• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie Chefs' Cookbooks

I also been reading the charcuterie chapter, with all the rillettes, liver parfait, sausages, terrine, it is making my mouth water, might attampt one of the recipes  or I will head down to Le Parisienne soon.

It's inspiring reading, isn't it?

I'm really looking forward to the Ruhlman book that Tim White posted about earlier.

I don't know whether it would be easy to organise, but I reckon we should all spend a weekend preparing some charcuterie and then the following weekend, get together and taste the results.

Haven't seen Greg & Lucy Maloufs' new book around ,  is it out  yet ?

It certainly is. I've seen it at R**d*ngs and the Hill of Content with a RRP of $69.95. The book is stunning.

Edited by Shinboners (log)
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Went to the launch of SAHA last night - the food is pretty damn good! This will be a landmark in Melbourne food publishing as the publishers announced that they will be focusing on becoming a leading wine & food publisher - which means forthcomings like:

* The Botanical

* Becasse

* The Lake House

* maybe something from Andrew McConnell in the new year

all with stunning design using SAHA as a benchmark

Shinboners - I'm glad you liked Zuni - the roast chook is one of our favs. Also worthwhile is the beef & polenta

From French we've been cooking the chevre & herb tart & the Widow's Kiss meringues. The pastry in the tart is pretty special. One of our staff can also recommend Eve's chocolate cake

On the charcuterie front - we just got our advance copy of the final book - the book will release the first week of December - it is fantastic - Mr Ruhlman has penned another classic. No pictures but lots of line drawings - metric measures included - and a very good price - $49.95 Highly recommended

If the charcuterie/sausage event comes about - let us know!

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

new & old books about wine, food & the culinary arts bought & sold

What is an SAHA? Where can I get one? It is cool?

Like, are they a publisher? Is that a book?

I'm so confused.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I'm so confused.

Sorry - Greg Malouf's new book is called SAHA: a chef's journey through Lebanon & Syria" $69.95 available most good bookshops this month.

Yes it is cool.....and no, you probably just need a Friday night drink

:raz:

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

I'm so confused.

My dear PCL where have you been ? :huh:

SAHA ( focus on Syrian & Lebanonese cooking, am I right ?)by Greg and Lucy Malouf, you can get one at most bookshops, I am not even going to name some of them. yes it looks so cool it is HOT. NO, they are not a publisher, yes, it is a book.

Tim, I've been hanging out for Ruhlman's book, what is it like, say compare to Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery ?

[

Tim, I've been hanging out for Ruhlman's book, what is it like, say compare to Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery ?

www.booksforcooks.com.au

There is a huge thread running in the Media Forum on Charcuterie.

Click here for the thread.

There is also another thread about cookbooks published in 2005, click here.

oh and you might want to check out Glenn McGrath (yes Oh Ah!') "Cooking with the Master" out in November - makes Moby look like a gourmand

At a certain bookshop that I frequent on a regular basis, I saw a copy of the McGrath cookbook. I'd love to know how much MasterFoods is paying him because nearly every recipe needs some MasterFood herb, spice, or marinade. I suppose the book should have been titled, "Cooking with the MasterFood". It's hilarious when you read on the ingredients list, "1 teaspoon of MasterFoods crushed garlic".....what's wrong with using the fresh stuff? Anyway, I'd go and poke more fun at his book, but this is just too easy a target.

Anyway, maybe I've just missed the whole point, and the McGrath cookbook is a brilliant satire. IT's a subtle p*sstake, doing to cookbooks what H G Nelson's did to the Good Food Guides with "Really Stuffed Guide To Good Food".

Edited by Shinboners (log)

oh and you might want to check out Glenn McGrath (yes Oh Ah!') "Cooking with the Master" out in November - makes Moby look like a gourmand

At a certain bookshop that I frequent on a regular basis

Which bookshop ? I was at Re----gs in Carlton this morning, I didn't see it there.

I am waiting for Ruhlman's new book. any time now..........

Thankyou one and all for your sensitivity!!!!

