• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin' -- Part Deux

Dave the Cook

I know, Dave, but the hipboots make the wading sloooow business.. I like the quick link you have here and am relieved that I need no antibiotic to kill the after-effects of Varmint and Dave Stew .. but could you leave out the squirrels? I am on a no rodent diet just now ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

No actual squirrels were harmed in the preparation of the VD Stew, but cute little bunnies were, however.  They were tasty bunnies.

I'm thinkin this girl will be passing on this particular stew. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

By the way, here's a picture of Dave's VD stew, bubbling away:

i324.jpg

The whole thee days, all we ever saw was Dave's hands cooking something. :biggrin:

Marlene

Oh no. I saw his back, the fabulous apron Maggie gave him, and even his face once or twice. (I saw these REALLY close-up. Those of you who have seen Varm's kitchen will understand.) Of course his glasses were usually steamed up...

In addition to really good bunnies, the VD stew contained LSD. :biggrin: It was so good, it was psychedelic!

Eunny, I suspect we DCers may arrange a caravan or carpool. Don't speed in Dinwiddie County, VA though. Only place I ever got ticketed.

That was actually my hand stirring the VD Stew, but it was in my in-laws' kitchen, which is a much better arrangement than my kitchen (at least, the current version). Hopefully, my kitchen will be much more conducive to group style cooking by the fall. Maybe we'll just have a Varmint's New Kitchen Fundraiser! :wink: Perhaps not.

And Al_Dente, I know you'd be here if I just smoked a bratwurst, you ole lug, you.

And there are no newbies when it comes to eGullet!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Your hand, Dave's hand, they all look the same to me :biggrin: . Since we most definately will not be bringing the RV this time, I'll be wanting to take over your kitchen for the butter tart square makings. Perhaps we'll come a day early so I can be out of everyone's way :blink:

Marlene

I don't hide it. I have dedicated the rest of my life to preaching the Gospel of Okra and leading those lost in the dessert back to the Vegetable. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Guajolote did come through with a bumper crop of pickled okra, FWIW.

Still, okra oughta appear at least three times on the menu, right?

Exactly. Three times is a good start.

Okra and Tomatoes

Okra and Risotto (Squeat's idea, done this weekend at my house, stunning!)

Okra Cornbread

And for dessert, Okra Sorbet (no, I'm not kidding-but I'll need to work on it--after all, they make ice cream out of Durian :hmmm::raz: ).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'm sure the purpose of this thread is not to wax nostalgic, but thought I'd share a couple of fond memories from last year:

pigflip.png

pigeat.png

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

Just re-read Varmint's post.  I got so excited at the mention of Labor Day Weekend, I missed the fact the pickin' would be saturday.  Can't do it. :sad:

BTW, I know I don't eat pig, but it just looked like so much fun last year.

Perhaps Dean knows a nice chicken farmer. I am sure someone can brine and BBQ a couple of birds (or more) for those who don't partake o'da pig. Afterall there were, what...120 people at last year's events (including non-eGulleteers)?

I hope Wade Cole (the raiser of the last year's pig) gets a nice throne or Barcolounger reserved for him and his loved ones.

As for money, maybe you can sell commemorative t-shirts like those I saw in the pics posted from last year's pig-pickin'. They will become collector's items before long.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver