• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Springs, VA

JennyUptown

I'm trying to help my boss find dining options in Hot Springs, VA. He'll be staying at The Homestead and obviously there are several on-property options, but are there other places worth checking out?

Come on. Help me maintain my status in his eyes (he calls me his Concierge, little does he know...).

I'm trying to help my boss find dining options in Hot Springs, VA.  He'll be staying at The Homestead and obviously there are several on-property options, but are there other places worth checking out?

Come on.  Help me maintain my status in his eyes (he calls me his Concierge, little does he know...).

My impressions of my last (and only) visit to the Homestead was like being either on the Titantic or the real version of the Shining. Or, "The Dining Room that time forgot."

My impression was that it was a one-horse town, without many options if any.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

My impression was that it was a one-horse town, without many options if any.

Years (I mean 10+) ago I attended a wedding in the Hot Springs area where the small reception was at a family style restaurant. It was a dry reception at a dry restaurant. It was hell.

Have not been back to West VA other than to ski at Canaan Valley. Hope things have changed but doubt it. Stick to the Homestead!!!

Edited by Pat MaToole (log)

If I remember correctly, your breakfast and dinner costs are included in the room rate. Your boss may want to consider that he has probably already paid for dinner before exploring outside options. From my one visit, I remember the doughnuts being wonderful at breakfast and the bar closing WAY too early in the evening.

I was just there in August and oh those doughnuts! Totally agree about the bar closing too early and the feeling of being in The Shining. Too funny, my whole family commented on that and then we overheard others saying the same. As for restaurant around there, perhaps suggest he ask someone that works there. The people in the Orvis store know a lot about the area.

There is a tavern just outside of the compound called Sam Sneads. Meals there are also included in the room rate. It's cozy. Lots of wood. Good steaks. Oh, and you can pay a few extra dollars and make a reservation in the Presidential Room. The food there is exceedingly better than The Shining-like dining room.