done; and whenever you frequent a restaurant the experience exceeds the price paid!

Chef/Owner/Teacher