• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top five flavorings?

fatmat

Pure salt

Tellicherry pepper

garlic

cumin

roasted peppers

'scuse my ignorance Laurie - What's Tellicherry pepper?

Most spice experts agree that Tellicherry pepper is the best of the black peppers with Malabar pepper rating second. Both grown on the East Coast of India, Tellicherry is a large very, very black peppercorn, with bold flavor, whereas Malabar is slightly less black, smaller and less pungent. Pungency is the hot sensation produced in the amount by constituents of spices such as pepper, chilies or ginger which also contribute to flavor.

Never trust a skinny chef

pepper

salt

lemon

garlic

paprika

the next five would be

vanilla

sherry

balsamic

basil

ginger

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Only five?

Hm.

koshersaltmaldonsaltfleurdeselblackpepperwhitepepper

butterEVOObaconfatduckfat

garlicshaollotsscallionswhiteredspanishvidaliaonionsleeks

cellarycellaryrootfennelcarrotsturnipsrutabaga

sagerosemarythymecoriandercurryleavespepporoncitarrgonbasilsofallkinds

There.

Easy.

Uh. Limes.

Uh. Ngoc mam.

Uh. Bonito. And kombu. And....

D'oh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Uh. Ngoc mam.

Uh. Bonito. And kombu. And....

D'oh.

salt

umeboshi

lemon pepper

ginger

garlic

Good call on the umeboshi and fish sauce. Also Thai chile, limes, mint.

Ask me on another day and it'll be thyme, tarragon, olive oil, rosemary, and salt.

And another day: cumin, clove, cardamom, mustard seed, star anise

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

hot Thai chili

fish sauce

basil

lemon thyme

ginger

that makes the garlic a root vegetable

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Rosemary

Thyme

Lemon

Bay leaves

Tarragon (fresh only)

salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic are givens. :raz:

for sweeter foods, I like

Vanilla

Fresh ground cinnamon

Fresh ground nutmeg

Cloves

Cardamon

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

smoked paprika

Black Pepper (My grinder broke last week, been having to use a pestle and mortar - and I am finding the control on the grind really brought back what a remarkable spice it is)

Nutmeg (In moderation)

Sherry and it's related vinegar.

Mustard seeds

I love animals.

They are delicious.