• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Season

Richard Kilgore

Anne, I think the pecan caramel is a much better match for the pumpkin cheesecake. Herme's tarte grenobloise has an amazing pecan caramel topping that holds extremely well in the fridge. PM me and I can send it to you if you'd like.

Other thoughts: candied pecans, candied ginger, crushed gingerbread cookies, chocolate ganache

I hesitate to give my opinion because I'm not a professional baker. But as one who fits the profile of a customer flocking to you for more bloody pumpkin  , I thought you would consider my thoughts.

Yours is exactly the opinion I seek.....one who loves pumpkin and who may want to buy a pumpkin flavored item. I'm sure your opinion on the cranberry/pumpkin combo is right on the money. Pumpkin cheesecake is kind of a delicate flavor.....I'm sure the cranberry would overpower. I just never trust my own opinion when I'm working with stuff I don't like.

Regarding the "tiramisu-like" approach to the cheesecake, I'd be more daring if I were

working in a different market.....such as a larger city. Here in Tinytown, there's a lot of

older folks who like their "familiar" food, and I find things sell better when I keep it "down

home" and simple. When I get all fancy and complicated with things, people get scared

because A) they don't know what it is, and B) they won't pay the premium price to try

something they may not like. So, *sigh* simple country desserts it is.......

I went with the caramel pecan topping......a little different, yet something familiar enough

to try. Turned out great. Now, we'll see how it sells........

Anne, I prefer pumpkin in savory or only mildly sweet foods than in real sweets. For pies and such, I prefer sweet potato. That's also a seasonal food, right? How about making sweet potato pie and other lovely confections and breads with sweet potato? Don't tell me you detest sweet potato, too!

Actually I do like sweet potato! I've already made a couple of batches of sweet potato pie.

Kind of a slow seller up here.....that one surprised me. I'm going to try again a little closer

to Thanksgiving.

There is a separate thread on dulce de leche. I can attest to the fact that dulce de leche and pumpkin go very well together.

When I was making pumpkin butter last fall, I had a small amount of puree left from a batch (couldn't fit it all in the pan and stir it easily).

I also had part of a jar of dulce de leche right next to the pumpkin puree in the refrigerator.

I combined the two, cooking it down until it was quite thick.

I ended up with a little more than 2/3 of a pint and it was consumed at one meal, a late breakfast/brunch for 8 on Thanksgiving.

No recipe just a happy combination of two great flavors.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sorry, should have said. I baked biscuits, scones, cornbread, popovers and bran muffins, plus loaves of cinnamon bread, a sunflower honey wheat and brioche.

Some of these guys can eat a dozen biscuits all by themselves.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Speaking of Pumpkins, you know, just once, out of the 30 years I have been watching that damn cartoon, I would really like the Great Pumpkin to @#$%ing show up. I mean in this horrible post 9/11, downtrodden world of ours, I think it would really do some good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And while I don't have a recipe -- I recently had a pumpkin creme brulee tart that was utterly outstanding. I generally don't like pumpkin pie, but pumpkin creme brulee? I could eat a whole 15-inch one myself.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pumpkin cream brulee? Sounds like Heaven to me!!!

I would like to know the recipe for the pumpkin butter. I think that would be interesting. Thanks

Here is my small batch recipe.

Pumpkin Pecan Butter #1 small batch

3 cups granulated sugar

1 cup maple syrup

1 pound cooked, pureed pumpkin

1 Tbsp . pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 cup ground pecans

In a 4 quart crockpot combine first 3 ingredients and set crockpot on high.

Stir well until the sugar has dissolved and mixture is bubbling.

Add the spice

Reduce heat to medium and cover.

Continue cooking at medium, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.

Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir until it is well mixed

Add the ground pecans and stir well.

If the mixture is too thick and seems dry, add another 1/2 cup of maple syrup.

Cover, turn heat to low and continue cooking for about an hour.

Stir occasionally.

Spoon a bit onto a saucer and allow to cool. If you can tip the saucer and the spoonful does not run, the batch is finished.

Ladle into sterilized jars, cover and allow to cool. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes about 2 pints.

• 11 months later...
Every year I try to do something different with pumpkin.

Cheesecake, really good.

Flan, wasn't worth it.

Bread pudding, decent.

Pies with other flavors, not worth it...plain is still the best pie

Semifreddo, HEAVEN

Of course there's cookies, pancakes, muffins and bread for before dessert.

Not too sure what I'll do this year.

Would you care to share your methods for making pumpkin semifreddo...please?

I love pumpkin or squash soup (after all, pumpkins are a kind of squash). My favorite one is made with a pumpkin/squash puree, to which I add fresh orange juice to consistency, a little salt, enough red pepper to give it a little zing, and either cream or coconut milk. The proportions differ a bit each time but trust yourself, you'll find the blend that suits you. :smile:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

There is a recipe for pumpkin creme brulee in Rick Tramonto and Gale Gand's "Butter, Sugar, Flour and Eggs." I haven't tried it but am tempted to now.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Ok, since this is the pumpkin thread.....maybe y'all can help me out.

One of my biggest problems/weaknesses as a professional is to get excited about making

stuff that doesn't appeal to me personally. I hate pumpkin. In fact, I don't even like most

fall fare or holiday foods.....don't like turkey dinner.....have never looked forward to

Thanksgiving. Never had much of a problem with the ol' holiday weight gain, that's for sure.

So I'm making pumpkin cheesecakes at work (not to mention pumpkin pies, pumpkin cookies, and pumpkin bread.....my co-workers are making pumpkin soup)....it's just one big, freaking

pumpkin-fest....woo hoo. Anyway, I like to break with the "same-old" by making whatever I

make a little bit different....add my "signature" if you will. This is easy when I'm making

things I like, but really hard when I'm not.

So I'd like to put some sort of topping on my pumpkin cheesecake. I was thinking of cooking

down some cranberries (a la cherry pie filling) and topping the cheesecake with that. I hate

cranberries too, so since I have no clue, how does that sound to you all.....pumpkin cheesecake

with cranberry topping? Would the cranberry be too strong for something like that?

I was also thinking about something like a pecan caramel topping, but I've had problems with

my caramel becoming very liquid under refrigeration.....

Any ideas and suggestion you all may have is greatly appreciated!

I realize this is sort of late, but rather than a topping on pumpkin cheesecake, a caramel coating over the crust is the easiest thing in the world to accomplish.

This trick was taught to me by the pastry chef at my very first restaurant job.

2 dozen Kraft caramels, wrapping removed.

Place caramels into a pyrex measuring cup. Melt in microwave on medium power and pour over crust before pouring in the cheesecake batter. Voila! Instant layer of caramel under your cheesecake. Fabulously effortless. Works with any flavor cheesecake batter and the dark chocolate caramels work too. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Okay, so I have this large (15+ pound!) pumpkin my daughter won yesterday. She drew on it but didn't carve it. I have no idea what variety of pumpkin it is -- it's locally grown, bright orange all over, and a little taller than it is wide.

Is it worth trying to cook, or am I likely to end up with a fibrous, inedible mess?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs