• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

green wheat

I have some frikah that one of my favorite local farmers did in the spring. I've been hoarding it, but realized it needs to get eaten up before our move. I also have a chunk of boneless lamb shoulder.

I'm having trouble deciding what to make. On the one hand, I could make soup with these two things (although when I made it before it was with the cracked kind, these are whole grains) or I could cook the frikah and shoulder serparately and then serve them together. I found some very tasty looking but labor-intensive recipes in Med. Greens and Grains, but I don't have that much time to spend on the prep right now. Any ideas?

regards,

trillium

My suggestion would be to make a stew with the lamb shoulder and cook the Frikah seperatly, like a pilaf, using broth instead of water for more flavor. I'll hopefully have more suggestions when I get home and review one of my books.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I second the frikah pilaf idea. There are more recipes out there for bulgur pilafs but most of them are adaptable for frikah ... some butter, rasins/currants, slivered almonds and/or pistachios. Won't take more than half an hour to prepare.

rien

I second the frikah pilaf idea. There are more recipes out there for bulgur pilafs but most of them are adaptable for frikah ... some butter, rasins/currants, slivered almonds and/or pistachios. Won't take more than half an hour to prepare.

rien

Here's what I did. Rubbed the roast with a little ground up corriander, cardamon, allspice and plenty of salt, cayenne and pepper. Washed the frikah and soaked it a bit to losen the chaff. Cooked it until tender in salted water. Roasted the lamb (along side the duck leg and tarbais bean braise, but that's a different thread) low and slow, and then drained the frikah and tossed it into the roasting pan to deglaze it and soak up the roasting "juices" (mostly spice infused lamb fat) and let the roast rest on top of it until it reached room temp. It is very, very tasty, and waiting in the fridge for a mid-week supper. It really didn't need broth, it has a very forward, flavorful smoked wheat taste, and a nice chewy texture. Thanks for all the ideas.

regards,

trillium