• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie Chefs' Cookbooks

ON the more laughable side, Jane Kennedy has released "Jane's Kitchen". Kennedy isn't a chef, either professionally or on TV. She's not a food writer, journalist, or blogger. IN fact, her main claim to fame is to have been a TV personality about 15 years ago and popping out 5 kids. For some reason, she thinks the world wants to know what she cooks.

The sad thing is, she'll probably sell more copies of that than many chefs will sell of their books.

While she'll probably do the TV talk show, talkback radio, and womens magazine circuit, I reckon we'll see her book in the $5 bargain bins soon after the 2010 January sales finish.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Food Safari cookbook by Maeve O'Mara out, and I saw the new one from Frank Camorra from Mo Vida called "Rustica" and both look very good. Ordinarily I'd buy "Rustica", but I've already got the Moro cookbooks.

I would put the two MoVida cookbooks together as above Moro (Moro is more a Spanish-Moroccan Moorish inspired type, while MoVida is definitely Spanish) as far as teaching you Spanish cooking, but IMHO they are not really better than Penelope Casas or Janet Mendel's numerous works. Should still be good materials on a par with America's Jose Andres though.

The sad thing is, she'll probably sell more copies of that than many chefs will sell of their books.

Speaking of other people who really shouldn't be releasing cookbooks, former Australian cricketer, Matthew Hayden, has re-released his two cookbooks as one volume. Also, former actor and singer, and now TV show host, Paul Mecurio, has also released a cookbook.

Although to be fair to these two blokes, they do love their cooking - so I suppose if it gets people into the kitchen, it may not be such a bad thing.

In Myer last night I saw Thai Street Food for $69.95 and Movida Rustica for $44.95. I imagine they're the same price at other Myers.

Here in Melbourne, you can get MoVida Rustica for $39 at Target.

• 2 weeks later...

Lori Horton, who owns Mexicali Rose in Richmond, has released a book. I saw a copy at The Hill Of Content, and it costs $30. Fans of Mexican food might find it interesting to read Mexican recipes done in an Australian context.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Robert Oliver has published a new cookbook Me’a Kai:

The Food and Flavours of the South Pacific covering a topic rarely discussed - the cuisines of South Pacific Island nations. 6 countries are selected: Tonga, Fiji, Tahiti, Samoa, Vanuatu and the Cook Islands. The cuisines are very much in the Madhur Jaffrey vein which is what people actually eat at their homes and entertain guests, rather than tourist fares you see in resort hotel buffets.

The cost is NZ$75.00, which is probably one of the most expensive NZ cookbooks I have ever seen (The French Cafe by Simon Wright tops it at NZ$110.00), but it is valuable, and I believe it will only be a matter of time before it is also available in Australia, the US and Britain because this subject has been very poorly covered in English.

As a tip if you are looking to buy a cookbook, check out booko.

It is an Australian based website that checks the prices of a book across many on-line bookstores and lets you choose the cheapest, including postage, all in Australian dollars.

You can buy twice or three times as many cookbooks this way. :biggrin:

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

It will be interesting to see the South Pacific cookbook johung mentioned. There is really nothing out there on the topic. Fingers crossed for a slightly less expensive edition...

Booko is the awesomest ever. Yes, that's right, it's fantastic enough to make me mangle the english language. It and Book Depository are responsible for the current bookshelf space crisis in my house.