• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steak Houses in Washington DC Area

fred4670

Hi,

I am in pursuit of dining at a nice steakhouse when my brother arrives in 2 weeks that I haven't dined at yet. So far, the Capital Grille is our favorite steak establishment, especially its dry-aged beef, and also enjoyed Smith and Wollensky's and the Palm. I had a terrible meal at Morton's, Sam and Harry's on 19th Street was decent, and Ruth's Chris steaks were just okay.

I keep on hearing about Ray's the Steaks and Charlie Palmer. Out of those 2 places, which one would you choose? My brother is really into high-end dining and planning to secure reservations at Maestro and Restaurant Eve too.

Thanks for any advice.

If you look around on this board at all, you will see that people are passionate about Ray's the Steaks. I haven't been, but am eager to go. If you are looking for a high-end experience, perhaps you should try Charlie Palmer, since I understand that RTS is not striking in its appearance. But, from lurking here, I also understand that you are unlikely to find a better steak than at RTS.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

You will have a very fine steak at CP's. I have eaten very well there.

It is quite hoity toity, and very expensive, however. It is definitely "high end" in the sense that you pay for the whole experience, not just the food. Very striking decor and high rent address.

I do recall thinking the price tab was little out of whack for the caliber of the food, however.

They have a tremendous wine list. Up near the top of DC.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

A feature of Charlie Palmers you should be aware of. They do not charge corkage if you bring in a bottle of wine that is made in the US. The trick is to head over to Schneiders before dinner and get a nice bottle of Napa Valley Cab and bring it to the restaurant.

edited to add: The Caucus Room is another place you should consider.

PS: What's the difference between a caucus and a cactus? Answer, on a cactus, the pricks are on the outside. (Paraphrasing "A Man In Full" by Thomas Wolfe).

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Thanks for everyone's input!  I will hit Ray's next week and will goto dinner with my brother at Charlie Palmer's, since he likes the fine dining experience.  Thanks again!

cool, please let us know what you think...of both

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.