• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(LAS) So Many Great Meals !

Just returned home after a week in Las Vegas and (other than feeling I've gained a few pounds) can say that, with the exception of one bad lunch, all our meals were fantastic.

Having too much fun to keep track of all the dishes through the week but here are a few impressions.

Re-visited some old favorites and tried a few new ones.

EMERILS'S FISH HOUSE: Still can say it's one of my favorites in Las Vegas. The room has been re-designed and quite exquisite. A very loud and fun place with terrific service and food. Texas Red Fish...YUM !!!

PRIME: For someone with a big appetite this is a great steakhouse choice but, once again, my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I could barely finish half of the Double Lamb Chops and our sides of Tuscan Fries and Creamed Spinach.

We split an Heirloom Tomatoe/Maytag Blue Cheese salad and it was still a huge amount.

I think I'm done with PRIME...no matter what I order it's always too much food and I leave feeling absolutely stuffed.

The Palm: There were three of us for this dinner and my husband and friend shared a 5 pound lobster (I had a few bites) and I ordered Prime Rib which I shared with both of them.

It's straight-forward food with very professional and efficient service. Love this place!

BRADLEY OGDEN: Probably the most expensive dinner we've had in the USA...maybe even in France now that I think about it....but WOW is it an experience.

We did the 7-Course Tasting Menu and, after mentioning my love of cooking, was treated to a tour of the kitchen.

The level of service is beyond words....The head waiters wear suits and have an incredible range of knowledge about each and every course. It is a very classy restaurant without being at all pretentious.

Last dinner was at AQUAKNOX and after BRADLEY OGDEN anything would be a bit of a let-down but we enjoyed our meal.

The room (yes..it's very blue) is already very loud but with horrible music blasting it gets even worse. I can't even describe the music....all I could hear (and feel) was noise and no melody.

The service was a little uneven but the seafood is very, very good.

The happy surprise was CRAVINGS....not really a surprise as nighscotsman knows his stuff!

We had one breakfast and one lunch and it's a real departure from my usual idea of buffets (something I generally run from in Las Vegas).

No long buffet counters but numerous individual 'kitchens' with a wide range of cuisines being freshly prepared.

For an amazing value I think CRAVINGS is a wonderful option. It's hard not to over-do as everything we tasted was fantastic.....the desserts....some of the very best I've ever had!

There were three tasting menus (5, 7 or 9 courses ) in addition to the ala carte menu.

We had the 7 course which was priced at $135 per person but we added the Triple Seared Kobe Beef which brought it up to $150. per person.

We had cocktails and bottle of white wine (about $60 as I recall) and I had an additional glass of red wine ($18.00)

With tax and gratuity you can do the math...((-:

Hey...you asked ((-:

That said, when we go next time we'll probably opt for the 5 course tasting menu which, I believe was $110 per person.

My only mistake in ordering was the expensive (for me anyway) glass of red wine. I thought I 'needed' it to go with the Kobe Beef but, in retrospect, I could have skipped it.

Bye the way...on my first visit I had the 9-course tasting menu and even that didn't seem like too much food.

The portions are not large and I love the entire 'experience' so much that I would definitely go for a tasting menu rather than ordering ala carte and being in and out the door too quickly.

Hope I've been helpful.

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

We'll be in Vegas in about three weeks for 7 nights. I'm thinking I need to put Bradley Ogden's on my list. Is it hard to get into? Should I make reservations now?

Do they have a website?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So you got the Kobe, was it not amazing! Did you meet any of his young sous chefs, Adam, Gerald or Jeffrey...those guys are amazing (I am doing an article on them). The kitchen is incredible as well....Bradley knows how to do it right, its costs an arm and a leg, but if you are going to make one meal, make it Bradley Ogden!

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/10992750..._1099361935.jpg

Stupid new image gullet....otherone worked fine!....Well, this is supposed to be a picture of Bradley Ogden and the others.....stupid image gullet!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Hey Chris!

I can't remember the name of the young chef who showed me around....spikey black hair...a few piercings..

Yes, the Kobe WAS incredible..but then the entire meal was fantastic.

Wish I had "connections" like you and didn't have to shell out all that money...but I did very well at the blackjack tables so it ended up to be a free meal.....LOL

Sound like it all worked out int he end with the Blackjack....of course mine was the other way around, ate for free but had to feed the slots an equal amount! Did you eat at Mesa Grill by chance? I am dying to get back to Vegas, I think I am going to try and stay at the Orleans this time. They just built a new tower and its set back from the strip so you can get a good view of the strip. I was not pleased with the crappy view from my room at Caesers....all I could see was the pool and that new tower under construction!

The Hungry Detective

Sound like it all worked out int he end with the Blackjack....of course mine was the other way around, ate for free but had to feed the slots an equal amount! Did you eat at Mesa Grill by chance?

***Yep, definitely successful trip!

No I haven't tried Mesa Grill yet....WOW it is a beautiful restaurant though. Maybe next time.

I am dying to get back to Vegas, I think I am going to try and stay at the Orleans this time. They just built a new tower and its set back from the strip so you can get a good view of the strip. I was not pleased with the crappy view from my room at Caesers....all I could see was the pool and that new tower under construction!

***I also love Vegas and go a few times a year. Sometimes Paris or Aladdin have very inexpensive rooms and good Strip views. I stayed at Paris for Millenium New Years Eve and had a fantastic view looking out at the Eiffel Tower and strip.

If you do another low-roller trip Bourbon Street can be very cheap and is just a couple blocks off the strip (-:

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

We'll be in Vegas in about three weeks for 7 nights.  I'm thinking I need to put Bradley Ogden's on my list.  Is it hard to get into?  Should I make reservations now?

***I'd make my reservation pretty quickly to make sure you get your preferred time.

Do they have a website?

***I think if you go to caesarspalace.com and then on to the dining link there is a blurb I think.

We'll be in Vegas in about three weeks for 7 nights.  I'm thinking I need to put Bradley Ogden's on my list.  Is it hard to get into?  Should I make reservations now?

***I'd make my reservation pretty quickly to make sure you get your preferred time.

Do they have a website?

***I think if you go to caesarspalace.com and then on to the dining link there is a blurb I think.

you mean Bourban Street...home of the $7.77 steak and lobster?...I am thinking of checking out the Greek Isles next time I go...The Pizza Expo is in late March and I am going to go to that for sure! I am sure I will be there before then though...I ate at the Orleans buffet for lunch after new years....pretty good, w 6 live stations for around 6 bucks!

The Hungry Detective

you mean Bourban Street...home of the $7.77 steak and lobster?...

***Well, it's the hotel across the street from Ballys....on Flamingo I think?

Can't vouch for the food but I've heard from friends that the rooms are cheap and not so bad. Best thing is the location right off the strip.

I can highly recommend staying at the Orleans. The rooms are huge (compared to most Vegas hotels), clean, with new furniture, and if you can get one on the east side they have great views of the strip. They have a free shuttle to the strip every half hour if you don't have a car (stops at the Barbary Coast), and you can often get amazingly low rates depending on the season ($20 a night is not unheard-of).

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at any of their restaurants, but I head there for movies at the upstairs multiplex all the time. They also have a big bowling alley.