• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie Chefs' Cookbooks

Years ago, I could buy a magazine devoted to wedding cakes called Bride to Be (a different magazine entirely from Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates) from a source here in the US. Since the cake decorating supplier retired last year, I've been unable to find another seller for this magazine.

Can anyone recommend a local bookstore that carries this title, be willing to deal with an internet order and ship to the US? I can buy Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates directly from the publisher (Wildfire) but I cannot locate the publisher for the Bride to Be Wedding Cakes. Maybe in more recent editions the publisher prints email/web URL but in the few issues I have, there's nothing of the sort!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks! Jeanne

as for the comments about Matthem Hayden's new book.  I scoffed at it when i first saw it.  Just another rip off book.  But then when you flip thru it, it would appear he is a bit of a foodie and whenever he travels he maximizes his experiences around food.  (lucky bugger!)  Like someone else said, if it gets someone into the kitchen.....

I've flipped through it too and it appears to be a very well written cookbook. Of course, you never really know how well written a recipe is until you try it, but from my reading, the list of ingredients and instructions seem to be very thorough. I think many of the recipes wouldn't be out of place in a Jill Dupleix or Bill Granger cookbook.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

i concur with your comments. i have no idea how good the recipes are. and indeed, they are in the same vein as many of the other fashionable cookbooks available today.

in this case, he adds his spin of travel tales and the sporting angle. so he is just as credible putting out a cookbook as many of the others out there imo.

times are a changin eh.... cricketers publishing cookbooks....

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

in this case, he adds his spin of travel tales and the sporting angle.  so he is just as credible putting out a cookbook as many of the others out there imo.

times are a changin eh....  cricketers publishing cookbooks....

The Australian Institute of Sport also puts out cookbooks.

As a side note, by far the worst cookbook that I've seen is one called "Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine". There was a copy in Readings Hawthorn and it's one of those vegan cookbooks. On the back, where all the mini reviews are, the recommendations come from scientists rather than other cooks. There's a big section that argues (with some very dodgy science) against eating meat, all cooked foods, and certain other vegetables. The author talks about the "spiritual journey" and promises that this cookbook will cure all sorts of ills.

Then there are the recipes. It seems that all you need is a dehydrator and a food processor. Soups are nothing more than a selection of ingredients, chopped up in a food processor and then mixed in with water. Come to think of it, that seems to apply to most of the recipes in the book. They have names like "cheeze" and "mylk" for their cheese and milk substitutes, and they have repeated comments like, "This is very tasty", and it just makes me wonder, what's the use of a long life if you can't enjoy what you eat?

The Australian Institute of Sport also puts out cookbooks.

yes that is true. i have seen those books. thought it was a good idea at the time, as they first came out awhile back (before any of the donna hay/ maire claire et al). i thought they were valid for new cooks looking for quick easy recipes. not too mention they were healthy.

funny comments about the other cookbook! LOL i guess we have to remember people do pick up cookbooks for many reasons. it sounds like that one was written for theoritical dogma as opposed to advancing the cuisine!? And more to the point, many readers do not know how to cook, and pick books up like text books.

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

funny comments about the other cookbook!  LOL  i guess we have to remember people do pick up cookbooks for many reasons.  it sounds like that one was written for theoritical dogma as opposed to advancing the cuisine!?  And more to the point, many readers do not know how to cook, and pick books up like text books.

I went through a few years where it seemed that I had too many friends who were vegans, and many of them were trying to convince me to give up meat and dairy. So, I was lent quite a few vegan cookbooks, and having skim read them, they are full of ideology. I had many arguments with the more fanatical vegans and lost a few friends.

Read any cookbook (of the non-vegan variety), and inevitably, there will be information on selecting ingredients and how to treat them to get the best out of them. As Anthony Bourdain pointed out, Fergus Henderson shows more respect to the vegetables he's cooking than the vegans who held a dinner party for him. I figure that if a writer can't give basic advice on how to pick and treat their ingredients, then having the love of and getting the best out of food isn't the first issue on their mind.

Edited by Shinboners (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeanne! Sorry, I just saw this thread. I'm in the same spot as you. I used to buy Bride to Be Wedding Cakes and Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates every year from Sugar Bouquets before she closed. I really miss her amazing products and there are many molds and lace presses that I wish I had-sigh.

You can buy Bride to Be Wedding Cakes from www.earlenescakes.com. Go to her online store and look under books. She has the most recent issue which I believe is Volume #8.

Can you please share the contact information on ordering the Modern Wedding Cakes and Chocolates? Thanks.

Also anything new and notable cookbooks published recently?

I remember reading an article by Tim White in Tomato where he said that 80% of cookbooks are released in the time leading up to Christmas. So on that, I'm not expecting anything new anytime soon.

If anything, I'm going to look for some older cookbooks and food writing - Julia Child, MFK Fisher, and the like. And I'm going to see if I can track down a copy of the Est Est Est cookbook too.

And i picked mine up on a bargain sale table for $20. but i think that had more to do with the business going out of business.

picked up about 4 current release cookbooks for under $100 that day!! :biggrin:

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

And i picked mine up on a bargain sale table for $20. 

