• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

boudin ?

Posting here rather than in Cooking because I don't want to confuse with other forms of boudin.

I'm anxiously waiting for the Fed-Ex guy to deliver my order from Poche's which is mostly sausages & tasso. Would y'all help me with some ideas for boudin recipes - links not balls.

Thanks, Doug

Sure, a boudin sandwich on good french bread! Slice it open and scoop it out of the casing and spread liberally on the bread. Yummy.

My father used to dip it in Steen's Cane Syrup. I don't think any other brand of syrup will do, though.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I like it steamed in dark beer (Turbodog, of course, is the beer of choice here :wink: ), but any beer will do.

It's great on the grill, over low coals (if you get it too hot the skin splits and it's a pain to deal with) or throw it in the smoker for a while with your butt (or your legs, or whatever :laugh: ).

My favorite way to eat it though, is driving 60 mph on the Marigouin Hwy (check your maps kids), little tiny road on the east side of the Atchafalya Basin that runs between Poche's Boucherie and Joe's Dreyfuss Store -or Breaux Bridge and Livonia if you need towns. Squishing it out like some kind of pork laden toothpaste and washing it down with a cool beverage (of course, I am not reccomending that you drink and drive-but when in Rome......). Dining on fine food at top speed. Life is good when that all comes together. You need about two links from Champagne's grocery or from Poche's to get you to the parking lot at Joe's. Anymore and you won't have room to eat. I love the stuff.

Speaking of Poche's. I stopped in on Wednesday and they had fresh Andouille still warm from the smoker. Big thick links, each weighing in at about 1.5 lbs. I bought 5 links (and some stuffed chickens, a couple of those big mamoula pork chops, and some boudin to go). Tonight we had andouille in a very spicy cream sauce over orzo. Delicious. You should have been here.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Speaking of Poche's. I stopped in on Wednesday

Once again we just missed each other, I was there wednesday morning and I stayed just long enough for an 11:00 lunch.

My Poches crawfish boudin is placed in a baking dish with cooked baby limas, little circles of corn on the cobb, garlic, onion, thyme a little shrimp stock and butter. Then I laid Bacon(rind on of course from McCains) over the top cover and bake for 35 minutes at 375. I served it with a few pounds of steamed royal reds.

Friday I cooked the Poches crawfish and pork sausage with some chicken from Heberts market with an attempt to make the friccasse--Hence my other thread question.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

• 1 month later...

even though it has been 2 years since i left NOLA i STILL cant get The Best Stop out of my mind....how do you think it compares with Poches boudin?

It was the best i ever had. I briefly considered moving back just for that alone but i am so addicted now to the salmon up here in the NW that i dont know how i would manage without that either.

edited becauce of my lousy spelling

Edited by OnlyTheBest (log)

One of my favorite things at Best Stop are their cracklins. Hmm, I like it so much, I don't think I've ever even tasted their boudin. How sad for me. I might have to remedy that soon.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I've never tried the boudin at Best Stop either, although I think that's what they use to stuff their pork chops, which are delish. Whenever we go that direction, we always stop on the way home and stock up on their seasoning mix as well as pork chops. Have to buy 5 or 6 at a time - all our family is hooked.

Stop Family Violence

Mayhaw Man, I heard Joe Major sold Joe's Dreyfus and started making sausage full time. Is that true? Next time you are in Livonia, try LA-78 to New Roads, thats a nice drive also. Speaking of New Roads, there is a new sausage place in town called Kelly's, on Hospital Road. A friend brought a bunch up for our Thanksgiving in Lettsworth. The chicken sausage was excellent. I say that becuase I have never much liked chicken sauage, but theirs was not dry, probably becuase it was mostly pork and not chicken. The smoked boudin was good, and so was the smoked sausage, not Teets though. ch

I've never tried the boudin at Best Stop either, although I think that's what they use to stuff their pork chops, which are delish. Whenever we go that direction, we always stop on the way home and stock up on their seasoning mix as well as pork chops. Have to buy 5 or 6 at a time - all our family is hooked.

WOW! You stop there and have never had their boudin?????

YOU MUST try it! I use to drive over from new orleans when i lived there just to get my hands on pounds of it. AND! I would always have one for the road...or maybe 2 links on the way back. It was a long ride back. I can STILL smell it and taste that first yummy bite....mmmmmmm

SOOOO GOOOD!!!!

Make sure you get some hot and ready to eat next time.

I am so jealous.