• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Rules: What Everyone Should Know

slkinsey

So, I've been reading Esquire Drinks: An Opinionated & Irreverent Guide to Drinking With 250 Drink Recipes by David Wondrich (known here as Splificator). This is an attractive book, full of interesting cocktails and worthy of discussion just on that basis. It's also a fun book, with Dave's particular brand of humor coming out on every page.

One of the fun things is the "rule" that comes up on the occasional page. They're funny, but also true in the same way fortune cookie fortunes are true. A few examples are: Rule #823 - If the bartender doesn't make a decent Manhattan, that "house special" will probably suck, too. Rule #223 - Never order a drink whose name includes a part of the anatomy normally covered by underwear.

Well, today I was trying to figure out just exactly what a Splificator is (it's a drink), and googling brought me to Esquire.com where I found another list of (presumably Dave's) rules, including such gems as: Rule #1 - there is no such thing as a Chocolate Martini. Rule #54 - Unless you are lounging on the Promenade Deck, do not drink from a fruit.

My favorite: Rule #832 (book) or Rule #65 (web) - Shun novelty, suspect innovation.

So... how about coming up with some rules of our own?

--

Boy, I wish I had had eGullet around when I did the original rules (In truth, I inherited many of the ones on the website from the wise heads at Esquire, who know a thing or two about bending the elbow; all the ones in the book are, alas, my own). Agree wholeheartedly with every one so far.

Many thanks for Mr. Kinsey for the kind words about Esquire Drinks; much appreciated. I'll contribute one new rule of my own here (with a big nod to Ms. Audrey Saunders):

Rule #163: Three ingredients are enough. Usually.

--DW

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Please don't beat me up.

The Splificator.

Place 2 or 3 large ice cubes in a tall glass. Pour straight rye whiskey over them (NOT Canadian whiskey). Add Apolinaris water or any other bubbly water to taste.

Some of the older members may recognize this beverage under another name. "Splificator" comes from Chris Lawlor's 1895 The Mixicologist [sic]; "splificated" was Irish slang for "drunk," something I have never been.

--DW

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Cool.

Okay, my turn...

Rule #858: No drink worth drinking for any reason was ever mixed in a trash can

Rule #653: No, Jägermeister doesn't contain "secret opiates" that make you "extra fucked up." You've been choking down that swill with your frat buddies for no good reason.

Rule #214: Remember, you become more attractive with every drink she has, not with every drink you have.

--

#396 Contrary to the high school rhyme, it doesn't matter if you have liquor or beer first. If you drink too much you puke.

#962 If you are over 25 having a party, do not open the bottle that a friend brings over to your house while everyone is there. It's a present for you, not a contribution to the general store of inebriating liquids.

PS - sam, love #214. Truly Esquire quality.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Rule #316: It is impossible to look masculine sipping a drink with a tiny umbrella sticking out of it.

On the other hand, see Rule #738: If all it takes is a little paper umbrella to challenge your masculinity...

;-)

--DW

aka David Wondrich

A swizzle stick is not a straw.

Only very young girls and very old women look cute when they forget that.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Good one, Bux. How about:

Rule #657: A martini is not a cigar drink.

Rule #92: A lot of the old cocktails sucked just as much as the new ones... we just have the advantage of time filtering them out.

--

Corrolary to Trash Can Drinks:

The likelihood of spilling/puking brightly colored liquids is directly proportional to the price of the carpet.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

(On behalf of a somewhat disillusioned female friend.)

Rule #88: While big tips and big tits may be only one letter apart, the quality of drinks can vary widely and should surely also be taken into consideration.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

The Queneau's additional rules:

(1) Any drink in a strip joint will invariably taste of tanning lotion. If ewe are in a strip joint and looking for a good drink, ewe have confused priorities.

(2) A pint of Guinness is not served with a shamrock. If it is, ewe are a tourist. Remove camera from around neck.

(3) Martini & Rossi is vermouth. It is not Martini. (one for the Brits)

(4) If ewe have to ask "Do ewe know who I am?", the chances are the bartender doesn't.

(5) If one didn't drink absinthe during the 19th Century, one could not lay claim to genius. The same applied to having syphilis. Make the connection.

(6) Ewe have not been waiting 45 minutes for a drink. Remember, time is relative.

(7) If ewe have been waiting 45 minutes for a drink, ewe should know what ewe want. Now is not the thyme for a conference.

(8) Be aware that, at some point in any transaction, it is expected that money will change hands. A bar is no different, so don't be upset when this is requested.

(9) The bartender is not called Tom Cruise. It is not funny to call the bartender Tom Cruise. It is, however, funny to see the doorman remove the customer who has called me Tom Cruise.

(10) If ewe profess sobriety, ewe are drunk. Accept it and enjoy it.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

#417 - the longer the name, the quicker you're sicker.

#93 - Just dont disturb the absinthe. Its better left alone. Let it nap in its bottle.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with #93. Absinthe is wonderful.

#857 If the bar only has one type of beer, don't trust the martini. Go for Jack Daniels. Rocks.

#858 If the bar allows spitting on the floor, don't drink past the point of being able to walk.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

#858  If the bar allows spitting on the floor, don't drink past the point of being able to walk.

Sound advice, that.

--DW

aka David Wondrich

#973: Drinking the next morning doesn't cure the hangover, it only postpones it.

#974: Make sure the beer can is empty before you put your cigarette out in it. Someone (you!) may still be drinking it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

#974: Make sure the beer can is empty before you put your cigarette out in it.  Someone (you!) may still be drinking it.

Ugh! :angry: A lesson learned the hard way!

I wish I could say that all it takes is once to learn that one.

--DW

aka David Wondrich