• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Help on Short Notice

LaurieB

To make a long story short, I need to re-create a dish (which I did not originally cook) that uses a Principesco Brunello di Montalcino. I haven't been able to get in touch with the individual who made it (the dish, that is). So I have a couple of questions.

1. How much should I expect to pay for a bottle of this, assuming I can find it?

2. If I can't lay my hands on a bottle in the next day or so, what can I substitute?

I need to test the recipe this weekend -- I do have some time to track this person down before I have to make the final product, but I still need to do a run-through on it now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laurie

I would save some money and buy a Rosso di Montalcino.

Even a Chianti Classico would do the job and nobody would be able to tell.

I honestly doubt if anyone could taste the difference when used to cook with.

slowfood/slowwine

I agree with "T". Find the most economical Brunello di Montalcino and go with it.

To find the 'expected' price of a wine, go to www.wine-searcher.com. You don't mention the year so the price of the wine can vary. For example, the price of '97 release will be significantly higher than other vintages.

Of course, Principesco Brunello di Montalcino doesn't show up in wine-searcher. By any chance did these people bring the bottle back from Italy?

Edit for dangling modifiers.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Principesco is a label put out by the Cantina di Montalcino, the cooperative in Montalcino and is imported by Paolo Boselli. They bottle wine under many labels. It is a middle-of-the-road wine of average to good quality. However, using it for cooking is still a waste unless you just want to toss good money away.

If you want very high-quality sangiovese character for cooking (or drinking) try Monte Antico, which you can find for under $10. (You might like it better than this Brunello).

Thank you for your recommendations. I got a Brunello for about $9.00, which did an excellent job creating what was essentially a (very very tasty) beef stew.

I don't know the vintage of the original -- as I said, I did not make the original of this dish but now have to re-create it. The person who did the original is, however, a wine rep for a distributor who deals with many smaller wineries.

Again, thanks! :smile:

Laurie

I got a Brunello for about $9.00

:wacko: Brunello for $9? ...and the dish still tasted good? Brunello wine vinegar costs more than $9!

There is no such thing as drinkable $9 Brunello (unless somebody mispriced it). I never understand this concept of putting expensive wines in recipes to begin with and I am willing to bet the Monte Antico I recommended above not only tastes better than cheap Brunello, but does a better job in the dish too.

It is never a good idea to buy the cheapest label in existance of a famous wine name.

Good $9.00 Brunello, 2 Buck Chuck wins taste off with $30.00 bottle, BC wine scores 99. This just proves that all of us that enjoy fine wines are just a bunch of pompous phoneys! Damn I could have saved all that money. I geuss the joke is on me!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/