• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Teas - Assam, Nilgiri, Darjeeling...

twiggles

Thanks, andiesenji, I'll have to try tossing the leaves with a fork on a few teas. I have never done that, but you would think it might make a difference. Have you tried it with and without tossing on the same leaves?

• 1 month later...

From another topic ---

Richard,

You mentioned drinking a SECOND flush Makaibari, referring to the discussions here which mainly centred around the AUTUMN flush, a later picking. I may be wrong on both counts, though! What did you think about the second flush, and the Sri Lanka & Assams, compared, strengths & weaknesses, according to your taste? Did you re-infuse & did you use milk with any?

I generally can appreciate the taste & bouquet better only when the tannins are 1/5 the suggested level, so I brew a very weak liquor compared to the prevailing British or Indian standards and hesitate using milk, at least for any Darjeeling i.e. China derived species. I found a curious thing and don't know if others have noticed this: for me Stevia utterly destroys any flavor, from tea & coffee to strawberries, in hot or cold liquids. It completely kills anything worth tasting, leaving a wasteland in its wake. I was unpleasantly surprised with my first experience of Stevia sweetener; perhaps this is just my own peculiarity?

Yes, when I mentioned that, I was thinking of the estate's teas more than any particular flush. I will post more about a couple of Darjeelings and some Assams after I have spent a little more time with them.

I don't usually drink tea with milk or any sweetner, but that's a curious effect from the Stevia. I may have to get some just to see. Anyone else find this?