• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Fresh Tortillas

ScooterQ

Ever wait in line at Costco, look in the person's basket in front of you and think, "wow, that looks good"? Well, in my basket this week was a package of "uncooked" flour tortillas. They sell them in the refrigerator case. I bought them on impulse the other day, and was really pleased with the results. After a minute or two on a hot griddle they puff up like little balloons. They were delicious - just really, really good. No bizarre chemicals on the ingredient list either - just flour, water, canola oil, and salt. They have a 90 day shelf life due to a little oxygen absorber in the package. Tortillaland is the brand (I have no relation to them BTW). According to their website, they're planning to come out with an uncooked corn tortilla, which is another great idea. Just thought I would pass it on . . .

What a great tip, Q. I'll have get to Costco just for these!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ok maybe I am just being silly :raz: But why are you not making your own?

Basically Flour + baking soda + Salt + Shortening or Lard + a little butter and a tad of water

It takes all of 5 minutes in your kitchenaid.

Never trust a skinny chef

Ok maybe I am just being silly  :raz:  But why are you not making your own?

Basically Flour + baking soda + Salt + Shortening or Lard + a little butter and a tad of water

irodguy, if you want to make them yourself I salute you. Martha certainly would . . .

For me, I feel the same way about making my own tortillas as I do about making my own Cheetos - I'm not going to do it better or cheaper than Frito Lay. Plus, given the fact that I am doing the final baking, they feel homemade to me . . .

If you give them a try, I'll try the straight homeade stuff :)

I found them in the upright refrigerator case at Costco BTW - by the cheese and butter.

irodguy, if you want to make them yourself I salute you. Martha certainly would . . .

For me, I feel the same way about making my own tortillas as I do about making my own Cheetos - I'm not going to do it better or cheaper than Frito Lay. Plus, given the fact that I am doing the final baking, they feel homemade to me . . .

If you give them a try, I'll try the straight homeade stuff :)

I found them in the upright refrigerator case at Costco BTW - by the cheese and butter.

I will get a friend of mine who is a costco member to grab me some. I don't remember seeing these @ Sams.

Never trust a skinny chef

We haven't tried making flour tortillas yet, but my husband and I do make corn tortillas sometimes (dried masa - despite living in an area with a high proportion of Spanish-as-first-language people, I haven't been able to find fresh masa; I need to expand my hunting grounds from the Asian groceries to include more of the mercados in the neighborhood). They're quite tasty, and not a whole lot of work.

And you know what? Sometimes even that is more work than I'm up for. Sometimes all I want is to grab a tortilla from the package and continue with whatever I'm making.

Part-time culinary heathen, part-time purist, that's me. :smile:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)