• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin' -- Part Deux

Dave the Cook

YAY!

I'm so happy you're willing to do this again! And nobody had to offer to power-wash the tennis court, even!

The 2003 Picking was the most fun I ever had on any weekend besides the weekend I got married. :wub:

I'm in!

This totally makes my day. Thanks Dean and Dr. Mrs. Varmint :wub:

Me too. I'm so in! I'm prepared to peel another twenty pounds of potatoes. Whoopee! I get to see Katie and Blondie and Dean and Al and Malawry and Marlene and Dave again ---and others too numerous to mention.

Marlene, you get a new title to add to your already impressive list: Fairy Godmother. Thank you.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hardly a day goes by where I don't regret missing the original incarnation of this event. I am absolutely in and very grateful to Dean, Marlene and everyone else for pulling the strings here. Have knife, will travel...and will work for food :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

As I only have to walk a block and 1/2 to get to Varmint's house, I/we would be crazy not to be there. I also offer to cook and offer my basement freezer and fridge for food storage, need be. Dean, we are a year away, but as we move closer, let me know what I can do to help...being right here and all.

Before we get too far on this thread, I'll just come out and say, as crass as it is, the one thing we'll need more than anything is money. We had a tremendous amount of support last year, with tons of people bringing food, tools, drinks and lots of energy. Plus, folks flew here and had hotel bills. Finally, folks did chip in. The total cost for this event, including all the contributed food and supplies, was probably more than $2,000. Nevertheless, the event ended up costing us just a little less than $1,000, after contributions (I got about $350 in contributions). This was primarily because we rented a tent, tables and chairs, a port-a-potty, and two cookers. Plus, because we got a free-range organic pig, it was a bit more expensive.

I can't thank everyone enough for the support they gave last year, and some folks' contributions were incredible, but I'll need to be quite a bit more aggressive this year. And the cost will be about the same.

There, now that I've put such of a downer post on this thread, y'all can carry on! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'll need to be quite a bit more aggressive this year. 

How about Benjamin selling tickets at the gate and stamping hands?

:raz:

(You're right to tell us about this, Dean. I'm sure we can all help out.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm in!

This totally makes my day. Thanks Dean and Dr. Mrs. Varmint :wub:

Me too. I'm so in! I'm prepared to peel another twenty pounds of potatoes. Whoopee! I get to see Katie and Blondie and Dean and Al and Malawry and Marlene and Dave again ---and others too numerous to mention.

Marlene, you get a new title to add to your already impressive list: Fairy Godmother. Thank you.

What she said!!!

Whooppeee!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm there. There is no way you should have to pay for this. Didn't we say that last time? And didn't some Suthurn hospitality get in the way? :biggrin:

Y'all just let us know what you need Dean, and it'll be there for you.

:wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Who do I make the check payable to? Just tell us what we need to know. Anyone that was there last time knows you can't put a price on that sort of comraderie and fun, not to mention awe inspiring and gracious hospitality.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

[Marlene, you get a new title to add to your already impressive list: Fairy Godmother. Thank you.

Bless you my child. My work here is done. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go have a word with Santa about a Red KitchenAid :biggrin:

Marlene

Dean, could you consider making this a ticketed event, along the lines of the NJ event where everybody has to pay a flat amount? Or is that out of the question for some reason? I bet you could set it up through PayPal so you even get some of the money in advance of the event if you want. I personally am of limited means and tried to put enough effort in to make up for my lack of cash last time--but I'd hate to think you would have to bankroll this a second time and would gladly help with ticketing if you wanted to go that route.

Seeing this thread got started with 11 months' advance notice, we'll certainly be able to work something out! But let's not dwell on the economics, as that'll bring us all down. The kindness of all the eGullet attendees was amazing, and that's what made this event so special. And your hush puppies, Malawry!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Seeing this thread got started with 11 months' advance notice, we'll certainly be able to work something out! 

Have I mentioned I like to plan in advance? :biggrin:

ANything you need Dean.

Marlene

Right now, I think Labor Day weekend may be a good time for this. That 3rd day gives me time to clean off the tennis court and an extra driving day for others. For the non-US folks, Labor Day is a national holiday that falls on the first Monday of each September, so we'd look at having the event on Saturday, September 3, 2005. This is tentative, but go ahead and pencil in that date.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You drive a hard bargain, Marlene .. but I will check out the air fares from Atlanta to Dean's tennis court landing strip ... :wink:

You can ride shotgun with me, Mel.

Only if you take your Dave the Cook white stretch limo with the coolers for the martinis ... :wink: and don't start the fare meter until after we hit the SC border ...

Don't forget about the Fressermobile: my slick PT Cruiser comes complete with a fold-out tailgate tray in the trunk.

Edited by Fresser (log)

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Right now, I think Labor Day weekend may be a good time for this.  That 3rd day gives me time to clean off the tennis court and an extra driving day for others.  For the non-US folks, Labor Day is a national holiday that falls on the first Monday of each September, so we'd look at having the event on Saturday, September 3, 2005.  This is tentative, but go ahead and pencil in that date.

What's the chance The Connells will be playing in the area that weekend? That's the only way I'm going to be able to lure Blovie to Raleigh. (the only time I travel w/o him is for business)

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Just re-read Varmint's post. I got so excited at the mention of Labor Day Weekend, I missed the fact the pickin' would be saturday. Can't do it. :sad:

BTW, I know I don't eat pig, but it just looked like so much fun last year.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

.  For the non-US folks, Labor Day is a national holiday that falls on the first Monday of each September, .

I'd just like to point out that for some of us non US folks like we Canadians, Labour Day (please note the proper spelling :biggrin: ), has been a National Holiday here for a very long time.

:biggrin:

Labour Day works for me.

Marlene

Just re-read Varmint's post.  I got so excited at the mention of Labor Day Weekend, I missed the fact the pickin' would be saturday.  Can't do it. :sad:

BTW, I know I don't eat pig, but it just looked like so much fun last year.

Ah reckon we could serve Blovie some hush puppies, slaw and other veggie fixin's...

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com