• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

Every time I've ordered from Mad Pizza, the crust in the middle was uncooked.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Well, this thread just solved my "what's for dinner tonight" query. Too busy to cook, so Pagliacci it is!! Love that Luigi :wink:

1/2 South Philly and 1/2 Prosciutto Primo :wub: (and I'm going to ask for extra done crust this time, cause the only quibble I ever have is with delivery, the crust in the center is a bit soggy.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

The few times that it wasn't it was quickly replaced with a smile, but I tip well and the service is always good.

Speaking of tipping, what do you all tip for pizza delivery? We have a disagreement in our household over what is appropriate.....

I also like the AGOG, but I have them hold the fresh tomatoes (they make the crust too wet imho) and substitute artichoke hearts. Yum.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I tip about between $3-6 for an order that's between $16-30.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Speaking of tipping, what do you all tip for pizza delivery? We have a disagreement in our household over what is appropriate.....

$5 and up...(there are only 2 of us, so it's usually $15-$22)

they bring it to my house...how cool is that? i'm delighted to show them my love. our pagliacci driver (WS) is very attentive.

the other thing that rocks about them was during the world series. i called to place an order and the order taker changed how my order was keyed in to the computer -- saving me a dollar. (and he was very diplomatic about the game - which in my sorrow, i very much appreciated!)

i'll have to ask them too "cook it well" thanks!

edited to say - it's not the greatest pizza - but good customer service and quality ingredients have made them my standard.

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

If you want to look at pictures of "real NY pizza" check out this eGullet thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=35551

Tomorrow I am going to buy a digital camera and take pictures of the next pizza I eat!

So can we call up Pagliacci's and say "I want a pizza made the way Irwin likes it" and try it out?  :wink:

That might work. When we ordered pizzas for work at my last company, we'd give them a couple home phone numbers so we could get people's favorite combinations of toppings..

Besides asking for the "Irwin Special", ask the operator at Pag's what the "frequent pier" special is for the night. They usually offer a large salad for the price of a small, or 75 cents for two ltr of soda.

I didn't make it to the new pizza place but did give Il Fornaio a try. Since I don't want to hijack this thread, I'll start a new one.

"Irwin Special"... :laugh::raz::laugh:

I talked to the GM of the Delivery Kitchen that Irwin orders from today. He advises to ask for the crust to be "very well done".

Good tip on asking for the frequent pie'r, BaconFat!

Have a nice weekend! :wink:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Just wanted to let everyone know that we didn't have a NY Style pizza this week due to the holiday(husband wasn't going into Seattle for school Thursday night) so instead we ordered from Pagliacci. One thing that I've found with pizza delivered and/or picked up that really helps is to preheat your oven to 450 and then pop your slices in for a few minutes. Makes it crisper and tastes much better. My mantra is "No soggy pizza!"

So next week we will try another place. :biggrin:

SO, Deborah...

What did you get and how was it?

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Does anyone know if that new pizza place (run by Caffe Vita) on Capitol Hill is open to the public yet? It wasn't when I checked on 11/9.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

SO, Deborah...

What did you get and how was it?

:biggrin: Welllllllllllllll we got the usual! Half pepperoni and half with sausage and onions. Overall pretty good (although I must confess I like Hot Mama's better now). Popped my slices in the oven for a few minutes and liked how it crsiped it up a tad.

I do 20%, or $2, whichever is the greater sum. Got that suggestion from this site:

http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/

edit to add: the site suggests starting at 15% and going up or down accordingly, but I'm personally good for 20% all the time, mostly from an awareness of what it's like to work jobs like that, especially wrt the hidden costs, unless they personally did wrong by me, which to date has never happened.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Scorched Palate ---

I talked with one of the owners last night.

He advises that they would love to put a location in the Madrona/Madison Park area, (he used to live in Madrona, actually, and could not get delivery to his house).

However, they have not found the right location yet, and they are, (as he put it)

"picky".

They would rather wait and get the perfect location, (knowing them, they have some in mind and are just waiting) rather then just put something in just for the sake of, well, putting something in!

Um....good things come to those who wait? :laugh:

Scorched Palate ---

I talked with one of the owners last night.

He advises that they would love to put a location in the Madrona/Madison Park area <snip>

However, they have not found the right location yet, and they are, (as he put it)

"picky".

