• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feeling Schmaltzy

joey madison

That is one of my alltime favorite recipes, bloviatrix! Served with an oniony brisket! Amazing!

You actually get to eat yours with a meal? It never lasts that long when I make it. :shock: (actually, I've learned to make a double recipe)

Kasha Varniskes, with the onions caramelized in schmaltz is really good as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That is one of my alltime favorite recipes, bloviatrix! Served with an oniony brisket! Amazing!

You actually get to eat yours with a meal? It never lasts that long when I make it. :shock: (actually, I've learned to make a double recipe)

Kasha Varniskes, with the onions caramelized in schmaltz is really good as well.

Oh, Kasha made with schmaltz. Now you're talking.

I used some of mine to make hasbrown with a sunny side up egg for breakfast this morning.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I make big batches of chicken at a time and get lovely, small batches of both stock and schmaltz which I salvage and separate and either freeze for later use or use a bit of stock liquid (or gel after the batch of chicken has been refrigerated) with dressing in salads. Schmaltz is fabulous for frying liver as well, with a little wine.

I make big batches of chicken at a time and get lovely, small batches of both stock and schmaltz which I salvage and separate and either freeze for later use or use a bit of stock liquid (or gel after the batch of chicken has been refrigerated) with dressing in salads. Schmaltz is fabulous for frying liver as well, with a little wine.

edit to note I'm only in the habit of repeating myself when exasperated with husband or animals. I'm gonna let egullet explain its own peculiarities.

Edited by devlin (log)