• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leaf Lard

after reading this month's Cooks Illustrated, i've decided to make my holiday pie crusts with lard ~ but not the plain ol supermarket variety. Cooks recommends Dietrich's brand from PA,any idea where i can find a local source?

thanks.

e

I read that article too, and although I've never had leaf lard, I do render my own lard pretty often, from regular pork fat. It's sweet and delicious, and infinitely preferable to store lard, which I think is an abomination. If you can't find the Dietrich's, or don't want to pay for it, just make your own!

I read that article too, and although I've never had leaf lard, I do render my own lard pretty often, from regular pork fat.  It's sweet and delicious, and infinitely preferable to store lard, which I think is an abomination.  If you can't find the Dietrich's, or don't want to pay for it, just make your own!

Abra:

Would you mind giving details on where you get your pork fat and how you render it? I've been wanting to try this for a while.

Thanks!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I just ask my butcher tyo save me pork fat from trimmings until they get 4-5 lbs of fat. Put that in a big pot with 1-2 cups water and set over low heat. When the water is all evaporated the fat will start to render. Just leave it on a very low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. You'll know it's done when you have a pile of crispy brown stuff, swimming in a pool of clear fat, with some sediment around the bottom. Filter the fat through fine cheesecloth, and there you have it. It's a great thing to have in the fridge, and lasts more or less forever there.

I just ask my butcher tyo save me pork fat from trimmings until they get 4-5 lbs of fat.  Put that in a big pot with 1-2 cups water and set over low heat.  When the water is all evaporated the fat will start to render.  Just leave it on a very low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.  You'll know it's done when you have a pile of crispy brown stuff, swimming in a pool of clear fat, with some sediment around the bottom.  Filter the fat through fine cheesecloth, and there you have it.  It's a great thing to have in the fridge, and lasts more or less forever there.

Thanks so much! I'll have to give it a try. I've always wanted to try fried chicken and pie crust cooked in lard.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

If you have a Mexican market in you area, check there. All the ones in which I have shopped always have pork fat where they have the rest of the meats.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cooks recommends Dietrich's brand from PA,any idea where i can find a local source?

This magazine could be so much better if they were to expand their testing to products beyond those that can only be obtained on the east coast. :angry:

How about a west coast edition?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I just ask my butcher tyo save me pork fat from trimmings until they get 4-5 lbs of fat.  Put that in a big pot with 1-2 cups water and set over low heat.  When the water is all evaporated the fat will start to render.  Just leave it on a very low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.

And if you add twice as much diced pork shoulder to the pork fat and follow these instructions, you've got Rillettes!

:cool:

Edit to add: Of course you'll need to add a bay leaf, 10 peppercorns, 10 juniper berries, 3 thyme sprigs, and 3 sage leaves...

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some frozen leaf fat at the Whistling Train stand at the U District farmer's market today. It was fairly expensive, and I'll need to render it, but Laurie has pie plans, so I'll report in when it gets used.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May