<snip>

Um....good things come to those who wait? :laugh:

Jason:

This is great news! :biggrin: I understand -- I'm picky, too... which probably explains why I haven't had a pizza delivered in a year.

I'll put a reminder in my Palm for 6 months from now as pester you again :raz:

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

HA! :laugh:

Saving the worst for last :huh: ….hey wait that’s not how’s it supposed to go! So it was Thursday night and that means it’s time for Pizza. I did some hunting around trying to find a place that touts itself as a New York Style Pizza place because that’s what my thread and my quest is for and found a place called Pudge Brothers. Overall we were just not impressed. Again my review is based on comparing this pie versus what we had in NYC.

We got our standard half pepperoni and half sausage with onion.

Toppings: Very little flavor. It tasted like they were using cheaper ingredients compared to some of the other ones we have had.

Sauce: Too thick and not much flavor.

Crust: Ummmm no chew at all. It was actually a pretty soft crust overall (even after a good couple minutes in a hot oven). And the strange part was towards the edge it was like toast—crisp, hard, and airy.

Now for the pictures:

Whole:

gallery_13583_273_1100878043.jpg

Slice:

gallery_13583_273_1100878109.jpg

Crust:

gallery_13583_273_1100878077.jpg

Well the jouney was fun! We are going to keep an eye out for any new places that open. From the places we have tried we liked Hot Mama's overall the best and then Piecora's. My next mission may be to try making my own pizza. I know I won't be able to replicate what we had in NYC but it might still be good!

Thanks Deborah! But please don’t give up. Each week I have looked forward to seeing your pictures and reading your opinion.

I agree Pudge Brothers is not all that great, but there are other places I hope you try (before I do). I would still like your (or anyone’s) opinions on other delivery places like Stacia's, Amante's, Zeek's, Palermo’s, and Atlantic Street Pizza.

As you are looking for something closely resembling your experience in NYC, I am looking for the something similar to the pizza that I fell in love with growing up in Lacey (WA), back in the late 60's/early 70's, from two places long closed; Luigi's Pizzeria in Lacey and Shakey's in Olympia. There I developed a taste for thin crisp crust, with the occasional air bubble that signifies a HOT oven; a tasty red sauce with just the right amount of garlic and oregano; a mozzarella that, when you take a slice, holds on to the rest of the pie for dear life but does not pull all your toppings and cheese off onto the table; and fresh tasty toppings, especially a sausage with the perfect amount of fennel seeds.

I haven’t quite found it, so far, but have had very good pizza at Pazzo’s (right now my favorite), Tutta Bella, Palomino, Varlamos, Il Fornaio, and the Garage; and still have to try La Vita E’Bella (Belltown), Café Lago (Montlake), Santorini’s (Wedgewood), Wallingford Pizza House, Fremont Classic Pizzeria, Belltown Pizza, Luigi’s (near Fisherman’s Terminal), and Via Tribuani (the new place on Capitol Hill).

I figure I can afford to go to one untried pizzeria a month (since I also have about a dozen sushi restaurants still to try) and will report my findings (and take pictures).

Fremont Classic Pizzeria, Belltown Pizza,

I tried Fremont Classic not too many weeks back and was truly disappointed. Neither the pizza nor the salad did anything for me - except make me wish I had gone to Persimmon across the street.

Belltown seems to always be busy - I may have to try it one of these days.

I am really enjoying this thread because I love good pizza but can't afford (the calories) to eat it all the time. So, since there are others willing to try new places for me, I would like to add Harvey's Tavern to the list. This is a little place on Leary Way that years and years ago I used to frequent. When I worked in Fremont, my office got pizza from them all the time and it was delish. I don't remember much about it now and would be interested to see if it holds up to higher standards......

Thanks for doing my work for me :raz:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Thanks Deborah!  But please don’t give up.  Each week I have looked forward to seeing your pictures and reading your opinion.

Thanks! I'm glad you have enjoyed the reviews and photos. I am more than happy to continue on my quest but at this point I don't know of any other places that make NY Style Pizza(as opposed to other types of pizza). So I'll do more internet searching and if I can locate other places that make NY Style Pizza I'll be more than happy to review them. :smile:

Could you define again NY Style Pizza. I thought I knew what it was but am beginning to have my doubts.