• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

My husband ordered a Grand Salami with Salumi pepperoni on it (instead of the regular pepperoni)... I snagged a slice. It was mighty tasty. I almost wished that I'd ordered that instead of the Chicken Primo, which I had on my half of the pizza.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I can attest that this ex NYer thinks this is the best NY style Pizza in the Seattle area. You won't get fancy toppings here. No Thai Chicken, figs or egads-pineapple. This is primarily a take out place though they do have a few booths.

Hard to find-It's set back off the road a bit....But well worth the effort.

The stretch between Woodinville and Snohomish is still technically "Seattle area", I hope...

Up here, on Highway 9, there's a tiny little shop named "#1 NY Pizza". It's run by Tony and Relita, a retired couple from Queens. They make the best crisp chewy crust, nice and thin. It's outstanding and real NY style pizza. Calzones and egg creams, too. I really wish I had a photo to attach. :)

Take a little trip out north some weekend and give them a shot. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Here's a link to a decent <A HREF="http://maps.google.com/maps?sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.70117,79.628906&hl=en&q=%231+ny+pizza,+snohomish,+wa&latlng=47913056,-122096944,11282993126782940099">map</A>.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an fyi...The Queen Anne Pagliacci will be closed until about Nov 10th. for a remodel. Look for Gelato when we open back up!

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

• 1 month later...

I must preface this with the fact that I haven't actually had pizza in NY. However, I tried this place out after seeing this post, and have been there several times since. The pizza is good, the white pizza is fantastic. And the cannoli is good--Tony doesn't assemble it until you order it, and the ricotta is perfectly sweetened (meaning not too sweet). I'm sure this will be a regular stop for us.

I can attest that this ex NYer thinks this is the best NY style Pizza in the Seattle area.  You won't get fancy toppings here.  No Thai Chicken, figs or egads-pineapple.    This is primarily a take out place though they do have a few booths.

Hard to find-It's set back off the road a bit....But well worth the effort.

The stretch between Woodinville and Snohomish is still technically "Seattle area", I hope...

Up here, on Highway 9, there's a tiny little shop named "#1 NY Pizza". It's run by Tony and Relita, a retired couple from Queens. They make the best crisp chewy crust, nice and thin. It's outstanding and real NY style pizza. Calzones and egg creams, too. I really wish I had a photo to attach. :)

Take a little trip out north some weekend and give them a shot. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Here's a link to a decent <A HREF="http://maps.google.com/maps?sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.70117,79.628906&hl=en&q=%231+ny+pizza,+snohomish,+wa&latlng=47913056,-122096944,11282993126782940099">map</A>.

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

• 2 months later...

HOT DAMN! Wanted to post yesterday, but didn't want to scoop Hsiao-Ching.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/303529_macrina14.html

Awesome. Looking forward to this. We will start using some of their products soon!

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

• 3 months later...

I took my sons out for pizza tonite and we had great New York style pizza at a fairly new place, Brooklyn Brothers Pizza in Everett.

This is the tastiest NY style pizza I've ever had. The crust is thin, crispy/chewy and glistens around the edge like the best artisanal breads. There's just the right amount of tasty sauce and cheese. We had pepperoni on our pie and it was delicious.

All you NY pizza lovers - check it out! It's located on Hewitt Ave in downtown Everett across the street from the Events Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the opportunity the beginning of last month to go to NY and have NY pizza. And I have to say, that while we had a good white pizza at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, it made me want the white pizza at #1 NY Pizza in Snohomish. A little off the beaten path, but definitely worth the trip.

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

You might want to check out the new Snoose Junction Pizza in Ballard (on Market Street). They do pizza by the slice, as well as by the pie, and it reminds me very much of Ray's Pizza in New York. Extremely tasty and satisfying -- thin but chewy crust, aggressively spicy red sauce, and the perfect cheese in a nice golden web across the top. The pepperoni is fab, too.

Snoose Junction also has a very homey, neighborhood feel -- like a Brooklyn pizza joint. Perfect place to drop in for a beer and a couple hot slices.

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

You might want to check out the new Snoose Junction Pizza in Ballard (on Market Street). They do pizza by the slice, as well as by the pie, and it reminds me very much of Ray's Pizza in New York. Extremely tasty and satisfying -- thin but chewy crust, aggressively spicy red sauce, and the perfect cheese in a nice golden web across the top. The pepperoni is fab, too.

Snoose Junction also has a very homey, neighborhood feel -- like a Brooklyn pizza joint. Perfect place to drop in for a beer and a couple hot slices.

we've been wanting to check this out, thanks for the write up!

• 3 weeks later...

It is with regret that I announce my departure from the Queen Anne Pagliacci Pizza. The past nine months have been an eye opening experience for me, and I hope that I was able to bring something positive to the store.

My replacement, Brian Youngdahl, is afantastic GM, (I should know, I hired and promoted him!) and will do a great job there.

Crostata Seasonal has started....Mmmmmm.....Carmelized Walla Walla Onions and Gorgonzola....

Oh, yeah....

Did I mention that was was going back over to run the University District Pagliacci? LOL. Hopefully, we'll see ya'll there!

I'll miss you occasionally dropping in, Tall Drink of Water! :)

~Jason

Small diatribe then recommendations.

Folks, when talking about NY pizza, no discussion should include the word fig. It's like walking into a Salumaria in NYC and pronouncing mozzarella or prosciutto phonetically like they do out here: you just don't do it. Perhaps another thread should be started titled "Pizza - Not NY but otherwise good" with discussions of fig pizzas ad nausium.

Pine Lake Pizza in Sammamish, tastes like Nunzios or Deninos on Staten Island. Get either the regular pie or pepperoni. The sausage is way too sweet and doesn't have enough fennel. No sit down - purely takeout joint.

http://www.pinelakepizza.com/

Slightly off topic - anyone find good calzone at a place where you ask for the traditional ham in it, and they don't look at you weird?

Slightly off topic - anyone find good calzone at a place where you ask for the traditional ham in it, and they don't look at you weird?

Filiberto's (just northwest of SeaTac airport) does a great ham calzone. Actually, their pizzas are as good or better than any of the new wave of 'certified' Neapolitan places.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Small diatribe then recommendations. 

Folks, when talking about NY pizza, no discussion should include the word fig.  It's like walking into a Salumaria in NYC and pronouncing mozzarella or prosciutto phonetically like they do out here: you just don't do it.  Perhaps another thread should be started titled "Pizza - Not NY but otherwise good" with discussions of fig pizzas ad nausium.

Yeah, us good ol' folks in the PNW don't know nothing about ferign foods. Pardon my Italian - and there has been a lot of talk about fennel, not so much about figs (though I happen to love them on pizza, but I don't claim them to be NY pizza) - and they weren't discussing the leafy greens.

snark.

• 5 years later...

Hello there! I just moved here from Arizona with my boyfriend who is from New York and has been craving NY Pizza since he moved from New York.. I have not seen any thing posted on here as of recently so just wondering if any one has found a place in the Seattle area pretty dang close to New York style pizza? If any one has a few suggestions I would love to hear them. I figured we'd go explore the city and stop by a few pizza shops (That sells by the big slice of course) on the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello there! I just moved here from Arizona with my boyfriend who is from New York and has been craving NY Pizza since he moved from New York.. I have not seen any thing posted on here as of recently so just wondering if any one has found a place in the Seattle area pretty dang close to New York style pizza? If any one has a few suggestions I would love to hear them. I figured we'd go explore the city and stop by a few pizza shops (That sells by the big slice of course) on the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You might want to try Ballard Pizza Co. http://www.ballardpizzacompany.com/

Practice Random Acts of Toasting