• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants open late and/or on Sunday

sara

Hi

Help please!

I'm looking for the best restaurants open late (i.e. after 10:30; my flight gets in at 9:45 on a Friday night), and those that are open on Sunday nights (i.e. not Herbsaint, not August..) for a mid-Jan trip.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated. To get a sense of my tastes--already on my list are Elizabeth's, Herbsaint, Uglesich, and Frankie & Johnny's. I've been to Lilette and Bayona, wasn't terribly enamored of either. Casual or fine-dining--it matters not, so long as the food tastes great!

Thanks

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hello Sara, I am guessing that you haven't gotten much input because you have psoted something of a tall order. Off hand, the only place I can think of is Eleven 79, in the warhouse district. The chef, Anthony DiPiazza first opened a small place in the Quarter that was excellent. His new digs are very nice. Its upscale, and very clubby. I think the bar draws as much buisness as the restauraunt, and it is well frequented by locals who like to party. The food is Italian, and very good. It doesn't get much press, or much talk on these parts becuase there is nothing particulary local about it, so not many visitors get very excited about about it. I know they do a brisk late night business, but I would call ahead as Sunday night can be slow.

Other than that, you don't ahve alot of options, but your best bet would be the Marigny area, you could try La Peniche, a favorite for the restauant crowd after they get off work, or Cafe Marigny, which I think is now called the Marigny Brasserie oe Belle Fourche. I believe all are open late but i can't vouch.

In the lower Quater on Decatur is Maxiimo's, also Italian, I haven't been in a while, but it is very lively. And of course there is always Verdi Mart, but I wouldn't call that a restaurant.

Finally, there is The Delachaise, on St. Charles Avenue, it is really a bar but they serve excellent tapas, try the bone marrow. They do a good buisness with the service crowd also. If I come up with more I will post. Charlie

And if it's really, really late, you can just hit the Verti Marte on the corner of Royal and Gov. Nicholls in the Quarter. It's just a deli (actually, a dingy convenience store with a deli), not a restaurant, but it's a kick-ass deli! Mayhaw Man will have plenty of suggestions for you shortly, I'd guess.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One good Sunday night option is Casamento's. Great raw oysters and fried oyster loaf (like a po boy, but different bread). I also really like the fried crab claws. More info at www.casamentosrestaurant.com

Enjoy!

JR

Thanks all. For clarification-- I am looking a) for a place open late (for a Friday night arrival) and b) for a different place, open Sunday nights. Need not be one and the same. Casamentos is a good option-I've been there before and liked it. Is it possible to get there from CBD using public transportation?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Well that makes quite a difference. Eleven 79 will be hopping on a Friday night at that time. Clancy's is usually happening reasonably late as well. I am sure you could at least grab a bite at the bar. Unlike a lot of cities, most everyplace is open Sunday night, I guess because a lot of tourists leave on Monday. Where are you staying? That could help narrow things down. If you are looking for fun, the Marigny area has alot of clubs, Dream Palace, Cafe Brazil, to name two, and several places to eat. The whole area has a very Bohemnian thing going. Also, there are probably several places in the Quarter that would seat you, I am thinking, the Pelican Club, Galatoires, G.W. Fins, or maybe Tujaques.

As for public transportation to Casamentos, you could take the Magazine bus, I am not sure when service ends. Also, you could take the Streetcar and get off at Napolean, and walk up to Magazine. Its probably six blocks. Not bad. ch

Hi

We're staying at the International House. My 1st preference for the night we arrive (the late night) is oysters. I assume at least a few of these places have them?

Glad I got the wrong impression about Sunday nights--I got that from looking at Herbsaint and August (2 places I'd hoped to hit for dinner); both are closed (so I'll have to choose between them for Saturday night).

-- William Grimes

Well if its oysters, that makes it easy. If all you want to do is belly up to an oyster bar for a few dozen, head to Acme or Felix's. But if you really want a treat, go to 201, located at 201 Decatur, which is as much a bar as it is a restaurant. They are known for what they do with baked oysters. I was there about three weeks ago, late, and Mark, the maitre de, brought out an unsolicited tray of the best baked oyters I have ever had, absolutely put anything that Antoines does to shame. I have know idea what they were called, but apparently they do them a number of ways. The restaurant is open until midnight, but even if you get their later, I am sure they will get something going for you. If you don't see them on the menu, just ask them to make you some. They also serve them raw. Try the oysters en brochette also. By the way, the bar at the International House, Loa, is quite popular with the locals, and Lemon Grass serves excellent Asian food. Let me know if need any more bar/nightlife recommendations. ch

Edited by saturnbar (log)

Dude--you rock! 201 Decatur looks perfect! Thanks so much.

-- William Grimes

Nola serves pretty late. The Verti mart is always open ( I highly reccomend this for a sobering meal before stumbling home. The brussel sprouts in cheese sauce rock and it has one of the best baked macaronis in town (New Orleans version of Mac and Cheese). If you really want to go for it, get a Ruben. THey are piled high with good corned beef and have great dressing on them.

Have a great trip.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have had some great Sunday night meals at The Bistro Maison deVille.

The famous Patric is off that night so your on your own picking out wine, but the food is great.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

• 7 months later...

Any other ideas for Sunday night dining in New Orleans? I'll be down in mid July and I'm looking for a good Sunday night spot, which takes reservations, for a group of 6-8.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

.... already on my list are Elizabeth's, Herbsaint, Uglesich, and Frankie & Johnny's. 

It seems no one has already mentioned it, but Uglesich's has closed for the summer.

I highly recommend Galatoire's for sunday night if your plans aren't already set in stone. Mandina's is also a great choice as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Thanks for the suggestions and information. Please keep them coming.

Galatoire's was actually my first choice but they're booked solid that night :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 3 years later...

Hello!

I am working here for a month and will have Sundays off. I've been here for a couple of days but have yet to see any of the city. I haven't had time to do any research and besides a few recommendations I don't really know where to start!

My boyfriend will be visiting in a couple of weeks, but most of my dining will be alone.

I'm staying in Metairie, so I haven't even been into the city yet.

Any rec's would be appreciated since tomorrow's my first day off. I've read Daniel's trip report and would like to hit up some of those places.....from the sounds of it Sunday evenings aren't the best. Although, when my boyfriend's here I will be able to go out for a few dinners.

Thanks!!