• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin' -- Part Deux

Dave the Cook

Marlene has been hounding him on this, so it's time to relaunch this thread. Simply put, if Varmint were to put on an unofficial eGullet Pig Pickin' there in Raleigh, North Carolina, would any of you come? He'd slow cook a pig over hardwood, make several sides, and have liquid refreshments available. He'd do it on some weekend. He'd give plenty of advance notice. Marlene will pay for it.

We're about to hit the cold season, then the rainy season, then the ultra-hot season, so it's unlikely that he'd do it before the fall. Early October would be a possibility. He could try and do it in June, but that's not a lot of advance notice, and it could be very, very hot. The bugs will be bad, too. He'd do this on his tennis court, so there's plenty of room to mill around.

So, who'd be up for this? He'd need a good show of interest before he could commit the time (and Marlene's money).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Read through 41, yes, 41, pages of this thread again? You can't be for real, Marlene :wink: .. let's just ask Varmint outright if he'll have us (all) for dinner .. that would be much less time-consuming ... :laugh:

If Marlene is also picking up the airfare and hotel rooms, then I am in!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Marlene has been hounding him on this, so it's time to relaunch this thread. Simply put, if Varmint were to put on an unofficial eGullet Pig Pickin' there in Raleigh, North Carolina, would any of you come? He'd slow cook a pig over hardwood, make several sides, and have liquid refreshments available. He'd do it on some weekend. He'd give plenty of advance notice. Marlene will pay for it.

We're about to hit the cold season, then the rainy season, then the ultra-hot season, so it's unlikely that he'd do it before the fall. Early October would be a possibility. He could try and do it in June, but that's not a lot of advance notice, and it could be very, very hot. The bugs will be bad, too. He'd do this on his tennis court, so there's plenty of room to mill around.

So, who'd be up for this? He'd need a good show of interest before he could commit the time (and Marlene's money).

I don't hound people Dave. I nudge gently. :biggrin: And I'm fine with puttin up the money. Just remember you have to keep to a Canadian dollar budget :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Are you kidding me?

Wild horses couldn't keep me away. I'd even repriese the hush puppies. (And the slaw. And the banana pudding. And the shrimp and grits. And the homemade jams.)

'Course, I'd only come because I want to challenge Ryan to an Uno tournament. :wub:

ask me in 8 years when johnnybird retires and we aren't slaved to a hawkwatch :biggrin: . i don't even get to the nj pig pickin' - unless it might rain :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Read through 41, yes, 41, pages of this thread again? You can't be for real, Marlene  :wink: .. let's just ask Varmint outright if he'll have us (all) for dinner .. that would be much less time-consuming ... :laugh:

If Marlene is also picking up the airfare and hotel rooms, then I am in!

It's obviously been a slow day and as I said, I had my reasons. :wink:

no no, you have to get there. I'll buy the food stuff and the beer. (As long as Dave will take me to get it again):biggrin: I mean, let's not get carried away here. :rolleyes:

Marlene

ask me in 8 years when johnnybird retires and we aren't slaved to a hawkwatch :blink: . i don't even get to the nj pig pickin' - unless it rains :angry:

but i do live vicariously through those 41 pages of posts and pictures... :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

You drive a hard bargain, Marlene .. but I will check out the air fares from Atlanta to Dean's tennis court landing strip ... :wink:

You can ride shotgun with me, Mel.

Only if you take your Dave the Cook white stretch limo with the coolers for the martinis ... :wink: and don't start the fare meter until after we hit the SC border ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We should start a thread called something like, "Let's all force Varmint to have another Pig Pickin'"

I definitely won't miss it of he has another one.

Thanks for volunteering Sam. :biggrin: I wouldn't want to be accused of further hounding :rolleyes:

Marlene

I don't hound people Dave.  I nudge gently. :biggrin:

Of course you're right. I apologize. Besides, your gentle nudge will probably be as effective as the hounding Zeb applied to get the Pickin' ramped up in the first place.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Oh oh oh!!! Could it be true?? I am SO there for this! Wouldn't miss it for anything, and will undoubtedly try to drag some more Philly Pholk along with Charlie and myself.

With ample warning more batches of limoncello could be started. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Twist my arm, Dave. :laugh:

Um, yeah. We would be up for it. To say the least.

I'll make the collard greens again. And bring some of my hot pickled green beans - they make great martini garnishes. :biggrin:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And bring some of my hot pickled green beans - they make great martini garnishes. :biggrin:

I'll be happy to bartend! Hot pickled green beans in a martini sound fabulous!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I could get on 95 South pretty easily to do this.

Be careful though - the Gullet is a bigger place that it was a year ago.  A tennis court may not be enough.

Warn the neighbors.

Now!

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Wow, I don't check eGullet for 18 hours, and look what happens! I'm quite confident there will be another pig pickin' in 2005. It probably won't be on Columbus Day weekend, however, as that's a big soccer tournament weekend, and we'll have 2 L'il Varmints playing then. It might be in September, however, and I'm hoping my kitchen will be ready for y'all to run again, but we won't need to be so "friendly", as those of you who spent time in it remember.

So, start thinking of late September, and we'll see what we can accomplish!

Also,last year was about the 8th pig pickin' I've done, so I have plenty of experience with this!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've started this new thread on the prospects of a Pig Pickin' in Raleigh in 2005 after Marlene resurrected the thread from the 2003 event. That old thread is quite unmanageable, so I've gone ahead and locked it. We can now move forward, and the posts talking about next year's event formerly on the old thread are now here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint is my hero :wub: And remember Dean. You're not to try to do this all by yourself this time!

:smile:

Marlene