• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Pizza in Ottawa

unreserved

Wondering if anyone knows where to get good take out pizza in Ottawa. I am just about ready to give up. Although I am sure it goes without saying, please no "pizza chain" suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Bella Vista at Bank & Alta Vista is probably the best in the city.

Others rave about Johnny Pizza on Laurier near Ottawa U but I haven't been there in a long time.

When I lived in the south end, I found that the 1 item medium pizza from Shwarma Hassoon ( right on the corner of Bank & Albion) for $8.03 (including tax!) was an awesome deal.

This is a subject that is close to my heart. I lived in Ottawa for 13 years, and moved back last year to my hometown (Welland).

While I was in Ottawa, I often ordered from Pizza Mia, which was near my house in Orleans. There was a time when Milano's was good, and everyone seemed to like the Colonnade and the Newport (I vividly and fondly recall a waitress dropping a large hot pizza in my lap at the latter). For "designer" pizzas, La Favorita on Preston St. was great.

But then I moved home. It was only on returning to a land where literally the sons and daughters of Italian immigrants still make their own sauce and cure their own pepperoni, that I realized that the pizza in Ottawa was vastly inferior to the real deal. I had lived here before, and I can't believe that the quality of the pizza had escaped my memory!

And last but not least, the cheese goes under the toppings. Somebody should tell that to the pizza people in Ottawa. Cheese under gives cohesion; cheese over creates an unstable mass that is likely to slide off the sauce-lubricated crust.

And last but not least, the cheese goes under the toppings.  Somebody should tell that to the pizza people in Ottawa.  Cheese under gives cohesion; cheese over creates an unstable mass that is likely to slide off the sauce-lubricated crust.

The cheese on top thing. Is this the Montreal influence creeping into the Ottawa pizza market? Many Montreal pizzerias put cheese over, & it's usually refered to as Montreal-style pizza. Is the term 'all dressed' used in the Ottawa pizza market?

-Steve

Bella Vista at Bank & Alta Vista is probably the best in the city.

Bella Vista was one of my favourites as a kid - and that was a long time ago (>25years)!! I now live in B.C. and visit Ottawa about once a year. I'll have to pay a visit to Bella Vista next time I'm in town for old times sake.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the leads. So far, I have tested Colonnade and Johnny Pizza. The latter being more to my taste.

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the leads.  So far, I have tested Colonnade and Johnny Pizza.  The latter being more to my taste.

There are a few different schools of pizza loving her ein Ottawa. The Colonnade Pizza, IMO, is vastly overrated. Too much sauce, and so much cheese that you have no idea what toppings you ordered. And yes, the cheese on top thing results in an annoyingly slippery pie that I don't know what everyone raves about. Oh, and it's expensive.

Although similiar in price point, I've found Pavarazzi's (On Somerset, near Chinatown) to be far far better. the crust is thinner and crispier, there's plenty of cheese but not too much, and the array of toppings is alot more interesting.

The Prescott hotel (Preston St.) has been around for eons, and they make a tasty pan-baked square pizza. Although if you go to the Prescott you really should have their meatball sandwich.

The Prescott hotel (Preston St.) has been around for eons, and they make a tasty pan-baked square pizza. Although if you go to the Prescott you really should have their meatball sandwich.

Amen. I called a friend of mine in Ottawa last week and reminisced about the meatball sandwiches at the Prescott. Make mine with cheese, with a quart of Export, and the World Junior Hockey Championship on the TV.

• 2 months later...

As a one time Ottawa resident, I moved to vancouver in 1980, I have fond memories of the Colonade, though my preferences now run to thinner crusts and less cheese. Still the Colonnade's pie was always reliable and my last visit there (4 years ago) did nothing to change my opinion.

Both the pizza and meatball sandwiches at "The P" are legendary and deserving of their icon status.

I don't know if it still exists but the takeout from "La Roma" was always solid and as a residence student at carleton I have good memories of delivery from "Calabria" - all this reminiscing is making me hungry so I'm going to Nat's for a slice.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami