• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Style Pizza in Seattle area

I'm glad you and I agree on NY Pizza. I couldn't believe anyone would prefer this over Pagliacci's, which I think gets an unfair rap on this and other boards.

Keep the pictures comin (I'll have to buy a digital camera one of these days).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Oh yes Pagliacii's is way better than A New York Pizza Place. Perhaps A New York Pizza Place was better before it changed owners.

Has anyone tried Post Alley Pizza? I see they are another NY Style Pizza place. Anyone know if they are open for dinner or is this a downtown lunch only place?

I need to figure out where we should go next week. I really do want to find the best NY Style Pizza in Seattle. Yes, I'm determined. :biggrin:

I'm glad you and I agree on NY Pizza.  I couldn't believe anyone would prefer this over Pagliacci's, which I think gets an unfair rap on this and other boards.

I really don't want to start a Pagliacci's flame war here, but maybe you (or another fan) could explain to me what the appeal is? I used to eat it when I was in high school because it was convenient and I didn't know any better. It is hands-down the worst non-national chain pizza I've eaten in the last few years. I find the crust particularly offensive.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Yes, I did try this for that very reason I'd heard it was New York style, as I work nearby. They're a hole in the wall where the bike messengers go! :biggrin: Mostly get pizzas by the slice, it was good, not fantastic. And yes, lunch only, just counter style and a couple tiny tables.

Oh yes Pagliacii's is way better than A New York Pizza Place. Perhaps A New York Pizza Place was better before it changed owners.

Has anyone tried Post Alley Pizza? I see they are another NY Style Pizza place. Anyone know if they are open for dinner or is this a downtown lunch only place?

I need to figure out where we should go next week. I really do want to find the best NY Style Pizza in Seattle.  Yes, I'm determined.  :biggrin:

And yes, lunch only, just counter style and a couple tiny tables.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I need a place where we can get a whole pie for dinner. So where to go next week? I really want to stick to places that are supposed to have New York Style Pizza.

I really don't want to start a Pagliacci's flame war here, but maybe you (or another fan) could explain to me what the appeal is?  I used to eat it when I was in high school because it was convenient and I didn't know any better.  It is hands-down the worst non-national chain pizza I've eaten in the last few years.  I find the crust particularly offensive.

Well if you think they are bad do not try A New York Pizza Place! :laugh: I agree thought that Pagliacci needs to work on their crust. That's my biggest issue with their pizza. But overall I think it's okay and much better than the other chains in my neighborhood.

But alas my quest for great, heck I'd settle for really good NY Style Pizza continues.

Edited by Deborah (log)

I'm sorry, I like Pagliacci more than any other place that delivers. The crust is thin and crisp (especially when I get it by the slice on the Ave). I think they use good sauce and cheese compared to just about any other place that delivers, my only knock against them is I'm not crazy about there sausage (too fancy). Pretty much every other Seattle pizza place that I liked better when I moved here in 1990 (Rocket, Abruzzi's, and Testa Rosa) closed long ago.

I am not crazy about "greek" styled pizza like Romio's or Olympia because their crust is to greasy and chewey and there is something wierd about their cheese. I heard Madame K's in Ballard was supposed to be the best, but it was literally the worst pizza I've had in Seattle (canned mushrooms!) Hot Mama's is a decent place to get a slice, but a "destination." I've had pizza delivered from Jet City, Mad Pizza, Bene, Zeke's, and Atlantic Street and I didn't like any of them as much as I like Pagliacci (but I'd love to find a better place than Pagliacci's that delivers). Jet City is the only one I dub terrible. I've also eaten at Northlake Pizza, Pudge Brothers, Bill's Off Broadway, Piecora's, Pizza Brava, Wild Tiger, Delfino's, Varlamos, and Pizza Time. There are pro's & cons for all of them, but I don't like any of them better than Pagliacci.

Personally, I've had much better pizza at Pazzo's, Tutta Bella, Palamino, even The Garage, but none of them deliver. I like a thin crisp crust, a well seasoned red sauce, 100% real mozzerella, and great toppings. There are still a few places I still need to try (La Vita E'Bella, Cafe Lago, Via Tribulani, etc.), but delivery I still prefer Pagliacci, and right now I'd say Pazzo's is the best walk in place.

I'm hoping Deborah takes a picture of a pizza that compels me to order from somewhere besides Pagliacci.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I really like Pagliacci's for delivery too. The crust is toothsome, but crispy on the bottom, and the ingredients are definitely of a higher quality than the majority of other chains.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Back when I lived on Queen Anne I used to get calzone's from Pazzo's (when they had a QA location) and thought they were good. I really need to try their pizza sometime....but those calzones always draw me in. :rolleyes:

Oh and I completely agree about Jet City Pizza---yuck! Really greasy and salty and completely inconsistent with their mediocre toppings (yes I had a pie delivered once that was partly naked and other times it seems globbed on). Jet City and Pagliacci are the two that are in my area and Pagliacci wins over them hands down!

Edited by Deborah (log)

Ok... Full Disclosure... I am the GM of the Pag's on the Ave.

Elswinger, Deborah, and Ms. Ramsey --- Thanks for the kind words, particularly to you, elswinger. Next time you are in look for the heavyset guy with the beard and the shirt with the collar and say hey. I'd love to put a name to the face.

Tighe --- Jeez, what can I say. Speaking strictly for myself (NOT ON BEHALF OF THE COMPANY,EVEN THOUGH IT MAY SOUND LIKE IT...) Sorry to hear that you are so unsatisfied with our pie. I will say that if you ever order one and you are unsatisfied with it, be it delivery or other wise, let us know, because we want to. Yeah, I know that it may sound like some company line that we want every customer to be satisfied, but at no other place that I have ever worked have I seen it more in evidence then at Pagliacci. I'll admit, we don't have wood burning ovens from a boutique oven maker, and our cheese does not come from free range cows that have never seen the inside of a pen and solely eat grass, but we do use the best ingredients that we can to put out a quality, affordable product.

We would love the chance to try to change your mind.

I am proud to work for them, they treat their employees well, and they do care.

I'll get off the soapbox now... :raz:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Uh, well, ya see what happened was..., well...

OK, so I really haven't liked Pagliacci the couple times I've had it over the past few years, but since there aren't any near where I live, I can't say I've given it a truly fair shot either. Some of it is probably personal taste, since, unlike elswinger, I do like the "Greek style" of pizza and count Pegasus and Olympia among my favs.

If anyone is looking for delivery pizza in the south end, I've recently discovered Pizza Gallery in Burien which I like a lot. Definitely more along the lines of Pegasus rather than Pagliacci style-wise.

My other standard rec for pizza is Stellar Pizza in Georgetown. Careful, their tomato sauce is spicy...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I would like to make some recommendations about "Pagliacci Pizza" I have been ordering Pizza from then since 1990 and they have almost never provided delivery of any pie that I ordered that wasn't carefully prepared according to my instructions about how I wanted my pie done. I was able to achieve this success because I was frustrated with even attempting to eat Pizza in Seattle, after enjoying it in NYC, New Haven, Philadelphia, Boston and other east coast locations.

The Manager in my neighborhood, "Pagliacci" was willing to pay attention and listen to how I preferred they prepare Pizza to my specification. Then by trial and error he managed to meet as closely as possible a close approximation.

This is done by working within the capabilities of the Ovens [High Quality] being used and available ingredient's. What's so very special about their method of operation is that no matter when I order a Pizza from anywhere in their delivery are, which has become very extensive they can call up my method of preparation via my home telephone number and name from their extensive computer file of all customers preferences this applies to the , Calzone's" as well.

They understand how I prefer my Pizza be baked, especially how I want the crust finished and my topping to be cooked together.

The deliveries are always quick and amazingly enough in this day and age many of the driver and the manager are still employed. I did know the previous owners personally after I became a customer and Jason [Fai Chai] is a good friend whom I met through eGullet, but my feeling are objective since I never kid about food.

The new owners have certainly tried to maintain and continue business by being service and quality orientated. I have tried Pizza at almost every place as I still seek what I can't obtain. There are several places that do prepare acceptable pie's, but not as consistent as they should. Certainly not for delivery.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

So can we call up Pagliacci's and say "I want a pizza made the way Irwin likes it" and try it out? :wink:

As to the sometimes floppy crust--that's one of the first things I noticed about Pagliacci's pizza--the fact that the pizza can be practically rolled up under certain conditions. Which is very typical of the pizza I grew up with in Philadelphia.

P.S. pagliacci by the slice is uneven, perhaps because it sometimes sits around for a while.

When I say "Greek-style" pizza I am usually refering to a thicker, softer, chewier crust, often a bit oily.

For this "Greek" style of pizza, I love Palermo on 15th (Capitol Hill).

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Cam and I love Pagliacci's -- we used to live right around the corner from the one on 85th and the pies would be blazing hot when they arrived.

We went into mourning when we moved to Madison Valley and realized we were just a few blocks outside their delivery zone for the Cap Hill location. We haven't had delivery pizza since. (OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

Fai Jai: Can we lobby your corporate HQ for a Madrona/Madison/Central location? We're going into South Philly and Pagliaccio Salad withdrawls. :wub:

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Laurel --- Kudos to you for working Luigi (thats the name the company has given our ordering software) like an absolute champ. that was great.

Pat --- Good question. Care to answer, Irwin? ;)

Scorched P. --- I'll let the owners know. I'm not privy to everything, but my sense is that they are trying to push North right now and encircle the lake. I agree that there is a lot of potential biz in Madrona/Madison Park area. (BTW...Have you tried The AGOG? Mmmmmm.....roasted garlic....(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds.....)

This may sound blasphemous, but I am really sorry to hear that Mad Pizza was so bad. I used to work for the guy that wrote the recipes and opened the Madison Park location, and one of my former employees was an assistant manager there b4 she got promoted to GM at their Fremont store. (Took them long enough, Onjoli! :raz: ) I haven't eaten any of their pie in awhile, but I used to really like the one that they put apples on.

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Jason ["Fai Chai"]

Your the insider at the source [Luigi' and also know my phone number.

I give you permission to ask Luigi what my instructions are when i place my order.

I enjoy the Calzone with some extra sauce and sometimes request some for various types of pies. I feel it's the best in town, done my way.

I also always remind the order taker to advise when placing my order that the pie should be cooked very well done to allow the bottom of the crust to solidify and set, so I can fold my slices NY style.

One thing about ,"Pagliacci" is that in my case the delivery person waits until I check the pie to see if it's done my way. The few times that it wasn't it was quickly replaced with a smile, but I tip well and the service is always good.

My way is the only way that a oven without the high heat can manage to come close to NY Style, when the thermostats are customized to bake at 750/850 degrees at the better Pizza places.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

(OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

Mad Pizza has gone into quality free-fall. Five or six years ago, I liked their pizza quite a bit, then a couple years ago it was not as good but still OK for a quick cheap lunch near my office, now it inhabits the 5th circle of hell and I'm not going back. I should amend my original Pags rant to say that it is certainly better than the current state of Mad Pizza.

(OK, once... the time we discovered Mad Pizza is gnarly-bad.)

Mad Pizza has gone into quality free-fall. Five or six years ago, I liked their pizza quite a bit, then a couple years ago it was not as good but still OK for a quick cheap lunch near my office, now it inhabits the 5th circle of hell and I'm not going back. I should amend my original Pags rant to say that it is certainly better than the current state of Mad Pizza.

It's horrendous. They use ingredients that are way past their freshness and sometimes downright rotten. I'm surprised they haven't been cited for it by the city yet.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Scorched P. --- I'll let the owners know. I'm not privy to everything, but my sense is that they are trying to push North right now and encircle the lake. I agree that there is a lot of potential biz in Madrona/Madison Park area. (BTW...Have you tried The AGOG? Mmmmmm.....roasted garlic....(Homer Simpson slobbering sounds.....)

This may sound blasphemous, but I am really sorry to hear that Mad Pizza was so bad.

Nope, we haven't tried the AGOG. Maybe we'll have to come and pick one up. <sigh> I really do miss nights in front of the TiVo with a Pagliacci pie...

(M/B)ad Pizza: our real estate agent gave us a $50 gift certificate when we moved in here, knowing how bummed we were about being outside the Pagliacci delivery zone. Our first night here, we used the certificate to buy a pie and a salad. Even though we'd told the person who took our order that we'd be using a huge gift certificate for a relatively small order, they didn't send the driver with a blank certificate to give us as change. So she had to take our certificate, go all the way back to Madison Park, pick up the filled-in replacement, and bring it back up the hill. Obviously, someone is *not* thinking ahead down there. The food was so terrible, and the process of using the gift certificate so utterly annoying, that I donated the leftover certificate to a raffle. Bad doesn't even begin to cover it.

Let us know who to send our plea to at PagsHQ. Circling the lake is an admirable goal, but you guys could snap up some cheap property on the edge of the CD and make a mint off of madrona, madison park, and madison valley: We have no good delivery pizza here at ALL.

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com