• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Laksa??

Hi kanga,A while ago I tried a recipe from David Thomson"s Thai Food; sweet crispy pork( if you have the book, it is on Page 398) and it was deilicious, a few steps of cooking process involved, first steam the belly with bone attached, then deep fry, after that coat in a sticky calamelised sauce made of palm sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce and among other goodie. have it with green papaya salad which he suggested. pity I didn't make enough. I never had the Fenix version, but I think the idea behind it sounds simular.

Edited by Dim Sim (log)

• 2 years later...

I've had one okay and one ordinary laksa in recent weeks.

Hawkers Cafe 2 in Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn did an okay laksa - it needed a bit more salt to bring the flavours together.

And I had a dreadful one at Nygona Hut on Blackburn Road.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Okay so I'm digging up an incredibly ANCIENT thread but I just had to add my input: best laksa is at "Satay Delight" in University of New South Wales hands down -no joke!

Best laksa I've ever had in Sydney -ever!

great news Ce'nedra, my niece is going to study there from next year, will sneak in as I am a laksa fanatic....I only know the book buying shop :)

ps, the food at HKU was pretty good, the usual suspects, but filet and frites for $HK38!!!!, didn't cook much at home...

Okay so I'm digging up an incredibly ANCIENT thread but I just had to add my input: best laksa is at "Satay Delight" in University of New South Wales hands down -no joke!

Best laksa I've ever had in Sydney -ever!

great news Ce'nedra, my niece is going to study there from next year, will sneak in as I am a laksa fanatic....I only know the book buying shop :)

ps, the food at HKU was pretty good, the usual suspects, but filet and frites for $HK38!!!!, didn't cook much at home...

What great news! If she loves spicy food, she would definately (or should) love the laska at UNSW :wink:

It's quite a way from the bookshop -in fact, up these enormous stairs we refer to as the 'Egyptian pyramid' -yes, it's that big -but walking (or should I say huffing and puffing) should only entice your hunger further.

I often get the tofu laksa -only about $6 (or was it $6.50 I forget). Some ex UNSW students still visit every once in awhile purely for the laksa (as will I once I graduate).

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any good laksa in Hobart ? I will be there next month. So far I haven't had any luck with the couple of places that I like to try, both places are no longer open, the Choux Shop and Percura restaurant. I need to have laksa at least once a week otherwise I get serious withdrawal LOL, Oh laksa lemak that is, not assam laksa.