Glenn is on a very good wicket I suspect!

As for Masterfoods - recently Franz Scheuer at Australian Gourmet Pages (check it out on the web) posed the question what was the major ingredient in Masterfoods Sichuan Pepper - check out the ingredient list on their website!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

www.booksforcooks.com.au

Thankyou one and all for your sensitivity!!!!

Glenn is on a very good wicket I suspect!

As for Masterfoods - recently Franz Scheuer at Australian Gourmet Pages (check it out on the web) posed the question what was the major ingredient in Masterfoods Sichuan Pepper - check out the ingredient list on their website!

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

hey Tim, when is Ruhlman's book going to be on your shelf ? I am checking the Australian gourmet pages now, I passed a big bookshop in the city this morning, I had a quick look at Glenn's BBQ book, Shin wasn't kidding about the Masterfoods thing, there is no sweet section, would love to see how he is going to use masterfoods to flavour bbq bananas :biggrin: and icecream with masterfoods toppings. :raz: Do you think we are going to see the Glenn McGrath's Gourmet Masterfoods range of herbs and spices to hit the shelf before x'mas.

I passed a big bookshop in the city this morning, I had a quick look at  Glenn's BBQ book, Shin wasn't kidding about the Masterfoods thing, there is no sweet section, would love  to see how he is going to use masterfoods to flavour bbq bananas 

I couldn't resist another look at the book. This time, I skim read the intros. McGrath does a little spiel on herbs and spices, and he makes a note that you "could use the pre-mixed MasterFoods marinades or make them yourself by mixing up your own herbs and spices........from the MasterFoods range".

Doesn't this guy have any shame?

I found the site, but I couldn't find the article/ingredients list.

And I'm not really sure that I really want to know.

There is another way... the Big W way... I always get nauseaus there, so I find the confectionary section very appealing....

Tim, dude, what's-a-happenin' on the online store front??

Hi Tim , I read somewhere about The Bush Family Cookbook, do you stock it ? Apparently it is a shocker, I read somewhere in here but I lost the thread. It was written by the family cook (ex navy cook, not that there is anything wrong with that).

Still waiting on the the Ruhlman's , waiting , waiting, waiting,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Just browsing for something else on Amazon and I came across a cookbook "list" that an Amazon user has compiled with most of the books coming from Australia and New Zealand. The list has about 25 cookbooks on it with short explanatory comments and perhaps is worth checking out: clcik

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...

I caught a couple of episodes of the new Kylie Kwong TV series on the Lifestyle Channel. She's just going around China, poking her nose here and there, talking about the local food and doing some cooking. I didn't like her first TV series, but this one is much better - they've cut out many of those soft focus shots where she gazes into the mid-distance.

So, it's probably fair to say that with a new TV series (and having Bill Granger and Neil Perry as two of her mentors), there's probably going to be a cookbook to go along with this series. I thought her first two cookbooks were excellent, so hopefuly if there's a third, it'll be of the same standard, but cover the Chinese food that she has enjoyed in China.

I caught a couple of episodes of the new Kylie Kwong TV series on the Lifestyle Channel.  She's just going around China, poking her nose here and there, talking about the local food and doing some cooking.  .....  I thought her first two cookbooks were excellent, so hopefuly if there's a third, it'll be of the same standard, but cover the Chinese food that she has enjoyed in China.

There definitely is....Simple Chinese Cooking $59.95 due for release 6/3/06 hardcover 320pp published by Penguin/Viking/Lantern

more detailshttp://www.penguin.com.au/default.cfm?SBN=1920989331

www.booksforcooks.com.au

Thanks for that info Tim.

I do have to say that after reading that excerpt from the Penguin website, I can't say that I'm too excited about the book - simple Chinese food from everyday things you can get from the supermarket? It sounds like it'll be a Chinese version of the Bill Granger books.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep going back to Bill Granger, but I've been wanting to buy one of his cookbooks for some time now, but am not too sure which one to start with. I know this was asked a few times in this thread, but didn't really see an answer. Sydney Food keeps being mentioned.

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."