• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick-Raleigh Restaurant Res.

ditsydine

A friend is coming to visit me her in Raleigh from San Jose. She has told me, dispite my arguing, that she wants to treat me to a nice meal at a "nice" restaurant as right now I have champage taste and a beer budget.

Normally my first instinct would to go shelp to Durham to go to Nana's (my fave), but I want to stay in Raleigh.

My first choice was Vin, but then someone else suggested Bistro 607 (did I get the number wrong), but then I thought of a friend's ex who cooked there and who was the worst cook ever (at home at least) and then I thought about Bloomsberry Bistro. Note it would be on a Friday or Sat night and I am low-carbing it. Any thoughts? My friend is not a big foodie, but she always eats at cool places in SF.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Bistro 607 is a fine choice, and the chef is Heath Holloman, who is a hell of a good cook and a friend (thus, I'm biased). However, I think Bistro 607 is a half step below the other restaurants you mentioned. Vin could easily accomodate a low carb diet, as Ashley Christensen loves a good challenge. John Toler of BB is also a great chef, but his menu is all over the place, and I've found it difficult to get a 3-course meal that works.

If you like Nana's so much, you may want to try Nana's Chophouse in downtown Raleigh, which is also owned by Scott Howell. It's surprisingly good, they cater to the protein-philic, but their sides are also good. It's a very lively crowd, too, and a non-foodie would be comfortable there.

Finally, you should consider Fins off of Lead Mine Rd. in North Raleigh. Calling it "fusion" cuisine is a disservice, because this is creative American cuisine. William D'Auvray is an extremely talented chef, and the flavors he produces are top-notch.

Let us now where you end up going with a full report!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Second Empire is still around, and it's still a fine establishment in a beautiful house. However, even though Daniel Schurr's food is very good, it just seems to fall short of meeting my expectations. Personally, I'd prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I agree with Varmint. Heading to Fins tonight myself....will give you and update. I agree, if your friends is not a foodie, Nana's Chophouse would be a great choice. Very hip and happenin' and likely to have some decent music.