• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin' -- Part Deux

Dave the Cook

I don't hide it. I have dedicated the rest of my life to preaching the Gospel of Okra and leading those lost in the dessert back to the Vegetable. :wink:

And for dessert, Okra Sorbet (no, I'm not kidding-but I'll need to work on it--after all, they make ice cream out of Durian

Was that first post mentioning "dessert" just a typo or was it some sinister plot to lead us unsuspecting dessert lovers to unwitting okra ingestion? :rolleyes:

This is a no brainer.... I'l be in Charlotte for the weekend (or can easily arrange to be) and we'll just pop right on up. If I get really motivated maybe I'll even schlep my gear down in the car and set up a portable espresso bar.

Was that first post mentioning "dessert" just a typo or was it some sinister plot to lead us unsuspecting dessert lovers to unwitting okra ingestion? :rolleyes:

Owen, I am betting on banana pudding (with okra hidden carefully under each banana) .. okra pie a la mode is something that would require getting used to and it is, after all, only a weekend ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion, Owen, and yes, please do set up an expresso bar for us! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

SpatchcockChickensandShoulders.jpg

Suddenly I am reminded of Northern Tourists sunbathing on a Southern beach after a long winter. :laugh:

As far as the t-shirts are concerned, we made the mistake of selling them at near cost, making about a buck off of each one.  Oh well.

T-shirts sold ahead of time should be sold for more money than you'd normally ask since they'd be a fund-raiser item. Hell, autograph them. Get Wade to sign them...whatever (as if the Pig Pickin' itself isn't justification enough already for the cost of a collecter's item t-shirt).

BBQ'ers the land over would be proud to wear such Pig Pickin' finery just to be associated with such a famous event.

Small children will inherit the t-shirts to wear to bed at night and will wake up smarter and more polite than when they lay their head down on the pillow the night before.

Wearers of the Pig Pickin' t-shirt will be looked upon with envy as they walk through their communities with their heads held high.

Feel free to use any of this in the sales brochures for the t-shirts!

By the way, t-shirts sold at the event can be priced lower to deplete the remaining stock on hand and make room for the Pig Pickin' 2007 t-shirts! :wink::laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

deplete the remaining stock on hand and make room for the Pig Pickin' 2007 t-shirts! :wink:  :laugh:

Hold on, doesn't this let Varmint off the hook for 2006? :rolleyes: and is he actually entitled to a year off for good behavior? :hmmm:

A year off is the least we can do for him. :laugh:

Besides, the every-other-year occurence seems to be the pattern that is developing...which I am sure is fine with Dean. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Are you kidding me?

Wild horses couldn't keep me away. I'd even repriese the hush puppies. (And the slaw. And the banana pudding. And the shrimp and grits. And the homemade jams.)

'Course, I'd only come because I want to challenge Ryan to an Uno tournament. :wub:

Marlene has been hounding him on this, so it's time to relaunch this thread. Simply put, if Varmint were to put on an unofficial eGullet Pig Pickin' there in Raleigh, North Carolina, would any of you come? He'd slow cook a pig over hardwood, make several sides, and have liquid refreshments available. He'd do it on some weekend. He'd give plenty of advance notice. Marlene will pay for it.

Twist my arm, Dave. :laugh:

Um, yeah. We would be up for it. To say the least.

I'll make the collard greens again. And bring some of my hot pickled green beans - they make great martini garnishes. :biggrin:

I could get on 95 South pretty easily to do this.

Be careful though - the Gullet is a bigger place that it was a year ago.  A tennis court may not be enough.

Vrrrroooooom!

North Carolina is only two bathroom breaks and a moving violation away.

Are new(ish)bies allowed?

I will crawl on my hands and knees on broken glass all the way down I-95 for this. As long as I don't have to crawl back, of course.

I'm in.

BTW, I know I don't eat pig, but it just looked like so much fun last year.

May I come, too?

ROAD TRIP!!! :biggrin::wacko::biggrin:

Someone get started planning the food for the trip down :raz:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Well at three pages already - we're well on the way to blowing the doors off the previous 41! Maybe by Valentine's Day? Bets, anyone?

