• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

I'll make a note to come in for lunch on Wednesday!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'll make a note to come in for lunch on Wednesday!

Just a reminder tho...We won't be running it until Wed the 8th, as we will not be recieving the product until Thursday the 3rd.

edited to correct fat finger spelling errors

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I'm a born and bred New Yorker who has now lived in the Seattle area for almost 20 years. I visit NYC two or three times a year and gorge on pizza when I'm "home". There is no true NY Pizza in Seattle. There is one that is very close but you need to be willing to travel a bit.

#1 NY Pizza is on Route 9 in Clearview on the road to Snohomish. I have tried every pizza listed on this board by you all and this is by far a more authentic pie. They close early and they aren't open on Sundays. If you have nothing to do on Sat it's well worth the drive.

They make a pie with what I call the roll and slip effect. The crust is thin enough to roll and the cheese is gooey and greasy enough to slip off.

If you are heading up Route 9 it's on the Right Hand side right before the Amish outdoor furniture place. It's set back from the road.

This is definitely not a fine dining place--It's Pizza--plain and simple. They make a great Calzone too.

All Right, Folx....

Fennel and Finnocchiona is in, will prep tomorrow and it will be ready to go on an order pie basis the second we open on Thursday!

Whoo Hoo!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Just had a cheese slice from Zagi's...I really didn't like it. Wayy too much cheese and it had been sitting too long. These things I could tell but I got it anyway because the other choices had a whole bunch of stuff on them and I don't like my pizza with tons of toppings. The whole pies people were eating in the restaurant looked good.

I'll make it to the UW Pagliacci's next week for the salumi. My boss is taking me out to lunch today for my recent birthday and I'm going to make her spend some money. :)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'll make it to the UW Pagliacci's next week for the salumi.  My boss is taking me out to lunch today for my recent birthday and I'm going to make her spend some money. :)

I'll keep a watch for ya! :wink:

T minus 45 minutes until delivery.

Pat

Apparently it is doing very well at the Broadway Pizzeria on their slice line today.

Remember: Saturdays and Wednesdays at the U-district! :biggrin:

That's tasty salumi. Glad y'all are running this primo.

I almost blurted out Irwin Special at the phone operator but caught myself in time to ask for the crust well done. :raz:

I also want to try it with a red sauce under the cheese, maybe a special order next time...

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Boyfriend and I went the Bellevue Pagliacci Pizzeria tonight to get the Salumi Primo.

Finocchiona tastes really, really good on a pizza. I have to say that I couldn't really taste the fennel, what with all of the competing flavors of salami/cheese/peppers, and it was a tad greasy. That said, it was still really really good.

Apparently it is doing very well at the Broadway Pizzeria on their slice line today.

Well, we took care of four slices for dinner tonight (Iris chewed on my crusts). I wasn't so sure when I saw how much stuff was on it--I was expecting a purer salami slice--but it was GREAT. My favorite topping was the fennel, really smooth and delicious. The Mama Lil's peppers were hot, the salami was peppery, and it came together as a delicious mouthful. I didn't think the ricotta added much, but it didn't detract either. Great work, pie-ers.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

YAY!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I made the crew each try a slice or two tonight...They all really liked it. The finnocchiona really mellows out with cooking. (Pre pizza, it is pleasantly peppery........Um, say that 10 times fast...)

Everyone agreed it had a full, rich flavor. Nice. I'm really stoked about this pie, can you tell?

Jason

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

I concur with Laurie's assessment and also with part of creepygirl's: this is a remarkably greasy slice. Nothing a few napkins can't take care of, but the perfectly triangular grease spot on the paper is something you don't see every day.

When I make pepperoni or salami pizza at home, I often defat it beforehand with a couple of minutes in a frying pan, but I can certainly understand why pizzerias don't do that.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Tried the Salumi Primo today during the Super Bowl. I really enjoyed it -- for me, the highlight was actually the addition of the peppers. The finnocchiona was delicious.

While I thought the pizza was basically perfect, a friend noted that he thought it was quite greasy, concurring with the folks on here. Great pie, though.

I had my first NYC pizza over the weekend. I was not expecting to like it that much, since I love the neapolitan style, but I was blown away by how good it all was. Even slices from random places in touristy areas were absolutely delicious.

I had my first NYC pizza over the weekend. I was not expecting to like it that much, since I love the neapolitan style, but I was blown away by how good it all was. Even slices from random places in touristy areas were absolutely delicious.

That is the just it. The amazing thing about pizza prepared and consumed within an NYC zipcode is that the pizza is so consistently and amazingly delicious whether it comes out of a hole in the wall by the bus station or out of a classy joint with waiters and tablecloths. While I have grown to love a Seattle pizza that emerges from one of our better restaurants (see Cafe Lago and elsewhere on this thread), the complete mystery to me is how the local equivalent of an AM-PM in NYC can produce such an amazing tasting slice?

The amazing thing about pizza prepared and consumed within an NYC zipcode is that the pizza is so consistently and amazingly delicious whether it comes out of a hole in the wall by the bus station or out of a classy joint with waiters and tablecloths.

That's funny, Matthew and I were just talking about our different view of New York pizza. We ate some fantastic pizza at the best places, but had a lot of crummy slices (including disgusting canned mushrooms) at the holes in the wall. None of the places we tried around Columbia, where we lived, were nearly as good as Pagliacci (our neighborhood spot in Seattle). (Though I know Matthew did return fairly often to that place on Broadway with the humorously huge slices; I'm blanking on the name right now.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

even i, the big defender of NY pizza, acknowledge that some isn't that great. it can be soggy and a bit bland. but comparatively, yeah, it rocks. (see Lago thread, &c.)

mamster, how'd you end up at Koronet? that place sustained me for most of my college days. a day's calories in a single slice!!

...These rules are -

1. Wood fired oven only

2. Pizza size is 12'-13"

3. Dough is made from water, flour, yeast and salt only and the flour must be a type 00

4. Dough must be made and shaped by hand only

5. Tomoatoes must be from San Marazano

6. Mozzarella must be di Bufala

Yup, that's pretty much how it was done at my house except we made pizzas at about 8 inches in diameter. Sadly, at least for this post, I sold the house last spring. Here's a picture of the pizza oven in the back yard. Now Deborah, if you had started this thread in the summer of 2003...

gallery_6987_347_1258.jpg

And one of the masterpieces that came out of it...

gallery_6987_347_801.jpg

Onion, leek, and garlic pizza.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Sadly, at least for this post, I sold the house last spring. Here's a picture of the pizza oven in the back yard. Now Deborah, if you had started this thread in the summer of 2003...

Wow--that pizza looks fabulous! Hmmmmmm how about building one at your new house??? I'll bring dessert! :biggrin: