• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty coffee?

adegiulio

OK, so I am checking out this forum and see a nice banner ad for this company specialtycoffee.com. Has anyone tried this company? Reading their website, I really like their attitude. I normally order from Peets, but am tempted to give them a shot when my coffee runs low...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Looks interesting enough but it appears that they're a wholesale supplier of green beans for roasters.

The place that really interests me because of their approach to quality coffee and their involvement in / promoting of the single origin varietal is

Terroir Coffee

Their sample roaster Peter has invited me to visit and participate in a cupping but my schedule won't allow it for another month or so. The approach that they have to establishing direct relationships with growers and creating incentives for higher quality beans is exciting and encouraging. Many of us who are either aficionados or actually in the business see huge potential in the "terroir" concept as it can be applied relative to coffee (I speak generically of the terroir concept as it applies to wine and also coffee - not of the company by name).

We have many miles to go and years before it will even begin to touch on its potential but the prospect of greater variety and much higher quality coffees awaits us.