• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Rabbit

Knicke

Getting bored with chicken, pork, and beef. I've started looking for a local source of rabbit meat, but so far no dice. I'm not sure if I can wait much longer to try braising some rabbit! But I'm not sure which source I should order it from, if I go that route. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

im not sure what stores r available where you live...but i do know that on a local level we get it or wil be gettign it in our stores sometime soon... i do see it from time to time but have never been much into cooking it...but then again ive never known anybody who could cook it well enough for it to be edible either..good luck finding your source

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Interestingly, the production of rabbit meat is not overseen by the USDA, so you can look for local farmers who might raise some rabbits. State law may impact what you can do, but I've managed to find some very fresh rabbit from local farmers. Just don't agree to watch the "dressing" process in the abbatoire!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

maybe here :wacko:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=..._id=24491&rfi=6

we have two in our neighborhood that a neighbor up the street just put outside one day. another neighbor has been feeding them carrots and they are up to about 6 pounds now... :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tobin, I'm actually about an hour away from Denver, so that's definitely a possibility. Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.