• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquavit

Bond Girl

Hi BryanZ.

Great report!! Thanks for the play-by-play. I am still stuck in the "haven't gotten around to Aquavit b/c I've been 'checking off' other restaurants in NYC...." I've promised myself to get there the next time I'm in the city.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

My friend and I had a terrific meal at the Aquavit Cafe in April (report upthread), so we were tempted to try the main dining room. Our dinner there last Friday was peculiarly underwhelming.

We had the three-course prix fixe ($80). My friend started with the Herring Sampler, which came with a glass of beer and a shot of what must have been 100-proof potato vodka. I had a foie gras starter, but the accompanying strips of bacon stole the show.

For the main course, my friend had the bacon wrapped New York strip, and again, she found that the bacon stole the show. Spice rubbed venison loin came in a peculiar apple-pine broth that turned the dish into a swimming pool. I found the dessert choices underwhelming, and settled on a selection of three scoops of ice cream.

Aquavit is, of course, capable of great things, but on this occasion we weren't wowed. My friend, who has spent a lot of time in Sweden, found the space sterile.

Edited by oakapple (log)

• 6 months later...
What the tag line says...  What do you guys think of Aquavit now?  Worth a visit?

If so what do you recommend?

*SIGH* Used to LOVE Aquavit, but was just at the new location on Saturday, and... I'm disappointed. The decor is really, really lousy, and the wine service was terrible. The food, though... Best dish of the night was the Seared Octopus on a Smoky Avocado Sauce - there was Wagyu Tartare on the plate, too, but the octopus and avocado stole the show! Could have eaten this dish for each course! Absolutely outstanding. The beer-braised short ribs were also yummy, as was the spice-rubbed venison. Desserts were alright.

. . . I'm disappointed.  The decor is really, really lousy, and the wine service was terrible.

I haven't been to the new location, but it's got to be difficult to beat the decor of the old one, with its multi-story curtain of water falling down. And I'm glad to hear the quality of the food has, at the very least, been maintained. Even if the octopus and avocado "stole the show" I'd still like to hear about the rest of your meal. And I'm very curious about the particulars of the "terrible" wine service; how did they screw up?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I've never been to the old location but the new one is sleek, modern and fun......a beautiful space all around. Even if you're not a fan of modern/Scandinavian decor the place is stunning.

What was lousy?

That wasn't chicken

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

I's curious to know if anyone knows how Aquavit is doing these days??? I remember some time ago it was regarded as such a good place and everything and now it has luike comp-letly fallen off the map. I heard some chhefs left, I am not even sure if Sammuelsson is still there????

I recently went to stage at some places in Denmark and it seems that they have a pretty bad rep in Scandinavia. Where I was they laughed when I mentioned it and told me that Aquavit has nothing trully scandinavian except the cured salmon.

Their website also is terrible. I don't think it has been updated in like 2 years. Anyways if someone has any updates on them I'd be interrested to hear about them. Thanks.

I will be in NYC for international restaurant show in March, have a reservation on Tuesday the 6th, I will post a review... I wouldnt say its a negative that it doesnt fit under the purely Scandinavian label, I dont think its ever tried to...

My g/f lived in Sweden for a year, and she thinks it's very Scandinavian. (Look at the on-line menus for a few high-end Swedish restaurants, and you'll see the Swedes are much more broad-minded than you're giving them credit for.)

As bang-for-the-buck goes, I think the front room at Aquavit, at a much lower price point, may be the better deal.

• 3 weeks later...
I will be in NYC for international restaurant show in March, have a reservation on Tuesday the 6th, I will post a review... I wouldnt say its a negative that it doesnt fit under the purely Scandinavian label, I dont think its ever tried to...

My g/f lived in Sweden for a year, and she thinks it's very Scandinavian. (Look at the on-line menus for a few high-end Swedish restaurants, and you'll see the Swedes are much more broad-minded than you're giving them credit for.)

As bang-for-the-buck goes, I think the front room at Aquavit, at a much lower price point, may be the better deal.

I am not going to get into how "Scandinavian" the menu is since I have never been to those countries. However, last week I went to "Aquavit" again after a long hiatus. It was a lot better than I remembered. My table had the tasting menu (2 different menus) and all the dishes were very good. THe place is quite dark so no pictures (I would have had to use a flash) were taken. Desserts were also very good.

We tried several Aquavits (FIG being my favourite)--careful, they are expensive and they quickly add fast to your bill.

I will probably go there more often (along with the Modern Cafe, pre-theatre menu becomes very attractive) and I will soon try the lunch menu. Overall, give it another try.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay in short, 4 of us attended... The last stop of a two day gluttony fest that, for me, included at least 16 courses at Sumile earlier that evening. We all ordered 3 course prix fixe, it ended up being about 9 courses... Three rounds of canapes were sent out, at least two of which were of the cured fish orientation... All very tasty. None really stand out in my memory.

First courses... Foie Gras ganache, Lobster roll, Hamachi w/duck tongue and Sea Urchin, Beef tartare, octopus and avocado... The lobster roll and foie gras were both good, nothing exceptional just what they were described as and very well executed... The hamachi and the beef tartare however were phenomenal... The hamachi perhaps being one of the two best things Id eaten all weekend... The octopus just the perfect amount of chewiness... We were sent complementary plates of the beef short ribs next... Perfectly braised, beautifully presented, flavors oriented towards beer and broccolli seem to be popping up a lot of places, but made perfect sense...

