• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

We finally tried A New York Pizza Place on Sunday night, the place in Roosevelt at 83rd and 5th. We ordered the Mickey Mantle, which has pepperoni, sausage, red onion, and olives. All in all I was pretty impressed. Loved the crust, which I think is the most authentically New York of any place's I've tried in the area. I think that next time -- and there will definitely be a next time -- I'll order something with fewer toppings, as the toppings were spread with a bit of a heavy hand for my taste (but for some people, this would be an asset, as people's preferences really vary on this and I've had great pizza that's heavy on toppings and great pizza that's light on toppings). The pizza had just the right grease factor, neither too much nor too little.

When we were there around 7 on a Sunday night the place was pretty quiet. I enjoyed the divey neighborhood feel of the place -- not an ambience-heavy meal out, but it had the laid back style I associate with grabbing a pizza. Seems like it could be a chill place to watch a baseball game and have a pie and a drink with friends.

We'll be returning for further investigation soon.

• 2 months later...

Hi All ---

It's been awhile I know, but I just had to post about the brand new seasonal that we will be doing at Pagliacci starting next week.

Now, as far as I know, we are the only place in town that has this on a pie, but feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Next Thursday we will be starting a Prosciutto and Fig pizza. We had a spec meeting on it today and I could not stop eating it.

Dough, olive oil, FRESH mozzarella, (which I think is another first for us) prosciutto, figs, and basil. Thats it. Yummy yummy yummy!

I'd love to hear what ya'll think about it, and maybe we'll see you at the Pag on the Ave!

This one will be around for a shorter time period then our other seasonals, 'cause we want to make sure we are getting the figs at their best. Just so ya know.

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Hi All ---

It's been awhile I know, but I just had to post about the brand new seasonal that we will be doing at Pagliacci starting next week.

Now, as far as I know, we are the only place in town that has this on a pie, but feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Next Thursday we will be starting a Prosciutto and Fig pizza. We had a spec meeting on it today and I could not stop eating it.

Dough, olive oil, FRESH mozzarella, (which I think is another first for us) prosciutto, figs, and basil. Thats it. Yummy yummy yummy!

I'd love to hear what ya'll think about it, and maybe we'll see you at the Pag on the Ave!

This one will be around for a shorter time period then our other seasonals, 'cause we want to make sure we are getting the figs at their best. Just so ya know.

~Jason

Thursday, you say? I'm there! With Proscitto, fig and fresh moz sounds like it could be my favorite pizza.

Have you considered offering pizzas with sliced potato?

If that's your thing, you should check out the 'Corson Classic' at Stellar Pizza in Georgetown. Unconventional but very tasty.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

That sounds exactly like what I want this time of the year.

Well, maybe with a little truffle oil. :wink: Truly, I don't expect Pagliacci to do that let alone on budget.

Hi All ---

~Jason

Thursday, you say? I'm there! With Proscitto, fig and fresh moz sounds like it could be my favorite pizza.

Actually, our Chicken Rosemary that we run during the Winter has potato on it, but we don't have it as a year 'round topping, sorry.

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Fish Club has flatbread with proscuitto and fig jam (savory) and gorgonzola. It's a Todd English signature pizza combo. Great stuff - recipe is in Figs cookbook. An easy pie. And great flavors.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo.....

The Prosciutto Fig is under way. Man, is this a tasty, tasty pie. We have also switched to a better product on the prosciutto end, and it makes a difference.

TRY THIS PIE! I almost like it as much as the Salumi....Not Quite, but almost...

~Jason

Zagi's was lunch today. First time visiting - but I figured if it was a total write-off, I could gorge at Larsen's across the street for dessert (they have some total write-offs of their own, but they do some very good traditional baking).

Anyway. I had a couple of slices (Ma Bell - marinated bell peppers and carmelized onions with mozz) and red onion/sausage. My co-diner had a slice of pepperoni and a meatball sub.

Not terrible, not worth a drive. The crust is among the best I've had in seattle, but the sauce is sweetish and bland, and the cheese had no dairy impact. Slices were rewarmed perfectly- slightly chewy, very crunchy/crispy at the edges. The meatball sub was the highlight, IMHO. Overall, I'd go back if I was in the neighborhood - it's probably the best lunch option for pizza near my office (Frelard, by Hales).

