• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Eggs

itch22

Back on topic, I was once told that men should be careful and not eat hard boiled eggs that weren't freshly made that day. (In case you were wondering, no, it doesn't apply to me so I have no answer for you as to whether this is true or not! =) )

Apparently, eating "leftover" hard boiled eggs affects their manhood. Perhaps it's because the egg's a similar shape to certain organs? Anyways, I always thought it was interesting. I mean, what did they do with stuff like nasi lemak (served with hard boiled eggs) or the tea eggs you couldn't finish in one day?

Back on topic, I was once told that men should be careful and not eat hard boiled eggs that weren't freshly made that day.  (In case you were wondering, no, it doesn't apply to me so I have no answer for you as to whether this is true or not!  =) )

Apparently, eating "leftover" hard boiled eggs affects their manhood.  Perhaps it's because the egg's a similar shape to certain organs?  Anyways, I always thought it was interesting.  I mean, what did they do with stuff like nasi lemak (served with hard boiled eggs) or the tea eggs you couldn't finish in one day?

Oh wow, I just remembered this. My parents and especially grandparents wouldn't allow me to eat any eggs left overnight. I always would ask them why, and they would yell at me and say "No!" I always snuck them anyway - especially the dan tat my grandfather brought home. I wonder... Is that why people call me "girly?" :shock:

Edited by Transparent (log)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is not exactly a tea egg, but my beet eggs are inspired by the Chinese tea eggs, so I hope you don't mind me posting here :rolleyes:

I made pickled red beet eggs last year for Easter, which were delicious and which I planned to make again this year. Few months ago, however, when reading about Chinese tea eggs somewhere again, I got an idea I wanted to try out. So instead of making pickled beet eggs, I made marbled beet eggs a la Chinese tea eggs. After hard-boiling the eggs I simply tapped them gently to break the shell, then immersed into salted beet juice for an hour. After peeling I had these lovely marbled beet eggs which tasted like 'normal' boiled eggs with just a hint of beetroot:

gallery_43137_2974_59886.jpg

Big stock pot, five or six dried chilis, a half handful of hua jiao, some white pepper, a few stars of anise, a lot of dark soy sauce, a stick of cassia, a few cardamom pods, big pinch of cheap green tea. They start boiling at around 6 am, then go out on tin plates when people come in for lunch.

For anyone looking to rush, don't. My own experience suggests that simmering tea eggs for an hour is enough to develop color, but the flavor is bland.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large