• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hallmark of St. James 25 year blend.

iamthestretch

I was in my local wine store today and decided to pick up some Scotch. I was in two or three minds about what to get until someone went in the back and pressed the above bottle into my hand.

It appears to be a house blend from the well known London spirits merchants, though their Web site gives no hint this even exists. It tastes its age, costs all of $30 and it's bloody good. Has anyone else come across this before? Perhaps it's a U.S.-only bottling?

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Hallmark of St. James's is no longer around (although the shop on St. James's still has their name above the door). It is quite a sad situation and is being investigated both in USA and UK for fraud. It is unfortunate that one of the directors of the company found the situation so bad that he took his own life. I think that there is a £5m hole somewhere.

I knew the people who ran the shop and did the whisky side of things (perfectly above board and legal) and can assure you that the whisky will be good. I will find out the distillery for you.

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to go into the shop now and again when I worked in the City years ago to goggle at their selection. With Berry Bros. & Rudd just down the street, it could get really expensive, really fast to walk down that block on the way to the Green Park tube stop.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.