Good to see all the familiar names and pics again! Better to see you all in person in Sept!!

Richard and I have this inked in the virtual diary and I am happily reading all your wonderful posts rather than studying for a vet pathology exam. Although maybe the chickens, rabbits, and pig shots will help me? Not so much, I think...more likley they'll drive me down to the kitchen to experiment.

Anyhow, Dean...since we are locals, albeit living outside the beltway- how could we?!?!? Feel free to call on us to help out as the date approaches as you see fit. Carib goat sounds excellent, specially if it is a slow cooked curried one :cool: Not sure I want to compete with the bread pudding line-up again. That tower o' desserts was certainly no desert last time :wacko: Maybe I can grow some green tomatos in time, though somehow something heavily alcoholic seems more my bent. Also happy to act as a local shuttle service too/from hotels/airport/house, so long as we plan our imbibition appropriately :rolleyes:

Cheers -

Weka (and Richard - although he is yet to know)

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Eunny, I suspect we DCers may arrange a caravan or carpool. Don't speed in Dinwiddie County, VA though. Only place I ever got ticketed.

I'll be swinging down to Arlinton to pick up my Bro Rich. Should be leaving for Raleigh sometime Friday morning. Could fit a couple folks. Don't expect the vehicle to be quite as packed as on my vacation...

gc2401.JPG

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking that, since many of you have never had the experience (and I am sure that you feel something is missing in your dining resume due to this culinary oversight), perhaps some Possum and Taters might be a fine addition to this event. It just so happens that I know just where there is a ready supply of possums. All I have to do is open my back door about 10 at night and aim towards the catfood. MMMM, grain fed possum!

No, they don't taste like chicken. Think of them as little, tiny hogs. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I truly can think of absolutely nothing that will keep me away this time.

And I'll be happy to negotiate hotel space again, if y'all'd like.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I truly can think of absolutely nothing that will keep me away this time.

And I'll be happy to negotiate hotel space again, if y'all'd like.

Jaymes:

You did such a marvelous job of getting us such a great rate last time and then couldn't join us. :sad:

Here hoping we get to meet this time and do a little of this:

trink39.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Okay - I was reading the thread on cooking contests (which facinate me but I've never entered one) and it occurred to me that there would be a perfect one for this event for those commuting by car.

Manifold Destiny - The one! The only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine

Maybe Varmint would consider inviting the authors as special guests and judges?

Being new to posting at eGullet - let me say that everything so far about this pickin' is looking better and better. Being a native of Raleigh and currently living in Sacramento - to say that I'm separated from my native soil - but more importantly it's food is drivin' me nuts. :wacko: Probably more so my poor husband who's never been to a pig pickin'. So, are newbies invited next Labor Day? 'Cuz we'll be there if it's o.k. and we'll bring something to - anything to support the effort... It sounds like a blast!

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

• 2 months later...
Well at three pages already - we're well on the way to blowing the doors off the previous 41!  Maybe by Valentine's Day?  Bets, anyone?

Bump.

No bets here. But maybe we can start the thread hopping again... :wink:

I just read the entire thread on the last one. Now, I am hooked. I am going to do my best to get there.

I have no idea of where I will be coming from, as it depends on where I have a contract at the time (I am a traveling NICU nurse).

But I have the date already in my calendar.

• 3 weeks later...
Of course newbies are invited, although come Labor Day, I suspect you'll be a veteran of eGullet.

Hi Dean-

We're in. Since we also live in Raleigh, I'd like to offer to help. This is my first post, though I've been following the forum for a while. It all sounds like great fun.

With this much notice, I'll plan to bring several gallons of hoppy pale ale to go along with the tasty 'que.

TomV

Since we also live in Raleigh, I'd like to offer to help.  This is my first post, though I've been following the forum for a while.

Welcome to the Southeast Forum, Tom! We have a number of Raleighites now who have brought us some interesting news of the food in that city! Post often and you will find some very solid food friends in the area! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...