• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

I hadn't been on 15th on Capitol Hill for a long time (except to go to Kidd Valley) si I never noticed Palermo's before. Has anyone been?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've ordered from Palermo's more times than I'd like to admit. The owners are, as I understand it, Bulgarian. The pizza is definitely "Greek style" -- somewhat greasy, somewhat thick crust, lots of cheese. I love their pizza and the owners and staff there could not be nicer. They even have a decent wine selection.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Just returned from yet another visit to Via Tribunali. Another incredible pizza experience. The service tonight was perfect. Our server not only was tasteful in her suggestions, but tactful; less is always more in my book, and she let us enjoy our meal without completely ignoring our table. Needless to say, water glasses were always full and our Moretti's were none a bit of the same. I had the proscuitto(cut from Salumi proscuitto), my friend had the Funghi. The last time I was there the crust was a bit over salted, but not tonight, it was nothing less than sublime. I wish I could have cut you all off a bite, but I managed to finish the whole thing(I guess that's what happens when you go walking for five miles without eating lunch). On our way out we bumped into Mike, the owner, and he shook our hands and thanked us for coming in. What a great dining experience.

I am moving to Portland in a few weeks and barely know Via Tribunali, yet I will miss it.

Kyle

• 4 weeks later...

This is SO frickin' cool...

I was at work Thursday night when one of the owners call...

"Hey, Jason...Whatcha' doing Monday morning?"

"Uh, dunno, why?"

"Well, we're doing that pie with the salami from Armandino's place and we were wondering if you wanted to come help make the salami for it?(!!!) :blink::blink::blink:

"When did you say you wanted me there?" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I"M FREAKIN MAKING SALAMI WITH ARMANDINO!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Ok, I'll lay off the smileys...I'm supposed to dress warmly.

This is for our upcoming Salumi Primo, available from Pagliacci starting sometime around the beginning of February.

God, I can't wait...

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

If you don't take pictures, we will come and find you and ... um.. tell bad knock-knock jokes at you.

(this, more than ever, means we NEED a Madison Valley branch of Pagliacci  :sad: )

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I will try, however, as Malarkey is a sad witness to, me and digital cameras don't get along to well. I can take the pix, however, getting them off of the camera is the thing I'm not too good at...(Hopefully I will have better luck at this time I am at Salumi.)

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

OK...

The report on the Salami making at Salumi yesterday is coming...but I'm at work so I am going to report this fisrt, and the Salumi post will be later on 2night after I've gone home.

FYI...Paglaicci will be donating all of Thursday, Jan 20th's profite to tsunami releif. (Mercy Corps, I beleive) If you were going to order a pizza this week, could I suggest that you do it Thursday? :smile:

More later....

Our Salumi Primo starts on Thursday, Feb 3.

Olive Oil Base, Mozzarella and Fontina,Mama Lil's Mild Peppers, Roasted Fennel, and Finocchiona from Salumi.

Can't wait...

As always, 726-1717in Seattle and 425-453-1717 on the Eastside for Delivery.

I REALLY hope ya'll like it! :smile:

Jason

Both.

I am going to be telling the other pizzerias to try to sell the hell out of it. We here at the University store generally try to run the seasonal once a week, however, I will be running this one twice a week, a weekday, (most likely Monday or Wednesday,) and on Saturday.

Hope to see some of you!

Jason

I had the pizza at the Ballard Farmer's Market and thought it was good, though wayyyy heavy on the fresh oregano (which of course could be left off)...so maybe that is why they said they would be taking winter off.

If Zagi's is the Farmers Market people (and if they're reading this), they need to work on getting their oven a little hotter -- their crust wasn't quite crisp enough. But good pizza nonetheless.

I'll be trying this tonight and will post a follow up.

Hal

I went to Zagi's yesterday. Its not bad, not bad at all. When you walk in there are 4-6 21" pizzas on display and they look good. Slices are very large NYC style slices for $3 - $4 a pop. I had a slice of cheese and then a slice of pepperoni that was just coming out of the oven.

The cheese slice was reheated in the oven and I felt like by the time it was done, the crust was just a bit too crisp -- I couldn't fold it in half to jam it in my mouth. Regardless the crust had a good developed flavor (maybe a little bit more rising time would help make it a great crust). The sauce was not overly anything, which is good, just a nice straight tomato sauce. Lots of cheese. The balance is very good and is a definate break from the thick crust, excessive sauce and topping pies that pervade Seattle. The fresher pepperoni slice was not quite as done, and was much better, there was some give in the crust but it still had a crisp character.

I talked for a while with the owner Ryon, who is a nice guy and very excited about pizza. He uses imported tomatoes for the sauce, makes the cheese fresh, and lets the crusts rise in the cooler for a prolonged rising time.

Their menu also lists salads, soups, subs (on fresh baked bread), pasta, etc.

Our Salumi Primo starts on Thursday, Feb 3.

Olive Oil Base, Mozzarella and Fontina,Mama Lil's Mild Peppers, Roasted Fennel, and Finocchiona from Salumi.

Can't wait...

As always, 726-1717in Seattle and 425-453-1717 on the Eastside for Delivery.

I REALLY hope ya'll like it!  :smile:

Jason

Jason,

I have been looking forward to the arrival of this pizza next Thursday. Living in Seward Park, we are outside the delivery area, so I thought I would drive into a Pagilacci's. Should we come up to your store in the U District, or would the one in Montlake or Captial Hill be just as good?

Jane

Should we come up to your store in the U District, or would the one in Montlake or Captial Hill be just as good?

Jane

We'll have it on the Slice Bar Wed and Saturday. It will be available to order at all other times, tho!