• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

Laurel --- Kudos to you for working Luigi (thats the name the company has given our ordering software) like an absolute champ. that was great.

Pat --- Good question. Care to answer, Irwin? ;)

Scorched P. --- I'll let the owners know. I'm not privy to everything, but my sense is that they are trying to push North right now and encircle the lake. I agree that there is a lot of potential biz in Madrona/Madison Park area. (BTW...Have you tried The AGOG? Mmmmmm.....roasted garlic....(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds.....)

This may sound blasphemous, but I am really sorry to hear that Mad Pizza was so bad. I used to work for the guy that wrote the recipes and opened the Madison Park location, and one of my former employees was an assistant manager there b4 she got promoted to GM at their Fremont store. (Took them long enough, Onjoli!  :raz: ) I haven't eaten any of their pie in awhile, but I used to really like the one that they put apples on.

I just encounted Mad Pizza a couple weeks ago (Fremont store). First-rate crust, really exceptional, but the tomato sauce was bitter, probably because it was loaded with low-quality dried oregano. What a bummer, in view of the great crust underneath. Made me want to bring my own sauce next time and ask them to put it on their pie and bake it.

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

I think people who don't like P's fall into two camps:  Pizza snobs who've been to NYC or Chicago and refuse to endorse any pizza outside those areas, or pizza know-nothings who think Godfathers is fine dining.

I think people fall into two camps as well, people who think there's something wrong with people who disagree with them, and nice people.

I think people who don't like P's fall into two camps:  Pizza snobs who've been to NYC or Chicago and refuse to endorse any pizza outside those areas, or pizza know-nothings who think Godfathers is fine dining.

There's a big part of me that would absolutely LOVE to eviscerate this pronouncement and Pagliacci's pizza along with it, but my Godfather's is getting cold.....as if...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm sorry if I wasn't being nice, honestly I wasn't trying to offend. It's just a lot of people complain about the lack of good NY- or Chicago-style eats in Seattle, but nobody does anything about it. If all the NY pizza lovers pooled their money maybe they could open up a place. I'd love to try authentic NY pizza (or Chicago Deep Dish, or New Orleans Cajun/Creole, or regional BBQ) but #1, I can't afford to go, and #2 I'm on dialysis and can't leave Seattle anyway).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

We have about 20 portions left, today will probably be the last day we have it on the line at the U-Dist Pizzeria :sad::sad::sad:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Jason,

Can you tell us what the next Primo or seasonal special is going to be?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm sorry if I wasn't being nice, honestly I wasn't trying to offend.  It's just a lot of people complain about the lack of good NY- or Chicago-style eats in Seattle, but nobody does anything about it.  If all the NY pizza lovers pooled their money maybe they could open up a place. 

I've considered it. As I said, Via Tribubali scatches that itch for me and there are other pizza shops in town that I rather like (Il Forno, Hot Mama's, and Toscana off the top of my head) - Pag's is just not one of them.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Stay Tuned...We will be getting some more finnocchiona here at the U-Dist. I'll post when we decide to run it on the line, but most likely it will be Saturday, probably with our new seasonal, Pizza Bianca.

Thanks!

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

The new place near me is called Zagi's and there's a little review (and mention of this discussion thread!) in this week's Belltown Messenger.

"Super-foodie site eGullet.org has over 150 entries on the search for New York-style pizza in Seattle."

http://www.belltownmessenger.com/032005/032005-ronald.html

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell

"Super-foodie site eGullet.org has over 150 entries on the search for New York-style pizza in Seattle."

so we're not just foodies we're SUPER-foodies! Where's my cape? :laugh:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Thanks to the other stores, we still have some of the Salumi left.

Seriously. :biggrin:

We'll have it on the line tomorrow, wednesday the 9th., and then for real, that will probably be it until next year.

Thanks to the other stores, we still have some of the Salumi left.

Seriously.  :biggrin:

We'll have it on the line tomorrow, wednesday the 9th., and then for real, that will probably be it until next year.

Jason, I had one of your special Pizza Biancas this weekend and it was superb. Olive oil, garlic, a nice somewhat salty cheese on top...mmmm. After adding chili pepper flakes, it was perfect! Wish you had it all the time.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Sorry I'm going to miss the Salumi (I have meetings all day, but lunch is being catered). Jason, do you generally know what the special "Slices of the Day" are going to be ahead of time, or is at the whim of who ever's cooking? I confess to being a fan of Hawaiian and Mushroom Primo pies.

Deborah,

If you are still searching for that perfect pizza, I'm re-enforcing what Trillium said several months ago. Scholls Pizza House has moved from my back yard to Portland (Sigh!) and renamed A Pizza Scholls. Brian's genius with the dough, and the best quality toppings, make a memorable pie. You won't be disappointed.

Deborah,

If you are still searching for that perfect pizza, I'm re-enforcing what Trillium said several months ago. Scholls Pizza House has moved from my back yard to Portland (Sigh!) and renamed A Pizza Scholls.  Brian's genius with the dough, and the best quality toppings, make a memorable pie.  You won't be disappointed.