Eric

Edited by VibeGuy (log)

Well I had a WONDERFUL lunch at Pagliacci on the ave today. Fay Jai was nice enough to make up the fig and proscuitto pie, while it cooked I had a slice of the pep and black olive, what can I say? It's my go to slice!

The proscuitto and fig is soooooo good! It's light and the flavor is just perfect. Real figs, not jam! awesome. The proscuitto was salty and had just the right bite to it. the mozz was excellent! This is a pie that we will buy again and also try to copy at home.

thanks again Fay Jai for an awesome lunch!

I ordered the fig pizza the other night and it was fantastic. The only trouble was that the figs don't stick to the pizza, and they kept falling off and getting snapped up by the vigilant dog, but that was my own fault for not using a plate.

• 2 weeks later...

That fig and prosciutto pie sounds very tasty. I finally tried Tutti Bella last week. It was pretty decent though I think I like Via Tribunali vbetter. The crust at the latter has a smokier richer flavor than at Tutti Bella.

-Amir

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

• 1 month later...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too late in posting this...but hopefully dinner plans have not yet been made....

All profits from today's sales here at Pagliacci will be donaed to the Red Cross Hurricane Releif fund.

I suggest the Seasonal....The Mushroom Primo. White Sauce, Provolone, Mozz, Shiitakes, Portobellos, Chantrelles and Button Mushrooms, with some diced red peppers and capers thrown in for the heck of it. I HATE mushrooms, but I even like this one.

Thanks!

~Jason

Iris and I had some shroom primo last week and it was great, although her favorite slice is Veggie Veggie Combo. Jason, when's pear primo due?

Why...It is funny you ask, my good man! NEXT! Then, if memory serves, Chicken Rosemary. Pear starts Friday Nov 25th.

Glad Iris liked the pie!

:smile:

~Jason

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

• 2 months later...

Cross Posted from another thread, but just an FYI that the Salumi will be starting on Feb 2nd. Same recipe as last year.

AND....

If you even think that you will be ordering delivery during the Super Bowl, I'd suggest ordering as early as you can. Just FYI. :wink:

~Jason

It will be at Broadway on Thursdays again, I'm betting, since that is seasonal slice day. Jason, I can't remember if I've asked you this before, but is there any chance the pepper confetti primo will come back? I miss that like I miss my homies.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

It will be at Broadway on Thursdays again, I'm betting, since that is seasonal slice day. Jason, I can't remember if I've asked you this before, but is there any chance the pepper confetti primo will come back? I miss that like I miss my homies.

Alas, my man, no. My understanding is that our supplier went out of biz and we couldn't find an alternate one that could deliver the quality that we needed.

I only had it a couple of times, but I agree, it was a great pie. People still ask about it. Sorry..... :sad:

~Jason

The stretch between Woodinville and Snohomish is still technically "Seattle area", I hope...

Up here, on Highway 9, there's a tiny little shop named "#1 NY Pizza". It's run by Tony and Relita, a retired couple from Queens. They make the best crisp chewy crust, nice and thin. It's outstanding and real NY style pizza. Calzones and egg creams, too. I really wish I had a photo to attach. :)

Take a little trip out north some weekend and give them a shot. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Here's a link to a decent <A HREF="http://maps.google.com/maps?sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.70117,79.628906&hl=en&q=%231+ny+pizza,+snohomish,+wa&latlng=47913056,-122096944,11282993126782940099">map</A>.

Just to say that we had a salumi primo last weekend and it was very good!

Great....It's funny...I never get tired of hearing that! Thanks! Glad you liked it!

~Jason

• 6 months later...

Hey ya'll ---

We have a NEW Salumi pie starting up this Thursday, the Spicy Pepperoni. We're using Armandino's Spicy Pepperoni (LOTS of Smoked Paprika...Mmmmm....Paprika....) and putting it on our Original Cheese Pie. This will be on the menu from here on. It willl be a base pie, so, if you want something extra on it, you'll have to add it when you order it.

We will, however, be happy to substitute it for something else on any of our menu pies, so have at it!

I'll most likely have it on the line this weekend. Let me know what you think!

726-1717 in Seattle and 453-1717 for you Eastsiders

~Jason