• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deflating Bhatura

ravum

I made bhaturas yesterday and although they puffed up well in the oil,they deflate on being removed from the oil.They taste wonderful but it would be better if they would remain balloony.

I remembered that the bhaturas at "Cream Centre" remain inflated even while cold.

My recipe is very similar to the one Suvir posted on this site,except I use a little atta also and skip the eggs.I roll out the dough using flour.

Any tricks/ideas for a beautiful, non collapsing bhatura?

While dough may be the primary reason for the final outcome, but one thing that may help is to fry them longer, till one side becomes quite crisp, almost brown. IMHO, It will tend to remain inflated.

However, you are gonna have to break it in a few seconds to eat it, so what is the real reason, presentation or something else??

Hey have you ever tried to make the puris in pani-puri

If so I've too experienced this problem with an eye to challenge my better appearance of the puris therein to hold the spiced pani.

I have experience using rava or sooji for the dough in small additions to wheat flour may be 1/8 to 1 cup of wheat flour.. this helps the puris to remain puffed up, have you tried it.

So same may be applied to baturae so you may have it holding up to your time lapse of eating of them.

Actually I've used the mesa harina of the mexicans that they use to make their tortilla and this is available in the local grocer too like key foods in their ethinic or mexican section of ethinc food so you may find this mesa and use it with wheat flour and it will I assure you hold its appearance to your satisfaction.

Let me know if that helps, I have an inkling that the Indians restraunteurs may use it too as a secret ingredient ;).

:biggrin: I am really not for sure it is well to give any measurements here all really depends on the flour you will use at the time of making the baturas.. besides my techniques are based on guesses and estimates and to be proven next time when I experiment those quantities.. so if you have'nt started of yest to experiment with your's I'll add in a few things may be just one thing here for starters.. may be you could try to make a small panipuri batch to add up to the right consistency and other ingredients for bhaturae later then when you've got the standing power ready..

You may want to experiment adding more of the sooji or masa herina or corn meal what ever you'd like to experiment on, just remember you'll need to add more of the other ingredient which is start up with more than 1/8 th of sooji or masa and continue increasing it to add stiffness of the small sized pani-puris.. and end up with the right proportions.. and for heaven sakes write it down for later reference :raz::laugh::rolleyes:

Geetha

Yajna Patni let us know what else you added in what proportions when you're experiments are completed.

I'll guess you've taken sooji and maida(unbleached) or bleached flour.. in proportions greater say half and half ie 50/50.. I did try out my 1/8 sooji I think there is to be more sooji or corn meal added.. than 1/8th may be you could do 1/4th or rather 25/75 sooji or corn meal/ wheat flour..

Then again if you have used only sooji and wheat flour you may still have to add all those other ingredients for bhaturae like milk/buttermilk soda powder others I don't even know yet that get along into bhaturae dough..

But definitely only sooji and wheat in half and half will cause it to be stiff like for the pani-puri, you will need to may be soften this mixture a little with all your ingredients of baturae. Good Luck let us know.

Later..

Geetha

Thank you all for your ideas.I will try adding a little sooji and cornmeal.Will do a separate one with potatoes if I can find guinea pigs to eat bhaturas regularly!.

I tried making them with yeast instead of baking powder/soda and liked the result.Is it still a bhatura with yeast?