Thank you! I've heard great things about them and plan on trying them on our next trip to Portland. :smile:

The new place near me is called Zagi's and there's a little review (and mention of this discussion thread!) in this week's Belltown Messenger.

http://www.belltownmessenger.com/032005/032005-ronald.html

Just a line to let you know that the author of the item making reference to eGullet.org is none other than Cornichon ... who's also an active eGullet member. Well, maybe not THAT active, but avid.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a 21" pizza from Zagi's - very special combo. They crumbled the first one putting it in the oven, so sold it as slices and built me a new one. Nice gesture, but it took awhile. I loved having options such as roasted garlic and potatoes. That is a big pizza. One slice would have done it for me...Tasty ingredients, the crust was okay, but didn't wow me. Stone baked, not wood fired.

Has anyone tried the Firefly? 

I tried it when my niece was here visiting, largely out of curiosity, because I noticed they have a wood burning oven.

First off, they don't run their oven NEARLY hot enough. I asked one of the chefs and he told me it was currently running at 523°, which isn't even as hot as you can run your own kitchen oven.

The pizza wasn't horrible, the sauce was nice enough, I got a margherita because it seems to be a good 'test' pizza for anywhere. I thought the crust was a little thick on my visit.

Doesn't beat Lago :wub:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Okay folks, I am headed to Portland this weekend including a visit to Apizza Scholls. What is the best tasting pie in the place? I am usually a pizza purist and stick with just cheese or a very select few ingredients, but my gentleman companion likes the combination pizzas. Any recommendations, be it the pizza to pick or the best time to go?

Okay folks, I am headed to Portland this weekend including a visit to Apizza Scholls.  What is the best tasting pie in the place?  I am usually a pizza purist and stick with just cheese or a very select few ingredients, but my gentleman companion likes the combination pizzas.  Any recommendations, be it the pizza to pick or the best time to go?

Consacrer,

For the first time visitor it is best to stick with the plain pie (cheese) or the marg. Combinations are limited to 3 ingredients with no more than 1 meat. I'd go with the sausage or hot capicollo.

As for times to go either be in line at 4:45 or wait until after 8 but not later than 8:30. Usually out of dough by 9-9:30

Rodney

Consacrer,

For the first time visitor it is best to stick with the plain pie (cheese) or the marg.  Combinations are limited to 3 ingredients with no more than 1 meat.  I'd go with the sausage or hot capicollo.

As for times to go either be in line at 4:45 or wait until after 8 but not later than 8:30.  Usually out of dough by 9-9:30

Rodney

Thanks for the advice! I'll report back here when all is said and done.

Mmmmm..... I am still reveling in that heavenly pizza from Apizza Scholls. We had the plain pie, which was anything but plain. I can't put words to it except to say that it was simply perfection.

We got in the door right at 5:00pm and had to wait about 30 minutes for the pizza so in the mean time shared the seasonal salad and a plate of olives. Both delicious. We were seated at the bar so we browsed a book about cheese supplied by the pizzeria while listening to the happenings around us. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to people come in and demand some kind of special service. More than half the people who came in ended up walking out because they couldn't handle the intricate rules placed before them by the servers. No take out. Only one size pizza (unless you are a single sitting at the bar). No half and halfs on the house pies. No more than three toppings. No ordering food at the bar unless you eat it at the bar. No waiting inside the restaurant. No delivery. When they run out of anything (pizza dough, a specific topping, speciality drinks, etc.), that is it. No one gets special treatment. It was beautiful.

Of course, when the pizza arrived, all other things slipped aside and I discovered perfection.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a 21" pizza from Zagi's - very special combo. They crumbled the first one putting it in the oven, so sold it as slices and built me a new one. Nice gesture, but it took awhile. I loved having options such as roasted garlic and potatoes. That is a big pizza. One slice would have done it for me...Tasty ingredients, the crust was okay, but didn't wow me. Stone baked, not wood fired.

I just tried a slice at Zagi's a few days ago. Terrible. Like the cheap crappy pizza I ate in college. Ginormous slices with lousy cheese, huge pools of grease that poured off as I picked the slice up and crust so dry it crumbled when I bit into the edge. Granted this was a slice and who knows how long it had been sitting there - I'm sure the crust is a lot better on a fresh pie. I'm sure the grease is not. Still, it reminded me instantly of the cheap joint I used to go in college to get monstrously-large slices of pizza for very little money. Except that Zagi's was less cheap (inflation I suppose). I might at some point go back and actually order a pie to see if it's any better when fresh and made to order. I suspect it will still be very weak. I think it's trying to be the sort of pizza that Hot mama's is and while the latter is by no means stupendous, it is tasty and cheap and brings to mind random pizza joints in nyc - the little no-name jobbies that were never great but tended to at least be servicable and convenient.

Edited by Placebo (log)

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell