• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

Sadly, at least for this post, I sold the house last spring. Here's a picture of the pizza oven in the back yard. Now Deborah, if you had started this thread in the summer of 2003...

Wow--that pizza looks fabulous! Hmmmmmm how about building one at your new house??? I'll bring dessert! :biggrin:

Think the condo association will go for it, Mike? :biggrin:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sadly, at least for this post, I sold the house last spring. Here's a picture of the pizza oven in the back yard. Now Deborah, if you had started this thread in the summer of 2003...

Wow--that pizza looks fabulous! Hmmmmmm how about building one at your new house??? I'll bring dessert! :biggrin:

Think the condo association will go for it, Mike? :biggrin:

Thanks, and I doubt it. :biggrin:

I can't even put a hibachi on the deck! :angry::angry::angry:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

We had the Salumi Primo last night, and they must have been hearing comments through the grapevine because it was not at all greasy. Quite tasty, and I was happily surprised that it was not too fennel-y. I love the finocchiona salami, but was worried that the actual fennel would send the pie off into overly liquorish land. Not at all, it was lovely. Now I just want them to do a Salumi pizza with a red-sauce base because "white pizza" is good, but it's not really pizza :raz:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I sent most of this to FaiJai privately, but I just realized that I hadn't posted anything here.

We went to the Pagliacci location on The Ave on Wednesday night: Everything was super. The folks behind the counter were nice, and the pie was really good, although I concur with the "hell, that is one greeeazzzy slice!" consensus. We're no pork-fat-haters, but we soaked through two or three napkins per slice and we could easily have kept blotting. I took 2 leftover pieces to work yesterday for breakfast, and I couldn't make it past the first one -- it's that rich. I think you could hurt yourself if you ate this one to fast. :smile:

We both loved the Mama Lil's peppers: now I will buy them in stores instead of wondering if they're good. :raz: The finocchiona sausage is so strongly peppercorn flavored that I don't know if I would have known there was fennel in the sausage -- or realized those slices of vegetable were fennel -- unless I had been told.

But these are not complaints ... it was super-tasty and the overall combination works. Now I really miss having Pagliacci pizza delivered. :sad:

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

interesting...eden - where do you live?

we had the salumi primo last night from the WS pagliacci. after the comments on this thread i too expected a lot of grease, but there was nothing notable...clean box, no pooling or suspicious "juices". i had thought that in addition to the salami, the peppers might add to the oilyness (since they come in oil) but ours were well drained and prepped. as a bonus, the crust was thinner than usual and perfectly golden. 10 minutes in a hot oven on a hot stone and it was lovely.

i do agree with anita about the fennel. the flavor is not that strong (i love fennel so that wasn't necessarily good for me) though i do think it adds a tiny note of sweetness. and while ours was not oily - it was rich. 2 slices for dinner is not normally enough to satisfy me, but i was just fine last night.

terrific pizza.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

We're in Ballard so I assume our pizza comes from the Pagliacci's on 85th near 10th or so.

thanks for the brand name of those pepperoncini, they're quite tasty.

Hi All --- And Anita! I see you are active on this topic now.

SO glad that you all like the pie! It's been doing REALLY well for us. I'm glad that hopefully some new people are getting turned onto both our pizza and Armandino's meats!

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I really can't wait to try this pizza. My kids have ordered more than 200 Pagliacci pizzas in the past couple of years..I think we are (a little) famous with the people who answer the delivery phones. Have you all noticed how nice those all those people are?

Carla

Dammit, it sounds like I may need to try this stuff. I love the finnochiona from Salumi and take some hom enearly every time I go in (which is to say once every week or two). I generally cannot stand pagliacci though. I find their "pizza" to be just downright terrible. Inedible - I'd rather go hungry than go there. I am admittedly a Brooklyn pizza snob so ymmv.

But, for the Salumi pizza, I will try it again. I will need to see if the pagliacchi near me (on 85th in Crown Hill) has it. Otherwise I'll hit the Broadway one the next time I'm on cap hill.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

If you want more fennel flavor, put the leftover pizza in the frigde for 36 hours & reheat it for say breakfast :raz: The fennel flavor definitely has had time to develop, but the peppers haven't gone insane so it's quite tasty.

Pizza = breakfast of champions! :biggrin:

Eden

Have you all noticed how nice those all those people are?

Carla

It's incredible, I think. I've never had *anything* but a great experience from that business, and I don't know anyone who has. One wonders how well that can continue to scale (or if it is intended to) but... yeah, I'm glad someone else notices what a pleasure Pag's makes it to call up and surrender money.

I generally cannot stand pagliacci though.  I find their "pizza" to be just downright terrible.  Inedible - I'd rather go hungry than go there.  I am admittedly a Brooklyn pizza snob so ymmv. 

Is this a case of the word 'pizza' being applied to something you don't think of as pizza?

If that's the case, well, I guess I understand. I mean, I'm from Chicago, so I know what real pizza is and can forgive you Brooklyn "snobs" for grossly misunderstanding the definition of the word 'pizza'. ;-)

What I meant to ask: is there something about the quality of the product that turns you off, or is it that it doesn't look like what you think of as pizza?