Main courses... Hot Smoked Trout, Venison, Salmon, Seafood stew.... The Trout was mine and the fish itself was great... I wish he was still serving the geoduck salad with it but nevertheless the accompaniments that evening were perfectly thoughtful and well executed... The Salmon, brioche crusted with beef cheeks and beets.... brilliant.... As was the horseradish spaetzle accompanying the Venison....

The pre dessert was a frozen soup with a lime foam and an accompanying aquavit, the rest of the flavors escape my memory.

For dessert the coffee creme brulee with tangerine sorbet was my choice and I didnt even try anyone elses, it was a surprisingly brilliant combination.

A complementary espresso flavored aquavit was brought out because we were apparently there so late they had no more coffee... We were the last group in either dining room but still... a bit peculiar.

The wine service, as previously mentioned by someone was spotty... We ordered by the glass and the choices were mixed up two out of three times... There was only one front waiter for the entire dining room while we were there.

We asked about Marcus and were told that hes in and out... Was there quite a bit in December and January due to the menu change.

• 1 year later...

The Aquavit Cafe herring buffet is coming up next week:

AQUAVIT HOSTS ITS ANNUAL HERRING WEEK

JUNE 16 – 20, 2008

WHAT:      Restaurant Aquavit celebrates its annual Herring Week by offering several different selections of this Scandinavian delicacy in the restaurant’s Café.

From out of the ocean, the first of the herring begin to find their way home in early April and continue to do so through mid-June.  After having spent many years out at sea, their strong instinct guides them back to the freshwaters where they were hatched.  They return, migrating up large rivers in huge spawning runs.

Chef and co-owner Marcus Samuelsson and Executive Chef Johan Svensson celebrate this global migration and time honored Swedish tradition with a buffet of inventive herring dishes in the restaurant’s Café.  Here, an unlimited selection of Aquavit dishes are available for lunch for $27.00 per person and for dinner at $48.00 per person (includes dessert).

The Herring Buffet Features:

Pickled Herring

Matjes Herring

Curry Herring

Herb Garlic Herring

Tomato Sherry Herring

Cucumber Yogurt Herring

Gentlemen’s Delight

Gravlax Matjes Herring Mustard Sauce

Hot Smoked Salmon Anchovy Horseradish Sauce

Swedish Meatballs Anchovy Gravy

Anchovy Flat bread

Romaine Salad with Anchovy Dressing

Calfs Liver Pate with Anchovy

Janssons Temptation

WHERE:        AQUAVIT

65 East 55th Street, between Park and Madison Avenues

Tel: 212-307-7311 (for reservations)

WHEN:            June 16 – 20, 2008

Lunch:  12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday – Saturday               

Dinner:  5:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m., Monday – Sunday

PRICE:            Lunch: $27

Dinner: $48 (includes dessert and additional buffet offerings)         

I'm so there.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

AYCE for $27 at lunch. They are definitely going to lose money on me. I just made my reservation.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Aquavit Cafe herring buffet is coming up next week:
AQUAVIT HOSTS ITS ANNUAL HERRING WEEK

JUNE 16 – 20, 2008

WHAT:       Restaurant Aquavit celebrates its annual Herring Week by offering several different selections of this Scandinavian delicacy in the restaurant’s Café.

From out of the ocean, the first of the herring begin to find their way home in early April and continue to do so through mid-June.  After having spent many years out at sea, their strong instinct guides them back to the freshwaters where they were hatched.  They return, migrating up large rivers in huge spawning runs.

Chef and co-owner Marcus Samuelsson and Executive Chef Johan Svensson celebrate this global migration and time honored Swedish tradition with a buffet of inventive herring dishes in the restaurant’s Café.  Here, an unlimited selection of Aquavit dishes are available for lunch for $27.00 per person and for dinner at $48.00 per person (includes dessert).

The Herring Buffet Features:

Pickled Herring

Matjes Herring

Curry Herring

Herb Garlic Herring

Tomato Sherry Herring

Cucumber Yogurt Herring

Gentlemen’s Delight

Gravlax Matjes Herring Mustard Sauce

Hot Smoked Salmon Anchovy Horseradish Sauce

Swedish Meatballs Anchovy Gravy

Anchovy Flat bread

Romaine Salad with Anchovy Dressing

Calfs Liver Pate with Anchovy

Janssons Temptation

WHERE:         AQUAVIT

65 East 55th Street, between Park and Madison Avenues

Tel: 212-307-7311 (for reservations)

WHEN:            June 16 – 20, 2008

Lunch:  12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday – Saturday               

Dinner:  5:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m., Monday – Sunday

PRICE:            Lunch: $27

Dinner: $48 (includes dessert and additional buffet offerings)         

I'm so there.

Thanks for the heads up. Will be going on Friday for lunch.

The Sunday brunch is $48 and doesn't offer anything like this variety of herring dishes. If you're cheap and into herring there's no comparison.

Yeah herring week is a big production, i can still smell it on me, there will be a much wider range of herring dishes during the week than they offer on sundays and less non herring food, we used to do a couple of different dishes for herring week they change from year to year 3 years ago we did, tacos, pizzas, herring in green apple soup, and a couple of others in addition to the traditional styles its always a good bargain, get some beers makes for a good time.