• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie Chefs' Cookbooks

• 2 weeks later...
The Botanical cookbook is now out.  It's one of those lush creations like the "Saha" and "Lake House" cookbooks, and it costs $85.00

It's not just lush, it's very serious cooking! I was reading through it on the weekend and it's an impressive volume. I've posted a mini-review on my site.

Paul Wilson (the chef/author) will be talking at Books for Cooks in Melbourne this Thursday evening (9th Aug) so give them a call if you want to reserve a spot.

Edited by lamington (log)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

The Botanical cookbook is now out.  It's one of those lush creations like the "Saha" and "Lake House" cookbooks, and it costs $85.00

It's not just lush, it's very serious cooking! I was reading through it on the weekend and it's an impressive volume. I've posted a mini-review on my site.

Yeah, it is a very impressive volume.

But for some reason, it didn't excite me as much as Saha or the Lake House books. I'll be giving the Botanical cookbook a miss, but I'm sure that those who buy it will love it.

Another cookbook that has been released is "The Pig, The Olive, and the Squid: Food And Wine From Humble Beginnings" by Greg Powell. I don't know who he is, but it seems from my casual flick through the book, it appears that Murdoch books is trying to develop Australia's answer to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Another cookbook that has been released is "The Pig, The Olive, and the Squid:  Food And Wine From Humble Beginnings" by Greg Powell.  I don't know who he is, but it seems from my casual flick through the book, it appears that Murdoch books is trying to develop Australia's answer to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Greg Duncan-Powell is a well respected wine writer and also an editor at Vogue E+T. I'm not sure that i see the Fearnley-Whittingstall parallel (apart from the double-barrelled surname :raz: ), but haven't had a good look at this new volume.

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Greg Duncan-Powell is a well respected wine writer and also an editor at Vogue E+T. I'm not sure that i see the Fearnley-Whittingstall parallel (apart from the double-barrelled surname :raz: ), but haven't had a good look at this new volume.

I think it was the photos of Powell working around a ramshackle cottage, and recipes and photography that wouldn't be out of place in one of H F-W's books that brought the comparison to my mind.

Still, I wonder if he wanders into the Vogue offices dressed as he does on the front cover of the book. :biggrin:

I think it was the photos of Powell working around a ramshackle cottage, and recipes and photography that wouldn't be out of place in one of H F-W's books that brought the comparison to my mind.

Still, I wonder if he wanders into the Vogue offices dressed as he does on the front cover of the book. :biggrin:

I've just done a review of the book on my website. There are about 60 recipes in the book. Probably could have done with a tighter layout and a few more recipes. However, the recipes that are there are pretty uncomplicated and don't have great long off-putting lists of ingredients. Good rustic fare.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

• 1 month later...

Ok huge problem (for me) guys!

I've had the Kylie Kwong: Heart & Soul cookbook for awhile but can't even get a start on cooking some of the dishes simply because I have NO idea what she means by "1 quantity"! What does that amount to? What IS 'quantity' (in terms of measurements)?!

She uses the term in several recipes, for eg the 'red-braised beef chuck with chinese marbled eggs' (which I'm dying to try btw).

I urgently need help! :sad:

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Ok huge problem (for me) guys!

I've had the Kylie Kwong: Heart & Soul cookbook for awhile but can't even get a start on cooking some of the dishes simply because I have NO idea what she means by "1 quantity"! What does that amount to? What IS 'quantity' (in terms of measurements)?!

She uses the term in several recipes, for eg the 'red-braised beef chuck with chinese marbled eggs' (which I'm dying to try btw).

I urgently need help!  :sad:

I don't have the cookbook in front of me right now, but for instance, if the book says, "1 quantity of red braising sauce", go to the back of the cookbook where you'll find a recipe for the red marinating sauce. If you follow that recipe and make it up, then you'll have "1 quantity" of that item.

Kylie Kwong's new cookbook is out. It's called "My China - A Feast For All The Senses". It's a hardback, costs $70, and it looks like she's written about her travels around China with recipes from each region.

Continuing on the Asian theme, Pauline Nguyen, Luke Nguyen, and Mark Jensen have released "Secrets of the Red Lantern - Stories and Recipes from the Heart". IT's $60 and it's a beautiful book. Lot's of personal photography, writing, and Vietnamese recipes.

There's also "Lighten Up" by Jill Dupleix at $40. It follows the same style as her other cookbooks with quick and simple recipes.

Edited by Shinboners (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't yet had a chance to look at the new Kylie Kwong and Jill Dupleix volumes, but the Pauline Nguyen title Secrets of the Red Lantern didn't live up to expectations, I felt.

Kylie Kwong's new cookbook is out.  It's called "My China - A Feast For All The Senses".  It's a hardback, costs $70, and it looks like she's written about her travels around China with recipes from each region.

Continuing on the Asian theme, Pauline Nguyen, Luke Nguyen, and Mark Jensen have released "Secrets of the Red Lantern - Stories and Recipes from the Heart".  IT's $60 and it's a beautiful book.  Lot's of personal photography, writing, and Vietnamese recipes.

There's also "Lighten Up" by Jill Dupleix at $40.  It follows the same style as her other cookbooks with quick and simple recipes.

Oo thanks for mentioning all of this! I'm interested in the new Kylie Kwong cookbook myself! Have you gotten to take a peek inside it yet? If yes, please do inform me of the recipes and whatnot :)

Btw, thanks heaps for your help above! I missed it somehow sorry lol.

I haven't yet had a chance to look at the new Kylie Kwong and Jill Dupleix volumes, but the Pauline Nguyen title Secrets of the Red Lantern didn't live up to expectations, I felt.

Please do elaborate as I'm kinda interested in this book atm too (due to Shinboners mention above) :raz:

Did you find that the recipes were ordinary and mainstream and pretty much just like any other Vietnamese book? Or was it more like a modern and/or fusion take on Vietnamese food?

Please do elaborate as I'm kinda interested in this book atm too (due to Shinboners mention above)  :raz:

Did you find that the recipes were ordinary and mainstream and pretty much just like any other Vietnamese book? Or was it more like a modern and/or fusion take on Vietnamese food?

Hi Ce'nedra. There's nothing wrong with the food as far as I can see (recipes seem interesting and the modern touch is also positive) -- my reservations are to do with quality of the narrative and the generally very poor editing of the book. I've written more about it here. If your interest is in the food, then the book seems to be a good choice.

I am eagerly waiting for Frank Camorra's MoVida to come out, for years I wish he would, and now  I am glad that he finally written a book on spanish cuisine, anyone knows the release date for this book ?

MoVida, by Frank Camorra and Richard Cornish, is due out in November. A$45

Simone Ortega's 1080 Recipes , any info of when this one will be on the shelf ? :wink:

You're straining my memory now. Sometime in the next two weeks I think!

Please do elaborate as I'm kinda interested in this book atm too (due to Shinboners mention above)  :raz:

Hi Ce'nedra. There's nothing wrong with the food as far as I can see (recipes seem interesting and the modern touch is also positive) -- my reservations are to do with quality of the narrative and the generally very poor editing of the book. I've written more about it here. If your interest is in the food, then the book seems to be a good choice.

Ooo thanks for writing up on it -shall check it out now :biggrin:

I'm interested in recipes obviously, but I prefer cookbooks that provide further background/history/whatever on the various dishes and so on. Hmm...

Christmas must be just around the corner with all the new cookbooks appearing in the books. Just sticking to the Australian titles, here's two more:

"Cheese Slices" by Will Studd. It looks like a very comprehensive book about cheese covering everything from the milk used to the final product. About $80 iirc.

"French Lessons" by Justin North. It appears to be a very good beginners book for those who want to learn about French cooking. $60.

• 2 weeks later...
"Cheese Slices" by Will Studd.  It looks like a very comprehensive book about cheese covering everything from the milk used to the final product.  About $80 iirc.

"French Lessons" by Justin North.  It appears to be a very good beginners book for those who want to learn about French cooking.  $60.

Both of these are great! "Cheese Slices" incorporates the great stuff from Studd's older work "Chalk and Cheese" and adds more - it looks like a great read and resource.

Justin North's "French Lessons" is accessible but serious very modern cooking. An impressive volume.

I am eagerly waiting for Frank Camorra's MoVida to come out, for years I wish he would, and now  I am glad that he finally written a book on spanish cuisine, anyone knows the release date for this book ?

MoVida, by Frank Camorra and Richard Cornish, is due out in November. A$45

Bought this yesterday at Borders :) Completely on impulse as I was there for something else and hadn't expected to see it. It's a very pretty book, but I haven't had a proper read yet. A little flimsy-seeming; shall see how it holds up. Ironically for a cooking book, it doesn't smell very nice. But I daresay that will fade with time.

Edited by Amarantha (log)
There Will Be Bloody Marys

Bought this yesterday at Borders :)  Completely on impulse as I was there for something else and hadn't expected to see it.  It's a very pretty book, but I haven't had a proper read yet.  A little flimsy-seeming; shall see how it holds up.  Ironically for a cooking book, it doesn't smell very nice.  But I daresay that will fade with time.

Yeah, I saw the MoVida book at Readings (and as Lamington posted, it's $45). And as you've posted, the book itself feels quite flimsy and there's this very earthy smell to the paper (oddly, I kind of like the smell :shock: ).

Other new books released are

"Holiday" by Bill Granger ($50). It's the usual stuff, lot's of quick and easy recipes, and as Lethlean pointed out in his column in Epicure, plenty of pictures of Bill Granger. :biggrin:

Of more interest is Maggie Beer's new book. It's called "Maggie's Harvest" and it's a 600 page monster and it'll set you back $100. Curiously, each copy was wapped in brown paper at Readings. Anyway, the book is divided into seasons, and then further divided into ingredients appropriate to each season. She writes about her farm, the ingredient, and then gives some recipes.

Personally I think it is a pretty reasonable guide. I really think the AGT guide is just limited by its size in terms of the fairly small number of restaurants that are in the guide. I think you can comfortably consult your AGTs in conjuction with other sources. FYI, The Sydney Morning Herald publishes two guides - The Good Food Guide and Sydney Eats (more focused on 'Cheap Eats').

Ahem! Sydney Eats is NOT published by The Sydney Morning Herald. Yes, they do the Good Food Guide but Sydney Eats, which I edit, is published by Universal Mags. Sorry, I know that probably doesn't matter to readers but I thought it should be clarified. Anyhoo... I'd really recommend Sydney Eats [well I would, wouldn't I] but given your interest in good, simple, non-sceney places it really would be a good fit. We go to all those hole in the wall really good ethnic joints in the burbs as well as to about 80 Flash places if you feel like splurging.

Of more interest is Maggie Beer's new book.  It's called "Maggie's Harvest" and it's a 600 page monster and it'll set you back $100. 

The RRP is $125. It's $100 at Readings, and $85 at Borders.

Greg Doyle has released "Pier" which has recipes from his seafood restaurant. It's a very glossy preduction like the Botanical/Lake House etc. cookbooks, and it'll set you back $85.

Yeah, I saw the MoVida book at Readings (and as Lamington posted, it's $45).  And as you've posted, the book itself feels quite flimsy and there's this very earthy smell to the paper (oddly, I kind of like the smell  :shock: ).

Flimsy? I have two hundred year old cookbooks that look in better condition. $45 is cheap, but I wonder if this is false economy if it falls apart in a few years?