• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More notes

Florida Jim

On day two:

2000 Pieropan, La Rocca:

There is something vaguely resinous about this wine, not off-putting but noticeably different; still good strong flavors, nice balance and good persistence. Somewhat more open than yesterday and no fall of.

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Exactly the same; authentic and delicious.

On day three:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allees:

Excellent aromatics with lime, black pepper, citrus, stone and lightly floral; much more fleshy and round on the palate than day one with deeper fruit and mineral flavors, some spice, good balance and a solid acidic backbone; good length. Has opened a good bit but has years to go to be at full song. A very promising wine.

With dinner this evening that included lobster bisque, salad and duck confit with pasta:

2000 R&V Dauvissat, Chablis Les Preuses:

Decanted four hours in the cellar; oh my! Sensational nose of lemon skin, pear, hot sauce, mineral and flowers; full bodied with a viscous texture, good depth of fruit and mouth-watering cut, flavors follow the nose with all sorts of layers, concentrated and intense, lovely balance; long finish. A memorable wine and the epitome of grand cru Chablis. Will last but fabulous now.

1999 Ghislaine Barthod, Chambolle-Musigny Les Cras:

Decanted four hours in the cellar and one hour at the table; clearly Chambolle on the nose but hard and unforgiving, powerfully built, structured for a minimum of a decade, deeply concentrated and balanced; but not drinking now or anytime soon. Firm and closed – period. Promising.

After hours:

1999 Siduri, Pinot Noir Archery Summit Vnyd.:

Dill pickle juice nose with some dark fruit; better on the palate with crisp, pinot-esque flavors, strong acidity and little complexity; short finish. Needs cheese; needs bread; needs to be in someone else’s cellar. Unpleasant.

Tale of woe:

In anticipation of guests for dinner, I opened and decanted a magnum of 1999 Jadot, Gevrey-Chambertin Clos St. Jacques and it was corked. Having had the wine at release out of this format, I can tell you that “woe” is used correctly in my subtitle. A great wine sacrificed to the cork bane and another vote for Stelvin.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

I feel your pain re: the Jadot CSJ.  I had the '99 about a week ago (750 ml) and it was just lovely.  Sorry to hear about the mag.

kaz,

I went very long on 1999 Burgundies and have tasted widely (although less so at grand cru levels); this was my favorite of all the wines I tasted. Disappointed, to say the very least.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Florida Jim,

I've been meaning to ask you, what ever system do you use for keeping your tasting notes? You seem to have all this info always at the tip of your tongue (so to speak!)

Linda

Linda,

Short-term memory.

I do not make notes while tasting (unless it is a very large tasting event and I try to avoid those) but I write up my notes shortly after the dinner/tasting is finished.

As for wines tasted in the past, although I do keep a data base (poorly organized, however) on computer, most of these wines I have some memory of (and the circumstances in which they were tasted).

And although that may sound like I have a very good memory, the truth is that being retired leaves lots of space on my personal "hard drive;" my wife will tell you that my memory is also highly selective - wine, yes; anything else, no. Thankfully, she's learned to live with that.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com