• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Anchovies Please

I have had Dried Anchovies served with some kind of sauce several times at Korean restaurants. I see them for sale in packages both at the Korean market and the Chinese markets.

So how do you prepare them Korean style. These are served as a side dish with Bolgogi etc.

Never trust a skinny chef

The anchovies themselves are called "myul-chi", irodguy. They're about an inch long, dried whole with the heads and guts on, right?

We tear the heads and the bellies/accompanying guts off and saute them (dry) in soy sauce, sugar (it should be a distinctly sweet/sour thing), chili flakes (sometimes), and ketchup :huh: (more of the sweet/sour thing) and salt.

I have seen them two ways

1) With heads on they are little bitty not more than 1/2 inch long

2) With heads off and kind of split looking.

Both of them were refrigerated.

Never trust a skinny chef

• 2 months later...
I have had Dried Anchovies served with some kind of sauce several times at Korean restaurants.  I see them for sale in packages both at the Korean market and the Chinese markets. 

So how do you prepare them Korean style.  These are served as a side dish with Bolgogi etc.

My mother in law prefers the super tiny ones. She sautes them in oil, sugar and soy sauce. She prefers a crispy finish to them. There is another version with kochujang, sugar and if I recall correctly sesame seeds. I've never seen the ketchup version.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I have had Dried Anchovies served with some kind of sauce several times at Korean restaurants.  I see them for sale in packages both at the Korean market and the Chinese markets. 

So how do you prepare them Korean style.  These are served as a side dish with Bolgogi etc.

My mother in law prefers the super tiny ones. She sautes them in oil, sugar and soy sauce. She prefers a crispy finish to them. There is another version with kochujang, sugar and if I recall correctly sesame seeds. I've never seen the ketchup version.

If you use the tiny ones, do you leave the heads and guts in?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

If you use the tiny ones, do you leave the heads and guts in?

Yes you leave the head and guts in. They are so tiny it would be impossible to remove them. They have more delicate flavor then the bigger ones.

Dean of Culinary Arts

I make this with the small but not the teeny teeny thread size. I prefer them crisp so do the frying before the saucing. One change I made to the tradtional style, is to use Poblano peppers instead of the korean twist peppers. Gives it a much deeper flavor.

yah my mom cooks them in soysauce and sugar until you end up with a sticky product which you eat with rice or whatever. my mom also uses it as a base for stocks.

My wife makes a broth with the larger anchovies and dashi-ma. I understand it to be one of the most basic stocks in Korean cookery. My kids can't get enough of it myulchi goonmeul and gooksoo. Maybe I've had only poor quality dashi stock, but it has always seemed to sweet for my palate. Whereas myulchi goong meul is very clean and refreshing.

Dean of Culinary Arts

in the banchan thread (over in elsewhere in SE Asia):

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=28041

there is some more talk of these and melonpan even posts a recipe (complete with pictures) of the soy sauce version with chile peppers

I am still working on perfecting my kochujang version.... :biggrin:

is there really a ketchup version????

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"