Is this a case of the word 'pizza' being applied to something you don't think of as pizza?

If that's the case, well, I guess I understand.  I mean, I'm from Chicago, so I know what real pizza is and can forgive you Brooklyn "snobs" for grossly misunderstanding the definition of the word 'pizza'.  ;-)

What I meant to ask: is there something about the quality of the product that turns you off, or is it that it doesn't look like what you think of as pizza?

This is a great articulation of how I feel about pizza that's not from the area where I grew up (right outside NYC).

Occasionally I find myself craving Chicago-style deep dish, but for me it's a craving unto itself and it's separate from what I consider a pizza craving. Good deep dish is damn good in its own right, but for me, it's not pizza. Because pizza is the best exemplar of the pizza I grew up with, which is NYC-Philly pizza.

Once again I invite one of you ex-New Yorkers or Chicagoans to open up a "real" pizza joint. Until then Pagliacci will do for me (though Pazzo's on Eastlake is the best!)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Well, I like Chicago-style pizza as well. I tend to find Paggliachi's to lack flavor and be too goopy with cheese. I think to some degree it's a question of ingredient quality (which is why the Salumi pies make me consider tryign them out again). The pizza I love isn't just good because it's done in the style I like but because it has incredibly fresh and high-quality ingredients. While Pag's certainly tends to use better stuff than pizza hut or the like it's still not up to what I love at Grimaldi's. Via Tribunali scratches my NYC pizza itch (though they appear to use canned mushrooms on their funghi pie which seems a little sad for a $9 one-person pizza). I also quite enjoy the pizza at Il Forno (that tiny little place on Olive just above I-5), Toscana, Hot Mama's and a couple other places and while none of them satisfy my NY pizza cravings, I do enjoy eating thieir stuff. Pagliacci has just always rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps it's time to give them another go as it's been a while.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell

THere's apparently some new NY style pizza place (so they claim anyway) up here in Greenwood/Crown Hill. There was a flier posted by my bus stop. I will attempt to investigate more closely sometime soon.

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell

Has anyone tried the Firefly? My understandign is that the joint is a Queen Anne place but it wasn't until they dropped a flier in my mailbox that I decided to give them a shot (okay, so it after a few shots w/friends that we decided it)... I must say: I've been a Pag's devotee for a long, long time and yet I may end up switching to these cats.

There are a few very good things to say about this pizza: the dough is rolled incredibly thin; the toppings are placed generously and with care (a rare thing, IMHO, in Seattle); the folks answering the phone want to know *exactly* how to get to your place (which was weird for a second, but at least they're trying to get it right); the crusty edges were puffy, airy, and yet crispy; and to top it off, the price was quite decent.

The few times I've gone by the restaurant, it seemed like the kind of place I didn't want to go into. Their website, which gives me the creeps, also makes me want to run away.

I drove by Firefly a few weeks ago, it's changed to Luminere or something?

We had the Pag Salumi Primo last night. I really like Pag pizza, so does Dayne. I'm born and bred west coast and as far as west coast pizza it is the most consistant I've found.

We really liked the Salumi! LOVED the fennel, yummmm! And of course the salami was fantastic! Great job!

We had the Pag Salumi Primo last night. I really like Pag pizza, so does Dayne. I'm born and bred west coast and as far as west coast pizza it is the most consistant I've found.

We really liked the Salumi! LOVED the fennel, yummmm! And of course the salami was fantastic! Great job!

I'm jealous - We also had the Salumi Primo last night, and unlike my first try a week ago, which was perfect, this pie was undercooked and as greasy as described above :sad: Sad that there's such a variation in quality control from pie to pie on this. I love the flavor combo...

I had a great lunch at the Pagliacci on the Ave (and got to meet Jason who was Primo busy making pies). I had a slice of the Salumi Primo and a slice of the Super Mushroom (and a free Root Beer thanks to knowing the answer to tdoay's "Question of the Day", which I get right about 80% of the time).

I think people who don't like P's fall into two camps: Pizza snobs who've been to NYC or Chicago and refuse to endorse any pizza outside those areas, or pizza know-nothings who think Godfathers is fine dining.

Though there are a few sit down places I like better for a whole pie (Pazzo's comes to mind) I think Pagliacci (Particularly the one on the Ave) is the best place for a couple quick slices and a soda, and I haven't found a delivery place that's any better.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

A little bird told me that Pagliacci's is running through their salumi at a speedy clip, so if you want to try the Primo (again?), I suggest you boogie on down there -- or speak with those swell folks on the delivery line -- before they run out. Sources say that it probably won't last to the end of the month.

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

A little bird told me that Pagliacci's is running through their salumi at a speedy clip, so if you want to try the Primo (again?), I suggest you boogie on down there -- or speak with those swell folks on the delivery line -- before they run out. Sources say that it probably won't last to the end of the month.

~A

Why...who could that have been??? :shock::wink::raz::laugh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com