I have managed to track down a copy, but the guy selling it wants $90 for it (not his fault - something about having to get it from overseas).

I think I'll keep looking through the 2nd hand book shops.

I have managed to track down a copy, but the guy selling it wants $90 for it (not his fault - something about having to get it from overseas).

Good luck - we have along wait list and haven't seen one for months. The book was remaindered about 2 years ago and since then has become a chef's must have book. We've tried all sorts of avenues without success - the $90 bit seems a bit rich though - our price would be around $50-$60 if new

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

new & old books about wine, food & the culinary arts bought & sold

i am not too sure if this help, I borrowed a copy at the Yarra Melb.Regional Library, Nth. Fitzroy branch, I think ? I Know it is not the same as to own your own copy. but if you are willing to settle for the next best thing. It is a lovely book, full of interesting mix of flavours and most of the recipes require fair amount of time and skill.good luck in finding.

While I am here I might as well put in my favourite aussie cookbooks, right on top of my list is Charmaine Solomon's The complete Asian cookbook, Arabesque by The Moulouf, Maggie's Orchard & Maggie's Farm (not really recipe books though both contain a few recipes but more food journals) both by Maggie Beer. Bloody Delicious (a gastro trip down memory lane) by Joan Campbell , Tess Mallos's The complete Middle East Cookbook, Thai Food by David Thomson , is he still considered an Aussie ? what the hell, it is still a fantastic book, Oh , on that same note Noodle by Terry Durack, The bayswater Brasserie, Book of food by Tony Papas and Hamish Keith. I am not too sure if I should put this last one in, it is written by 2 New Zealanders Dean Brettschneider and Lauraine Jacobs, the book is Baker, and also comes from NZ the best food magazine Cusine, also with the most eyecatching covers.

Another aussie favorite - Ian Hemphill. I have his Spice and Herb Bible - excellent reference book.

What do you think of Spicery and Herbaceous? Does one need them if already owning his bible?

Yes and No. The main difference between them is that Spice Notes is a reference with very few illustrations and very few recipes. Herbaceous & Spicery are recipe books with reference material & illustrations

The selection of recipes is unusual and interesting. We've cooked a few things out of each and they all worked

So - yes if you want some recipes, no if you want more reference material.

If you want more reference info - I'd suggest Jill Norman's Herb & Spice published by DK - full colour, lots of useful info (culinary, scientific, gardening etc) together with spice rubs, blends, etc at the back

Regards

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

new & old books about wine, food & the culinary arts bought & sold

If you want more reference info - I'd suggest Jill Norman's Herb & Spice published by DK - full colour, lots of useful info (culinary, scientific, gardening etc) together with spice rubs, blends, etc at the back

I use Jill Norman's book more than Hemphill's book. Whilst Hemphill's book is superb for its writing and background information on herbs and spices, Normans' book is superior in that it has full colour photographs of the herbs and spices, and in the various versions in which they can be found - it's very useful when trying to find a new herb that you've never used before (especially ones at Asian supermarkets where the fresh herbs are almost always not labelled).

• 3 weeks later...

I went into Readings today and there are two re-releases. Christine Manfield's "Spice" is now out on paperback and Luke Mangan has combined "BLT" and "Luke Mangan Food" into one paperback edition. The prices are $50 and $35 respectively.

• 1 month later...

New Neil Perry Cookbook

It's called "The Food I Love - Beautiful, Simple Food To Cook At Home". It's published by Murdoch in hardback, has 440 pages, around 200 recipes and lot's of pretty pictures. It's a really beautifully presented book. Readings have it in stock for $69.95, although I think the RRP is actually $85.

The book is in several sections; introduction, light breakfast, eggs, sandwiches, salads, soup, pasta and rice, seafood, meat and poultry, accompaniments, sauces and more, and desserts.

Each section opens with a couple of pages of personal observations of the food that the section is about. If you have "Rockpool" or "Simply Asian", you'll know what his writing style is like. If you don't, then I would describe it as very breezy and conversational. When he writes about a particular cooking technique, he'll slip in a few useful tips and hints. You may have read them all before, but if you're like me, getting a reminder isn't such a bad thing. He uses very little jargon. Then it's onto the recipes, and each one has more personal observations, followed by a list of ingredients, the method, and (I really do love this), variations on the recipe. There's probably not many recipes in this book that you wouldn't find in any other book, so on that score, you could easily live without it. But Perry's thoughts are always worth reading, and there is always value in that.

Shinboners, as usual, thanks for the info! I found a few of the recipes form this cookbook on his website here. I'm hungry now!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

• 1 month later...

I bought a copy of this book last week - the UK edition launched yesterday I think.

I really like it - very pretty, some great recipes, photographs, etc, but I could not help but cringe reading the intro. The constant tributes to Quantus seem unneccessary. Aeroplane food is always going to be limited - perhaps that is what he is getting at. The home cook essentailly has to compromise and innovate due to restriction in the access to ingredients, etc, in the same way that you do when contending with feeding a plane full of passengers. But it just sounded a bit daft and contrived.